Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the top 10 problems with the 440/460 models?

Views : 8788

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:14   #51
amaz'in

B20F,

I meant the PRV as used in the 264/760 etc...their owners always say it's a great engine if looked after and understood...but it's certainly not in the realms of a B18/20 or b23/230......

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 15:46   #52
B20F
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaz'in View Post
B20F,

I meant the PRV as used in the 264/760 etc...their owners always say it's a great engine if looked after and understood...but it's certainly not in the realms of a B18/20 or b23/230......

J
Ok, sorry I misunderstood you then! But you're right about the PRV engines, Volvo's own engines are a lot better!
btw;
did you know that the 2.8 PRV was also used in the "back to the future" DeLorean?
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 16:01   #53
amaz'in

Yes...and that thing could run so fast..with a Flux capacitor..it could take you to a parrallel world... gotta laugh eh? great movies...

I think they also put them in the Renault GTA? in Turbo or I believe twin turbo form?..at least I think i'm correct on this?

The B20 and B23/230 series engines are incredible...I doubt we will see thier like again B20F?

Top Gear say Belgium isn't famous for anything...but I disagree....they gave us Bertelius who designed the B18..and Poirot too...that alone is good enough for me..

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 00:43   #54
triumphtoledo

Default more factors

Following Amaz’in’s earlier post, I know there was some comment doubting that the 340 and 440/460/480 are "real" Volvos and the this old argument does nark me a bit. I do see similar patterns in other car clubs, where owners of the larger (and often more expensive cars) 'look down' at the cheaper models and it appears the same is happening in the Volvo community.

Going by the same logic, as mentioned before, the PRV 260/760 were not true Ovlovs, neither was the S40/V40 with the Mitsubishi 1.8-litre engines and Renault diesels. The logic extends to the later S40 & V50, which possess Ford floor-pans and only some models have Volvo engines. Don't forget to write off the entire current ‘Drive’ range, which has the 1.6-litre Ford/PSA running gear, plus any 2.0-diesel models with the Peugeot engine...

Obviously, the logic doesn't add up. I recently drove a new S80 Drive from the Midlands to Belgium and back in a day, so I was not hanging around. The engine was very good; excellent in fact. I only hope the turbocharger lasts longer on the Volvos, compared to the Peugs/Cits/Fords that are also fitted with the same basic power-plant.

The thing was not rapid but performance was adequate and the S80 hauled three adults and lots of booze back to Blighty without feeling underpowered. Economy was pretty good. I was more worried by how cramped the S80 was inside and I found the seats to be a bit too narrow. Despite what my journalist colleagues might say, the packaging is not as good as the previous S80 (albeit slightly larger) but the criticism can be levelled at other cars, such as the current and previous generation Citroen C5s. Dare I say Volvo is following a worrying trend here, by building inverse tardiss?

The other comment about the Merc 190 being of superb quality is true but Daimler-Chrysler realised that building cars to that quality was not sustainable, from a profit per unit perspective, hence the enormous quality drop that followed throughout the majority of the range from the late 1990s, from which it is argued that Merc’s repute has still not recovered from. Do not believe the 3-series (or even the 1-series and MINI models) BMWs possess bulletproof reliability that is consummate with the larger models. Believe me, that company is very good as keeping glitches under cover, away from public gaze.

Back to topic, I still say the 400 series' biggest problem is under appreciation.

R
triumphtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to triumphtoledo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 01:49   #55
ahal
Master Member

Holy thread resurrection and all that ....

but in case anyone doubts the points made about the rear arches and where the sill meets the arch ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sill hole.JPG (91.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Arch patch.JPG (53.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Hole Kurust.JPG (64.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Sill filled.JPG (107.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Dude.JPG (149.1 KB, 25 views)
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 00:34   #56
glasgowjim

I believe that you cant beat a volvo for safety and my wife swears by them wont let me drive any other make/model of car apart from a 480.

Daughter totalled her 480 in heavy rain on bend 360'ed hit a wall and crash barrier front and back stove in and she stepped out without even a scratch or mark if that had been a corsa........

Have owned 240, 340 , 440 S40 and upteen 480's wouldnt drive anything else.
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glasgowjim For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 19:37   #57
Nifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20F View Post
The list is pretty accurate, other things to look at are the engine mounts especially the rear (gearbox) mount. You can also check for the gearlink bushes, if the gearstick feels sloppy in free and reverse is getting hard to get in the bushes are gone. Pretty easy and cheap to replace though.
Also check for oil leaks from the gearbox, check the CV boot on the left side. If that one leaks it's gearbox oil. The oilseal from the gearlinkage underneat the box are known to leak a bit. They all do, so be sure to keep the gearbox oil topped up. Best is to use Volvo gearbox oil, other brands can damage the bronze synchro's.

In the 440&460 only the turbo's are equipped with a board computer.
I have to agree with the mounts issue, had one that would lift it's engine clear of it's bay in reverse as the rear mount bush has completely perforated.
Nifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 19:48   #58
Nifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgardener9 View Post
I see we now have some plankton who have appeared and they have remarked that their volvo 440 has done 10000000 miles without costing anything and it does 800000 miles to the gallon. And it's faster than any other car ever made.

without any faults whatsoever .

well if ever there was bullsh*t masquerading as truth there it is. These cars are shyte, ill conceived, built shyte, and totally trounced by anything made west of margate.

Let us not deceive ourselves people - these cars are slow - yes even the mega fast turbo is slow, the gearboxes are cr*p the electronics are dire and the have more faults than Jordan. I have had enough of my festering heap and it will be sold as soon as I am back from holiday.

I hope to buy a japanese car which will work have decent acceleration and actually go round corners without one weeks notice.
LOL good luck with that, after 3 years of owning 2 of these (one written off with not a single bruise) I can safely say that for the £500 i spent on each of mine I could not have had a better car for £2500. Your 'festering heap' was probably just that, learn how to evaluate a used car before you buy it next time.
Nifton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nifton For This Useful Post: