Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front day running lights conundrum

Views : 996

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 09:35   #11
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I agree that would explain it if they are wired in series and the holder itself is not earthed. But they are not meant to be wired like that. Each bulb and each filament is earthed at one end, and a positive supply is switched to whichever bulb or filament is required.

"one probe on the 5W supply contact and the other on the wall of the socket shows a negative earth." I don't follow that. That simply shows a voltage between the two and the polarity. It doesn't prove that the wall of the socket is properly earthed. What you seem to have is a floating "earth" which is being polarised from one of the other lights.
It is odd. I can see a reason to wire two bulbs in series to dim one of them. A 21w bulb in series with a 5w bulb will dim the 5w bulb slightly, the 21w acts as a dropper resistor. I'm not saying Volvo do this, just working on basic principles.

A floating earth looks like a good solution, in the second diagram the tip of bulb B will be connected to the corresponding bulb on the other side of the car, providing a path to earth.

A floating earth and having the meter -ve terminal in the wrong place looks like the best answer.

Scan132.jpg
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 22:17   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Yes the connected in series theory works, except, that would mean wrongly wired so that both filaments lit up together. I don't think that is what David is saying.

Do we know the age and model of this 240?

Was it designed for the lamp units it has or have they been changed?

Has the wiring been altered or added to at any time?

Do the filaments shine at their usual anticipated brightness?

Stephen
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 07:23   #13
rtbcomp

As said by Clifford Pope and my last post, it's more likely a floating earth causing the filaments to end up in series.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 21:28   #14
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I had not seen your broken or bad connection note on that diagram. Yes a definite possibility. And current would go via the other side of the car.

By the way, is the "reverse polarity" issue evident if one checks the other side of the car?

Unless checking for that broken or bad connection gives a quick fix, it still comes down to checking the basic facts. (And of course cleaning up ALL the connections.)

For example, model and year of the 240, whether any wiring has been altered or any lamp units changed, whether the symptoms include any non standard brightness of filament bulbs, can both filaments of the same bulb be seen shining at the same time....

Stephen
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 21:41   #15
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

By the way, is the "reverse polarity" issue evident if one checks the other side of the car?

Stephen
It shouldn't be if the earth on that side is intact, if it's broken too there will be no path to earth*** for the light on the first side.

***Assuming there aren't other lights such as the tail lights, which also illuminate with the DLRs I believe. It's probably quicker just to check and clean the earths as you suggest than to theorise too much, and the chances are you'll be cleaning them anyway!
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 22:01   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

And I forgot to mention the old simple "Christmas Tree" test for the condition rtb describes. Remember the rear light displays when a 1950s 1960s car had flashing indicators and suffered a rusty rear light earth. All lit up like a Christmas Tree when braking and indicating at the same time. One nstill sees it occasionally afflicting trailer electrics. The suspected diagnosis here is the same but at the front of the car so mutatis mutandis.

So. On this 240. With all the bulbs in place, and the DLR need to be on which they will be if you are using the indicators. *And try this both with and without the sidelights on. Switch on each indicator in turn and observe the 21w DLR filaments. Do those filaments pulse/flash in time with the indicator? That would confirm rtb's diagnosis for you very quickly.

*With and without the sidelights because I can't be bovvered to work out the significance if any of the sidelights being switched on.

I remember in my early years an uncle nearly had his car completely re-wired EEK and all for one rusty earth connection causing the Christmas Tree effect. As a lad I visited him before his mate started the work. I cleaned up all the connections of the rear lamps including the earths to body. I fixed it basically by luck and dogged determination, thinking "it MUST be at least one of the connections....".

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jan 23rd, 2018 at 22:31. Reason: Same but at the front.