Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Difficulty getting E5 Petrol

Views : 941

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 17:04   #1
Volvo3000

Default Difficulty getting E5 Petrol

I am finding it extremely difficult to find E5 petrol in the Northwest area. Shell seems to never have it now and anywhere else like Esso or Tesco sells out very quickly so occasionally have it. Is it safe to use the E10 in a Volvo 940 or 740? I don't know despite the government website saying it's ok. We also have another car that in the handbook says to only use E10 very occasionally so it's causing problems. I also know a few people with more modern cars saying that their car doesn't run right on E10.

The people working at the fuel stations all give different excuses why there isn't any. Some think there's something dodgy going on and that they're trying to phase it out.
Volvo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo3000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 17:36   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Had the very same issue in Wigan last week:~
Two stations, one being Asda (garage) the other I think was Esso.
Ended up at Sainsbury's just outside of the town.

Normally use Tesco but too far this time as the low petrol light had been on.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 18:10   #3
Moomoo
VOC Member

I believe all post 1976 Volvos, with the exception of an S/V40 1.8l are fine on E10.
My ‘91, 240 , is fine on it!
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 01:14   #4
Volvo3000

On the government website it says our Mercedes can run on E10, but in the handboook it says to use it only occasionally.

It also says on the government website:

The information is subject to change and we cannot guarantee its accuracy. If your vehicle is fitted with replacement parts this will also affect its accuracy.

DfT and its partners will not be liable for any damage to your vehicle as a result of you using this service.
Volvo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 06:48   #5
CosmicBike

It is, in response to your original question, safe to use E10. Whether it is any good for your injectors, fuel hoses etc etc is a longer term issue, though there is some evidence that E10 increases moisture content in the system which may well have a detrimental effect.
Personally I run my 240 on E10 with no issues as a daily driver, the V70R gets Esso Supreme 99+ which suits it better than Shell stuff, likewise the Capri for the rare moments it gets started.
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 10:01   #6
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I believe all post 1976 Volvos, with the exception of an S/V40 1.8l are fine on E10.
My ‘91, 240 , is fine on it!
Being more specific are you referring to the gdi unit as there are three different 1.8 engines in the s40 range?

If so is that not more an issue of the direct injection not passing fuel past the valve leading to increased unburnt deposits on the valve seats as opposed to any ethanol content?
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 10:11   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Being more specific are you referring to the gdi unit as there are three different 1.8 engines in the s40 range?

If so is that not more an issue of the direct injection not passing fuel past the valve leading to increased unburnt deposits on the valve seats as opposed to any ethanol content?
I cannot help you further.

I just remember that one of the, post 1976, 1.8 engined was not suitable for E10 petrol.

A one minute Google tells , it’s the 1.8 direct injection engine is not suitable for E10!
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 10:26   #8
rowdy

I don’t need help thanks (well, not that sort!)
Just thought I’d mention it as might be helpful to someone, I’ve had two 1.8 s/v40’s, one being a Volvo the other Renault engine (so not the gdi) but have a v50 diesel so it doesn’t affect me personally.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rowdy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:03   #9
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

We seem to have a number of garages selling E5 in this immediate area.
Waterlooville has Sainsbury's ( which looks to be the cheapest ), An Asda unmanned set of pumps, and a Shell garage. Havant has Tescos, And Leigh Park gas the Point Seven Esso.

If I get the chance, I'll cruiise around them to find the current prices of E5 and E10.

If the price difference id too great, I might try E7.5 - half and half, to keep the price down.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote