Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re trimmed headlining

Views : 1124

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2021, 17:36   #1
AJV50

Default Re trimmed headlining

After weeks of looking in my rear view mirror and seeing my sagging head liner I decided to have a bash at re trimming it and I’m really happy with the results. I sourced the new suede trim and spray adhesive from a company called vandalized on eBay. I purchased 1.5 x 3m of scrim or foam backed fabric and it gave me enough to do the A pillar trims too. I’ve never done anything like this before and have watched a few YouTube vids to give me the confidence to try it. Removal of the headliner was straight forward removing the Jesus handles, the light console, rear light and sun visors. The most difficult part was removing the load guard holders, once I undid the clips they slide out so getting them cleared of the headliner was a bit of a faff. Once the headliner was down the amount of wires glued to the back of it was a bit overwhelming but I’d got this far so wasn’t about to turn back now I duck taped them to the roof as I removed them from the headliner so I knew everything was in about the same place. I’d got the headliner down and dropped all the seats to their lowest positions and attempted to pull it out through the boot, it did go but was a tight squeeze. I had to bend it from the edges and gently slide it out. The most tedious part of the the job was removing all the old foam from the old headliner but an hour outside with a wire brush and attention to detail sorted that, I knew and foam I’d leave would show through the new fabric and possibly effect the new adhesive from sticking. Once I was happy I laid my fabric out on top and trimmed it to rough size allowing plenty all round for any contours. I then folded the fabric back and started from the centre the the back then the centre to the front just sticking the fabric the the bottom of the headliner leaving the sides and the tricky bit at the front until last. The fabric is very forgiving and can easily be stretched over the contours which made the job really rather easy, with a bit of patience I was happy with the result the adhesive was amazing really strong if you apply it to the headliner and the back of the fabric it stuck instantly if just applied to the headliner it gave a few seconds of thinking and stretching time to get the tricky contours sorted. All that was left was to open the holes up where the light console goes and all the rest, a sharp Stanley knife blade made light work of it once I cut from the corners I folded the fabric round and stuck it to the underneath of the headliner. Trying to squeeze the headliner back through the tailgate was very nerving but a gentle touch and a lot of patience later it was in place. I am a joiner by trade and have never done anything like this before but the results look very professional. If you’re quite handy, confident and very patient you could easily accomplish this in a day. As soon as I figure out how to upload pics I will post them
AJV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 17:40   #2
AJV50

Pics from thread as promised, hopefully it’s worked
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AJV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 13:39   #3
eric19371
Clueless

Thank you very much for posting this especially listing the name of an eBay seller who supplied good materials. The headliner on my own V50 is one of my planned summer jobs. Nice to see it looks okay with the grey suede as I was thinking about that colour too, although I will probably stick with beige (aka Camel).

eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 18:14   #4
AJV50

Thanks, it’s a very rewarding job to have done. Admittedly the dark grey does make the interior look a bit smaller. It was between the light or dark grey for me with the colour of my interior and the dark seemed to be a better match. The suede is really nice I find myself stoking it at the traffic lights or in traffic, it’s very calming. Good luck with the job. I hope it goes as well for you as it has for me. I don’t know if I mentioned that I ordered 2 cans of spray adhesive and had about a quarter of a can left.
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 17:20   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV50 View Post
Thanks, it’s a very rewarding job to have done. Admittedly the dark grey does make the interior look a bit smaller. It was between the light or dark grey for me with the colour of my interior and the dark seemed to be a better match. The suede is really nice I find myself stoking it at the traffic lights or in traffic, it’s very calming. Good luck with the job. I hope it goes as well for you as it has for me. I don’t know if I mentioned that I ordered 2 cans of spray adhesive and had about a quarter of a can left.
did you not find that cloth soaked up the glue/showed through as it is really thin compared other roof linings i have

yes my V50 has the saggy at the back roof liner, lets hope the tailgate makes getting it out easier
sunroof and MMS just to make the job a PITA
(wait till you try taking the sunroof blind out,, thats Worse than the headliner for sagging)
Old Jun 27th, 2021, 14:53   #6
AJV50

I didn’t have any issues with soaking up or the adhesive showing through, when you spray it on it seems to lay on the top of the foam rather than soak in. The adhesive they supply doesn’t seem to be wet. I tried to glue the old sagging headliner back up a few times with some carpet spray adhesive and that showed through and didn’t stick at all. I can imagine having the sunroof to contend with would be a real pain and probably takes some strength out of the headliner so when you have to bend it to remove it out of the tailgate you’d have to be extra careful.
I’ll post some pics of an off cut to show how thick the suede is, I’ll hold it to the window and you can see that no light shows through. I’ll also spray some adhesive on it and take a pic of both sides so you can see that the adhesive doesn’t show through and how it sits on the foam backing. Hope this helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AJV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 15:06   #7
andy_d
Premier Member

Many thanks for that

yeps the big hole for the sunroof Will be a be Very careful when taking it out
taking the blind out Maybe a 3 mugs of coffee + donation to swear jar ,,,and re aligning the sunroof After replacing it Will be a "donation to swear jar",

https://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?...Path=5_198_344

is where i got my cloth from, having the Quartz trim colour and wanting to get as close to as possible,

https://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=633

a sample pack/book of all the options they do helped a lot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: