Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 1999 1.8 - Intermittent but often Dull knocking

Views : 2486

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 08:36   #11
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmac999 View Post
I had a similar knocking noise from offside front, turned out to be the top suspension bearing assembly. I'm now starting to hear a noise from the nearside and I suspect it now needs replacing too.
I think it's easier (and cheaper) to do the drop links as a first resort as the anti- roll bar bushes need the front sub-frame dropping.
Good luck, robmac

2000 S40 1.6 XS
My immediate thoughts were either loose radiator(s), steering column/rack, ARB bushing or suspension mount bearings but is it worth dropping the tray off the bottom and checking you've not got a broken engine mount?
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 02:32   #12
ElGreco

Default Steering fluid

Hi,

I have an S40 T4 2000model and used to get the same noises from time to time. Initially i thought it was somehing related to the steering system or suspension...

Guess what... it was the steering fluid! I had to add steering fluid and the noise disappeared! There must be some small leak of steering fluid in my case.

Have a look at your steering fluid level and add some if required and let us know if the problem is solved please.
ElGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 12:20   #13
makedo

Thanks for all the suggestions I have shook rattled and tested every part under the car, The steering fluid is fine, the rubers look alright. I initially thought it was the exhaust but that is fine.
The noise however seems to be getting worse, as the roads get bumbier the noise is more consistent, I can not see any problems with the springs or drop links or antiroll bar. I've checked engine mountings because we had to drop the engine on one side when replacing cam belt.
If I am on a flat road or motorway there is no noise at all, however my petrol consumption has recently dropped from about 30 to 25mpg not sure why?
I don't think these are related but you never know, or at least I don't but you may --- hopefully
Thanks
makedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:09   #14
julianps
Master Member

Did you check your fuel filter has not come adrift?
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:40   #15
Volvoline
Master Member

Top strut mounts ? Shake the car hard down and up with your ear on the top of the cone. Anything at all ? Should be dead silent.

When they go, there is extremely annoying knocking that makes the car feel like a box of nails and you want to throw it off a cliff and never look at it again,.

I had such a sound, got the top mounts done, then it all went silent but now I have another metallic quiet rattle over long unstable sufraces. Can't Also done drop links.. Not it....
I will let you know if I ever find the cause.
Volvoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 16:16   #16
Volvoline
Master Member

Alright, got it.
Loose strut mount nut.. Son of a gun !

Off topic quick question: Can you compress a spring safely (not all the way, just some) through the control arm with a 2 Ton hydraulic Jack and a piece of wood ? Will it hold ?
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:31   #17
makedo

Thanks checked fuel pump and that is fine, but keep suggesting.
Thanks

Last edited by makedo; Dec 20th, 2011 at 12:31. Reason: mis spelt
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:33   #18
makedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoline View Post
Top strut mounts ? Shake the car hard down and up with your ear on the top of the cone. Anything at all ? Should be dead silent.

When they go, there is extremely annoying knocking that makes the car feel like a box of nails and you want to throw it off a cliff and never look at it again,.

I had such a sound, got the top mounts done, then it all went silent but now I have another metallic quiet rattle over long unstable sufraces. Can't Also done drop links.. Not it....
I will let you know if I ever find the cause.
I'll give it a try but not sure if I can give it a good shake with my ear on the cone
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 13:24   #19
Volvoline
Master Member

Can you open the bonnet, and look throigh the gap on the strut top nut while you turn the wheel right to left left to right full locks ? If its going off center in any way while the nut is spinning, then your mounts are shot.

Clan helped me figure that out and my car drives so much nicer now

Just passing it on
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvoline For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 21:16   #20
makedo

Thanks for all responses. It did turn out to be the drop link however it was on the nearside and I could have sworn the noise was coming from the offside. Unfortunately I only found this out when it failed its MOT and also failed because of excessive wear on the bearing at the top of the nearside suspension. So well done both it looks like I had both problems you identified, now all I need to fix is the excessive travel on my brake pedal.

Tags
knocking noise