Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Support Beam

Views : 1010

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 13:01   #11
AidXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts72 View Post
Take the chain with you or measure the link gap, and get what you can to fit.
Did that. The chain link gaps are 14 to 15mm. So I'll aim for M12s.
AidXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 18:26   #12
AidXC90

A little adendum to this story, I re-read the Haynes manual and saw that they used two support beams straight across the engine bay to reach both lifting eyes, instead of one going at an angle across the engine bay.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 12:12   #13
AidXC90

Default Steering Rack Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you only need to lower the rear of the subframe about 6 inches after half removing the front bolts to allow it to tilt down at the back .
I've dismantled the front suspension to replace wishbone bushes, discs, hub bearings etc. and now comes the big job. I want to lower the subframe as decribed by Clan so that I can remove the steering rack. I've decided to do this before replacing all the new parts because it'll give me more room to work with less stuff in the way. I'll be supporting the engine and transmission via the support beam as discussed, but I'd appreciate more info on lowering the subframe.
1) I presume I need to disconnect all the lower engine mounts so that the subframe is no longer attached to the engine. Is that correct?
2) Once that is done, I'll loosen/ remove the subframe's rear mounting bolts and half remove the front bolts to allow the subframe to be lowered. Is that correct?
3) Thereafter it's just the removal of the steering rack from the subframe? My car is the 185hp D5. Any other things that I should be aware of before or during the work?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 21:36   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidXC90 View Post
I've dismantled the front suspension to replace wishbone bushes, discs, hub bearings etc. and now comes the big job. I want to lower the subframe as decribed by Clan so that I can remove the steering rack. I've decided to do this before replacing all the new parts because it'll give me more room to work with less stuff in the way. I'll be supporting the engine and transmission via the support beam as discussed, but I'd appreciate more info on lowering the subframe.
1) I presume I need to disconnect all the lower engine mounts so that the subframe is no longer attached to the engine. Is that correct?
2) Once that is done, I'll loosen/ remove the subframe's rear mounting bolts and half remove the front bolts to allow the subframe to be lowered. Is that correct?
3) Thereafter it's just the removal of the steering rack from the subframe? My car is the 185hp D5. Any other things that I should be aware of before or during the work?

Thanks in advance.
you are correct in all 3 .. disconnect the steering column from the rack before you start , easier from inside the car after removing the big rubber boot , and make sure the steering lock is on in the straight ahead position ..the steering wheel needs to be held in the correct position for the steering angle sensor . You will need all new bolts from volvo for the wishbones , struts , steering rack nuts , 4 subframe bolts and make sure you torque them correctly and angle torque further where necessary . Just about all are "use once only" stretch bolts ...
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 23:22   #15
AidXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you are correct in all 3 .. disconnect the steering column from the rack before you start , easier from inside the car after removing the big rubber boot , and make sure the steering lock is on in the straight ahead position ..the steering wheel needs to be held in the correct position for the steering angle sensor . You will need all new bolts from volvo for the wishbones , struts , steering rack nuts , 4 subframe bolts and make sure you torque them correctly and angle torque further where necessary . Just about all are "use once only" stretch bolts ...
Thank you for the confirmation and advice, Clan. I appreciate your and others help a lot as I'm new to this home mechanic thing and have done very little in the way of this stuff before. I guess an almost total front-end rebuild on an XC90 is a good way to start... can't get much more difficult that this.
That's a lot of new bolts! At about £8 a bolt for subframe bolts alone it's a costly game.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 10:40   #16
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Ill say this mate.... Ive done a fair bit on cars... but what your doing.... Id think twice about !

Kudos to you. Much respect.

Come back and tell us whats what... try and take some pictures and upload along the way ?

Colin

Last edited by colinbos; Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:47.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 11:34   #17
AidXC90

Thanks Colinbos,
I'll do my best to take pictures, but my phone's camera lense is smashed so it takes very poor pictres, and I'm not sure how safe it is to wield a tablet around in confined greasy spaces under a car, both for the tablet and for me when my wife finds out what I'm doing with her tablet