Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V8 or d5

Views : 1260

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2016, 21:59   #1
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Default V8 or d5

What would the best be in terms of reliability, I imagine tax and fuel costs would be the same if I got the v8 LPG'd any advice pointers I'm a bit stuck on what to go for I don't mind either. S80 phase 3 I'm talking here btw.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 23:23   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Have to fair the older D5's are a fairly reliable engine. The V8 is a little less know but for me the choice is a no brainer and was always pick the V8.

I would say electronics are always more of a worry than engines these days
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 23:34   #3
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

V8 is £500 per year rfl, D5 is £285, I've never seen a Volvo V8 on gas to hear about how they run on it, not like BMW V8's where there are plenty of examples about.

Really they are too different to compare. Reliability wise there wouldn't be much in it but you'll neve get the V8 to be as good as a D5 on fuel even on gas because it's not an equivalent quality of fuel.

That said if I didn't need the estate body and I was only putting 10k or so a year on the car I'd have a V8. Alas I out about 30k a year on mine and it's set to get higher still!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:01   #4
Veefor
VOC Member

Kieran.
I see since that post a few days ago on the S80 V8 you've become a little bit obsessed,unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you.
I've trawled through YouTube looking and more importantly listening to the glorious growl of that 4.4 V8, gives me goose bumps.
The mpg is obviously pretty bad so I have also decided on LPGing the S80 when I've got the dollars to buy one.
The spec level looks amazing too,I'm after a silver with dynaudio and cooled seats.
I though the 850R was a wolf in sheeps clothing but these are something else.
Discrete luxury with a massive kick up the Arse to those annoying 330d Bee em drivers.
I'm not going to be able to afford one any time soon and you can only have so many cars but I'm definitely getting me self one of those bad boys.
I do think that cars are a bit of an addiction though,here's an example.
At a bbq last year and a friend of mine introduced me to her new boyfriend as he is a massive petrol head like me.He arrived in his runaround,a £60,000 classic Mercedes from the sixties,pretty pale blue little rag top.So I prised it out of him what he had in his stable.
Audi R8
Mercedes SLR
FERRARI 458 Italia!
Now the guy was not a big head or arrogant one bit,just loved his cars and had the money to buy them(council estate lad,self made-good luck to him).
Now I'm not a jealous person in any way when it comes to other people's wealth or property,who cares,somebody said to me once "don't worry about what other people have got,just worry about what you got" and I agree.Anyway back to my point.
I asked him what his favourite car was,it was obvious to me that it was the 458 and I was right,but what shocked me was it wasn't good enough.He said he was after a McLaren.
So my point is where do we stop,I doubt I'm ever going to be in his position but we have likenesses.Im over the moon with the 850R, but now I want an S80 V8.
Is there a Volvo Anonymous club like the Alcoholics Anonymous, if there isn't there should be,I think we could fill a village hall just from this site!
Kieran I will be very interested to see how you get on with your hunt and keep me posted please mate if and when you get one.
Veefor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veefor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:42   #5
kieran40
I've Been Banned

I will veefor I really like the s80 in v8 clothing but I'm also urging on the side of caution and caught between the diesel aswell, its a hard one that's for sure. The diesel would be more sensible that's for sure but that v8 would Defoe put a smile on you're face. Don't knock the beemers they are good cars and that x drive is some car .
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 10:01   #6
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
I will veefor I really like the s80 in v8 clothing but I'm also urging on the side of caution and caught between the diesel aswell, its a hard one that's for sure. The diesel would be more sensible that's for sure but that v8 would Defoe put a smile on you're face. Don't knock the beemers they are good cars and that x drive is some car .
Money no object V8 but the D5 is also a stonking car with a characterful soundftrack once extended. Like a poor mans V10.

I like 5pots but the alure of the V8 and all the standard spec must be hard to resist. Plus the V8 is very rare and is such the more interesting car.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:54   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The smile factor alone - along with the look of utter surprise at the response - makes the V8 a no brainer.
With oil prices as they are, and likely to stay in the area for about a year, LPGing one becomes less economic overall. And you still get hit with the £500 tax - sorry - Road Fund Licence...!

And as someone said to me.... You only live once..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:54   #8
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Ive driven the following
Audi S4, v8, 4.2 litre, smaller car than a volvo, so quick that everyone buys an automatic as they cant change gear fast wnough in the manual. Bloody faaaast, super smooth, but no fun at all.
Big fast merc - even duller
4 litre jag convertible (hood up) - not so well built, lovely exhaust note, not loud just great, now that was a hoot.
Where does a volvo fit into this scale ?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 13:23   #9
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
Ive driven the following
Audi S4, v8, 4.2 litre, smaller car than a volvo, so quick that everyone buys an automatic as they cant change gear fast wnough in the manual. Bloody faaaast, super smooth, but no fun at all.
Big fast merc - even duller
4 litre jag convertible (hood up) - not so well built, lovely exhaust note, not loud just great, now that was a hoot.
Where does a volvo fit into this scale ?
I've driven several big fast Mercs from S500, E500, CLS55 and all were epic. Even the 3litre diesel was good fun with poised handling and great steering.

The Volvo would be a bit more intert than the Mercedes but I reckon a pleasant steer.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 20:00   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

The 4.4 L V8 Volvo engine (Volvo B8444S) is built by Yamaha in Japan under Volvo design and specifications.

Assembled in Japan, specced by Volvo... doesn't get better than that!!
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post: