Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026609

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 16:26   #581
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That "O" ring looks like it sealed on luck rather than judgement Alan!

Suspect you're right about the PO butchering the 'stat etc, would be a logical cause and effect.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 16:45   #582
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That "O" ring looks like it sealed on luck rather than judgement Alan!

Suspect you're right about the PO butchering the 'stat etc, would be a logical cause and effect.
I agree Dave. I'm really pleased I noticed it this morn - whilst it was just a small drip (and it would seem intermittent at that). It does look to me that the O ring was never seated properly and could have failed catastrophically (as Clifford's did) at any time. I'm pleased to discover faults on my drive at home rather than at 70 MPH on the highway!

The story of the thermostat makes sense as well. Maybe the system was intermittently losing a little coolant every now and then (it took about a pint this morn). The PO already thought it was overheating (as we now know, due to the voltage regulator for the instruments) and losing a little coolant probably confirmed his thesis. So, then he removed the thermostat in order to correct (bodge) what he thought was the problem - but in doing so caused a host of other issues that must have made the Royal Barge difficult to live with.

That all seems plausible, and hopefully I will finally get to the bottom of the thermal management issues this week, fortunately before a calamity!

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 6th, 2020 at 17:34. Reason: Spelling.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 12:38   #583
Othen
Premier Member

Default Well, that will be the problem then...

I wasn't doing much this morn, and it is a nice day, so I put the Royal Barge up on some ramps and started dismantling. When I got to the water pump the problem became obvious:

The O ring that sits at the top of the pump had obviously been out previously, fixed with instant gasket (as you may see from the stuff surrounding it) and re-fitted with all those splits and tears.

The rest of the pump looks fine, even the gasket came off in one piece. I do so wonder why someone bothered bodging it for the sake of a £5 seal (or even a £30 pump).

The good news is everything else looks fine:

It wont take a moment to clean up the sealing surfaces. The cam belt looks pretty new as well, I'm happy to believe it is only 7,000 miles old.

The new pump probably won't be here until tomorrow, but it shouldn't take long to get everything back together and running like a top when it arrives.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 7th, 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Grammar.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 15:18   #584
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Very lucky you found that in the driveway Alan and not the motorway!

Easy to see why it was leaking now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 15:37   #585
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Very lucky you found that in the driveway Alan and not the motorway!

Easy to see why it was leaking now!
Exactly Dave, I think I noticed it just in time. I started the Royal Barge to put it on the ramps, and by the time I'd done that it was clearly leaking more than it has been yesterday. It had not lost any coolant overnight so the leak was probably prompted by heat/pressure/vibration (or all three). I doubt it would have lasted one more journey, and could have failed at 70 MPH (yes, the RB does go that fast!).

The old pump looks fine otherwise, so I toyed with the idea of getting a gasket set for it and keeping it as a spare, but I can't find the right set listed in the UK (lots for the past '84 cars with 5 bolts/studs, but none for the earlier cars with 6). I found a parts supplier in the Netherlands with the kit for about €6, but it is not wort paying another €15 shipping when the new pump complete is only £30. I'll throw the old pump in some acid to soak and give it a good clean up, then put it in the parts box just in case.

The new pump should be here tomorrow (although I've noticed the Post Office is a bit slow just lately - Coronavirus I suppose) - it really shouldn't take long to get it fitted.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 7th, 2020 at 15:38. Reason: Grammar.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 16:01   #586
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Exactly Dave, I think I noticed it just in time. I started the Royal Barge to put it on the ramps, and by the time I'd done that it was clearly leaking more than it has been yesterday. It had not lost any coolant overnight so the leak was probably prompted by heat/pressure/vibration (or all three). I doubt it would have lasted one more journey, and could have failed at 70 MPH (yes, the RB does go that fast!).

The old pump looks fine otherwise, so I toyed with the idea of getting a gasket set for it and keeping it as a spare, but I can't find the right set listed in the UK (lots for the past '84 cars with 5 bolts/studs, but none for the earlier cars with 6). I found a parts supplier in the Netherlands with the kit for about €6, but it is not wort paying another €15 shipping when the new pump complete is only £30. I'll throw the old pump in some acid to soak and give it a good clean up, then put it in the parts box just in case.

The new pump should be here tomorrow (although I've noticed the Post Office is a bit slow just lately - Coronavirus I suppose) - it really shouldn't take long to get it fitted.

Alan
I've had a lot of stuff delivered quicker than normal Alan, people don't seem to be sending as much mail as before the CV-19 outbreak. Regional variations perhaps.

Maybe if there were other bits you needed from the Netherlands it would make sense, i've been looking at front wheel bearings for mine from the USA and also a pair of front shocks for my other beast from the same source.
S&H for the whole lot is about £36 but if the UK suppliers get some shocks in, i can buy a pair just for the S&H cost. The front hubs/bearings for the Volvo still work out at a good price including S&H so it's a toss up between the USA and Germany at the moment........

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 16:43   #587
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

However good the cambelt looks. They are cheap from a Volvo dealer. And then you have a base line as to cambelt age and mileage.

That car continuously produces issues. It seriously needs all the base lines it can get.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 7th, 2020 at 17:13.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 17:17   #588
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
However good the cambelt looks. They are cheap from a Volvo dealer. And then you have a base line as to cambelt age and mileage.

That car continuously produces issues. It seriously needs all the base lines it can get.

Good luck.

He's got a good point Alan - you also don't know if it was corectly retensioned at 600 miles after fitment.

Given the cost as Stephen says, i think it would be a wise move. I had thought of suggesting it myself but was still thinking over the pros and cons.

Purely for your own peace of mind and the sake of a few quid for either a Gates, Dayco or Volvo belt, i'd suggest changing it and then after 600 miles retensioning as per the HBoF.

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 19:09   #589
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I've had a lot of stuff delivered quicker than normal Alan, people don't seem to be sending as much mail as before the CV-19 outbreak. Regional variations perhaps.

Maybe if there were other bits you needed from the Netherlands it would make sense, i've been looking at front wheel bearings for mine from the USA and also a pair of front shocks for my other beast from the same source.
S&H for the whole lot is about £36 but if the UK suppliers get some shocks in, i can buy a pair just for the S&H cost. The front hubs/bearings for the Volvo still work out at a good price including S&H so it's a toss up between the USA and Germany at the moment........
I’m waiting for some bike bits as well, maybe it is just our postie?

The old pump came up pretty well after a 20 minute soak - all the limescale is gone.

The old pump won’t eat anything, so I’ll hang on to it and keep and eye open for the right gasket set from a UK supplier at a sensible price. I’m comfortable with buying stuff from overseas and have dollar and euro accounts to make it easier. There is not much point paying three times the value of the goods in shipping though.

With a bit of good fortune the bike and car bits will both be here tomorrow.

Alan
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 19:25   #590
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

Good luck.

I thought about swapping the cam belt when I took the cover off this morn, I came to the opposite conclusion though: that the belt looked new and so I could trust the history the PO gave me that says it was changed only 7,000 miles ago. The one fitted is a Volvo one with the timing marks, I’m confident enough it is fine.

I did seriously think about going to get a belt this morn, but then realised I’d need a special tool to get the crank bolt undone, which I don’t have and would have to procure, so I wouldn’t have got it finished before the pump was ready to go on anyway.

If I change my mind I know it only takes half an hour or so to get as far as taking the crank bolt off (I have not researched that bit yet, but it is usually a bit problematic on an auto). I’ll read up on that bit in the next few days.

Many thanks,

Alan