Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pilot Assist update?

Views : 1371

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 14:12   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Default Pilot Assist update?

Hi All,

I came across this article which looks like pilot assist has had a software upgrade - anyone know if its applicable to current vehicles?

It suggests the car now asks the driver if you want to activate Pilot assist when under the correct conditions and activate by holding both shifters on the steering wheel (so RDesign only I guess!).

https://www.motortrend.com/news/volv...-how-it-works/
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 15:17   #2
airforced

From looking at the article, in what I think is an American magazine it may only apply to that market. It also says the following;

Which Volvo Cars Have Pilot Assist? Is It a Standard Feature?

Every Volvo vehicle offers the feature. Volvo Pilot Assist is standard equipment on the 2020 S90, XC90, V90, and V90 Cross Country. On all other models, it is available as part of the Advanced Package. The package often costs $2,500, though the price varies depending on model configuration.

Not sure I would want it anyway. I'm old fashioned and prefer to do my own car control. Don't trust these automated'ish bits on modern cars and god forbid the day when true automated cars are let loose on our roads. Mind you, I think I will have given up driving by then.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 16:21   #3
Fursty Ferret

That's a still from an old video from when Volvo were planning to introduce hands-off Pilot Assist on pre-mapped roads. No relevance to the Pilot Assist fitted to any current Volvo.

You can see, though, if you track down the original video, that this is probably what that pointless "box" thing in the top-centre of the instrument cluster was originally designed for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AGRSPolgQ

Hope this helps.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 17:27   #4
V90Towman

I wish the Pilot Assist would keep more centre of the white lines in a lane instead of sitting to the left, it's a little unnerving when you pass large vehicles on your left. Although i know it is aware they are there and i'm sure the car would mitigate any contact. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if Merc's BMW's or Audi's come with anything similar? I find auto-pilot a benefit on a long journey especially slow stop / start traffic. As my wife said i know when the car is in control and when you are driving!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V90Towman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 18:39   #5
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V90Towman View Post
I wish the Pilot Assist would keep more centre of the white lines in a lane instead of sitting to the left, it's a little unnerving when you pass large vehicles on your left. Although i know it is aware they are there and i'm sure the car would mitigate any contact. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if Merc's BMW's or Audi's come with anything similar? I find auto-pilot a benefit on a long journey especially slow stop / start traffic. As my wife said i know when the car is in control and when you are driving!
Pilot Assist has ongoing issues regarding apparent favouring the left of a lane. I raised it 3 years ago with my previous V90. At the time the dealer did something and also "replaced a sensor". They also said that and again I quote "there are other thing we could do". Around the same time other owners were reporting that they were told it could not be tweeked. Who was given the correct information?. Anyway, I learnt to live with it. On the evidence of a couple of weeks and about 700 miles my new V90 R Design suffers the same issues. It would be interesting to ask drivers of LHD cars in other countries what their views on the matter are.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 19:06   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It does look like it is too far over to the left from the driving position view point and certainly further over than I and most drivers normally drive but the radar/sensors are actually keeping the car in the middle of the lane.
If viewed from the passenger side you get a different view point and it looks too far to the right of the lane.
I have asked a few passengers where they perceive it to be positioned from the passengers seat view point a few times and they have said right of centre.
I would still like it a bit more to the right but I am used to it now.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:47   #7
Fursty Ferret

Road camber has a lot to do with it. Also if each lane is a slightly different material (recently resurfacing etc) it'll sometimes use the boundary as a guide. Depending on where they painted the white lines, this has an impact on positioning.

Sometimes it just get it wrong. I've experienced the lane assist system intervening against pilot assist when it's drifted outside the lane.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 08:57   #8
Chief inspector
Master Member

As per the posts above, it sitting in the passenger seat it doesnt appear that you are too far off centre.

The problem is that due to perspective from the drivers seat and camber, drivers often sit too far to the centre on multi lane roads. If everyone was using a lane guidance system they would all be nearer the centre and this effect would not be as bad.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:09   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
Hi All,

I came across this article which looks like pilot assist has had a software upgrade - anyone know if its applicable to current vehicles?

It suggests the car now asks the driver if you want to activate Pilot assist when under the correct conditions and activate by holding both shifters on the steering wheel (so RDesign only I guess!).

https://www.motortrend.com/news/volv...-how-it-works/
The steering wheel gearchange switches have been deleted now .. I never saw the point in them when they were launched , the gearbox was always in full control .. .
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 17:50   #10
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
That's a still from an old video from when Volvo were planning to introduce hands-off Pilot Assist on pre-mapped roads. No relevance to the Pilot Assist fitted to any current Volvo.

You can see, though, if you track down the original video, that this is probably what that pointless "box" thing in the top-centre of the instrument cluster was originally designed for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AGRSPolgQ

Hope this helps.
Cheers for that - this forum is great at finding out all things Volvo!