Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

diesel engine conversion...minilites... spots...

Views : 6107

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2014, 13:59   #31
heckflosse
Premier Member

It all sounds very very griefy for an improvement in MPG.

Old diesel = clattery and slow. But simple too, think third world taxi. Nice.

New diesel = Multivalve ,FWD, ECUs , emission junk,turbo and intercooler, goes like stink until it goes wrong. Fly by wire too. Fun cambelt changes are an added bonus!

Secondhand diesel engine = potential timebomb.

I feel Diesels are on the wane. The fuel is overtaxed, the complexity is getting worse, and the MPG benefit is outweighed by the increased servicing costs.
B18a runs on cheap oil.
D5 is about £100 for a sump full of fully synthetic.

Bigger petrol engine running LPG would be a more realistic option, and more in character with the rest of the car.
But please prove me wrong, it is your car after all!
good luck, James,.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 14:16   #32
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
It all sounds very very griefy for an improvement in MPG.

Old diesel = clattery and slow. But simple too, think third world taxi. Nice.

New diesel = Multivalve ,FWD, ECUs , emission junk,turbo and intercooler, goes like stink until it goes wrong. Fly by wire too. Fun cambelt changes are an added bonus!

Secondhand diesel engine = potential timebomb.

I feel Diesels are on the wane. The fuel is overtaxed, the complexity is getting worse, and the MPG benefit is outweighed by the increased servicing costs.
B18a runs on cheap oil.
D5 is about £100 for a sump full of fully synthetic.

Bigger petrol engine running LPG would be a more realistic option, and more in character with the rest of the car.
But please prove me wrong, it is your car after all!
good luck, James,.
Diesels are very popular up here because a lot of people commute into work I suppose and they seem to hold their prices better, but give me a petrol car any day.

How about a B230ft? I'm going to take over a B230ft project so should be fun.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 20:59   #33
skipi

Hello.

Let´s wake up this topic...

I´m a new member and registered here just because I´m planning to put a VAG 1.9 TDI to my Amazon and noticed that here has been some talk about it.

The best way to do this kind of swap (according to my studies) would be a VAG 1.9 tdi 1Z engine, Acme adaptor set, Toyota transmission (22r style), and clutch. This engine has reasonable output and consumes about 6l/100km.
The power output can be seariously increased with a new turbo (Garret gt15/20 hybrid for example), bigger nozzles and programming of the ECU...
1Z engines immobilization is the easiest to block, 90hp goes easily to our (finnish) limits about engine swapping and Toyota transmission can handle the tdi power which M40 cannot (I´m pretty sure). Even volvos M45 and M47 will give up if the torque is increased. To my knowledge there has not been one single turbo volvo, gasoline or diesel, with M45 or M47. Only M46 is strong enough to handle some increased torque.

Only a few Amazon TD/TDI conversions have been made that I´m aware of. So that´s why I´m reaching my horizon to find people who possibly have made something like this.

So, any comments, thouhts or even gossip about the topic would be much appreciated.

Thank you, all the way from finland
Skipi
skipi is offline   Reply With Quote