Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 14778

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 14:39   #181
Ammorack

Idle is now 650-750rpm and I renewed idle screw on throttlebody. And adjusted throttlebody 0,15mm. So far it’s idling great.
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 16:21   #182
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
Idle is now 650-750rpm and I renewed idle screw on throttlebody. And adjusted throttlebody 0,15mm. So far it’s idling great.
The TPS now clicks when the throttle is moved from/to idle?

Does it rev above 3000rpm now?

If not, pull fuse #1 for a few minutes, refit and test again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 16:49   #183
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The TPS now clicks when the throttle is moved from/to idle?

Does it rev above 3000rpm now?

If not, pull fuse #1 for a few minutes, refit and test again.
It revs above 3000rpm. Tps click with 0,15mm feeler. And 0,45mm doesent click. So it’s adjusted.

So far it’s idling good. I don’t know if that car decides to change it mind a go for a bad idling. But now it’s idling great. It’s still the issue with idling and electricity. Idle is going rough with heater for rear window off. But I have decided that I have to live with that. Idle is great and is working so far

Sometimes not always. Tachometer bounces up and down sometimes. Not always.

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 6th, 2020 at 17:04.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 17:22   #184
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It revs above 3000rpm. Tps click with 0,15mm feeler. And 0,45mm doesent click. So it’s adjusted.

So far it’s idling good. I don’t know if that car decides to change it mind a go for a bad idling. But now it’s idling great. It’s still the issue with idling and electricity. Idle is going rough with heater for rear window off. But I have decided that I have to live with that. Idle is great and is working so far

Sometimes not always. Tachometer bounces up and down sometimes. Not always.
What you're saying is that now, after the minor blip where you misreported the findings on the TPS check i first requested, it's running ok?

If you go through the thread, you'll see i followed a path to arrive at the TPS (it was the last thing to try because you had other things such as excessive richness etc, all of which could have produced false answers until sorted) - had the symptoms been different to start with i may have taken a different route and got there quicker but with what was first presented, it was still in the diagnostic steps i had in mind to find the fault.

We seem to have got there in the end, i suspect now you've cleaned the AICV and sorted the idle, the other problem may well sort itself out after a week or two regular use.

See how things go, if things do improve after a week or two, pull fuse #1 again for about 30 seconds and refit, hopefully by then the AICV should have had enough exercise that it functions as it should from then on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 20:38   #185
Ammorack

Quote:
What you're saying is that now, after the minor blip where you misreported the findings on the TPS check i first requested, it's running ok?

If you go through the thread, you'll see i followed a path to arrive at the TPS (it was the last thing to try because you had other things such as excessive richness etc, all of which could have produced false answers until sorted) - had the symptoms been different to start with i may have taken a different route and got there quicker but with what was first presented, it was still in the diagnostic steps i had in mind to find the fault.

We seem to have got there in the end, i suspect now you've cleaned the AICV and sorted the idle, the other problem may well sort itself out after a week or two regular use.

See how things go, if things do improve after a week or two, pull fuse #1 again for about 30 seconds and refit, hopefully by then the AICV should have had enough exercise that it functions as it should from then on.
That’s what I thought. Idle is back to bad again. I’ll adjust the throttle so it’s idling 900-1000rpm. This idle is bad
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 21:14   #186
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That’s what I thought. Idle is back to bad again. I’ll adjust the throttle so it’s idling 900-1000rpm. This idle is bad
DO NOT ADJUST THE THROTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What plugs have you got and what is the gap on them?

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 21:19   #187
Ammorack

Quote:
DO NOT ADJUST THE THROTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What plugs have you got and what is the gap on them?
I’ve got some ****ty quality plugs. Just kidding. I have brp6es and the gap, I don’t know
Can’t I just adjust idle to 1000rpm? I had the throttle adjusted to 1000rpm before I changed it to 650-750 to test how it was like. It seemed the car liked it. This car is a mystery. I will not adjust throttle if you say so
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 21:59   #188
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I’ve got some ****ty quality plugs. Just kidding. I have brp6es and the gap, I don’t know
Can’t I just adjust idle to 1000rpm? I had the throttle adjusted to 1000rpm before I changed it to 650-750 to test how it was like. It seemed the car liked it. This car is a mystery. I will not adjust throttle if you say so
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT ADJUST THE IDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many more times must i say it??????????????????

Clean out the AICV, PCV flame trap and the little stub on the inlet manifold where the small bore hose from the flame trap connects with carb cleaner.

Have you been trying to adjust the throttle in the past to get it to idle?

*** EDIT *** Forgot to say, if you fitted the BPR6ES straight from the box, the gap is 0.9mm as they left the factory.

This is too wide and represents 30000 miles of driving! If you haven't got feeler gauges, a thumb nail is usually about 0.6-0.7mm so you can use that to set the gap as a get you going thing.
Also check all your plug leads are connecting properly with the plug and pushed fully home, no plugs loose in the head and anything else that isn't right.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 6th, 2020 at 22:04. Reason: As reason stated!
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 22:20   #189
Ammorack

Quote:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT ADJUST THE IDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many more times must i say it??????????????????

Clean out the AICV, PCV flame trap and the little stub on the inlet manifold where the small bore hose from the flame trap connects with carb cleaner.

Have you been trying to adjust the throttle in the past to get it to idle?

*** EDIT *** Forgot to say, if you fitted the BPR6ES straight from the box, the gap is 0.9mm as they left the factory.

This is too wide and represents 30000 miles of driving! If you haven't got feeler gauges, a thumb nail is usually about 0.6-0.7mm so you can use that to set the gap as a get you going thing.
Also check all your plug leads are connecting properly with the plug and pushed fully home, no plugs loose in the head and anything else that isn't right.

Aha so it’s too wide of a gap 👍🏻😉 I will bend the gap to 0,6mm 👍🏻
I’ll clean everything that connects to the inletmanifold

Leads are as they should be. Blue silicone leads that’s supposed to be more conductive it’s something like that.
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 22:25   #190
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Aha so it’s too wide of a gap 👍🏻😉 I will bend the gap to 0,6mm 👍🏻
I’ll clean everything that connects to the inletmanifold

Leads are as they should be. Blue silicone leads that’s supposed to be more conductive it’s something like that.
The wide gap won't necessarily be the cause of the problem but won't help. Have you done a compression chck on it?

Tags
electricity, issues