Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Focus MK2 RS Turbo

Views : 4400

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:32   #1
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default T5 Focus MK2 RS Turbo

Hey guys so I thought I would start a thread on this so its here and this is the direction im going so hopefully this year this can be a possibility.

So far for supporting mods I think there is quite a list to get the most out of the turbo but for now the standard (and feel free to correct me) are below:

- Focus RS injectors
- Block Mod

and then the Turbo.

So I was just wondering if there is anything else I need to look out for, my clutch will be uprated to a focus RS clutch so that should be fine as well.

As for mapping wise I have absolutly no idea ... can we just pop them on and run them with the current remap or does the car need a whole custom map (Im guessing so but have no idea where to look for this)

Are there any other things that could do with upgrading while the turbo is done as well? I have no idea as I am no mechanic.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 10:05   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Hey guys so I thought I would start a thread on this so its here and this is the direction im going so hopefully this year this can be a possibility.

So far for supporting mods I think there is quite a list to get the most out of the turbo but for now the standard (and feel free to correct me) are below:

- Focus RS injectors
- Block Mod

and then the Turbo.

So I was just wondering if there is anything else I need to look out for, my clutch will be uprated to a focus RS clutch so that should be fine as well.

As for mapping wise I have absolutly no idea ... can we just pop them on and run them with the current remap or does the car need a whole custom map (Im guessing so but have no idea where to look for this)

Are there any other things that could do with upgrading while the turbo is done as well? I have no idea as I am no mechanic.
Jelaous of this, its gonna be a rocket when finished
Cant really provide much input, except referring you to SS forum where I remember reading whole threads ref RS upgrade and dude pulling out 380HP from his T5+K16. That may give you some helpful tips maybe? US guys have their own way of modding , from what I noticed, but still.
Good luck with the project!

edit - ref custom map, I am aware of atleast one tuner that has Stage3 map specifically designed for turbo upgrade. I can imagine Shark or others may have similar...

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:09.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:28   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

thanks yeh I hope to get there soon as I have some races lined up and cant really do anything more to improve the 1/4 mile unless I start removing seats.

But thanks for the link, was the hilton tune easy to get?

yeh I heard that rough figure from the american guys, have also been keeping an eye on the pumaspeed site as they hybrid those turbos to give you even more of a kick but I think one step at a time as im going to reliability.

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:00   #4
FunkyMelon
Master Member

You're probably going to need a whole lot more than you imagine....

A guy I know did this quite recently on his C30 but he used an RS Borg Warner K16 with the oil/water lines for that.

Along with that he needed the following...

Full exhaust
Intercooler + pipework etc
Intake upgrade
550cc injectors
Engine rebuild - Rods and pistons (forged) + block mod
S60R clutch
Custom map
+ a huge amount in labour for the engine rebuild + plumbing in the new turbo

Then you need to look at stopping the thing and the handling etc...

It came to a scary amount of money, it's making between 350-400bhp now.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:27   #5
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post

But thanks for the link, was the hilton tune easy to get?

Yep, no problems at all, you order it, recieve link to download soft and read the datalog from car via Dice, send it back to them and they send you back the custom file. Thats for S1 so pretty much no hassle, I would imagine S3 would require much more fine tuning so probably more times of read-send-recieve-test-repeat but you get the idea.
The required spec for each stage listed there could be a good indication aswell whats needed to be done before going big turbo.
Im guessing your car is not a daily driver or wont be anymore after that?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:34   #6
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Yep, no problems at all, you order it, recieve link to download soft and read the datalog from car via Dice, send it back to them and they send you back the custom file. Thats for S1 so pretty much no hassle, I would imagine S3 would require much more fine tuning so probably more times of read-send-recieve-test-repeat but you get the idea.
The required spec for each stage listed there could be a good indication aswell whats needed to be done before going big turbo.
They'd probably need the car for about a week to be honest.

The guy I know had his tuned at a very well known mapper and they struggled to get it right, it was pinging back and forth quite a lot even after they had 'finished' to fine tune it.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:43   #7
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
They'd probably need the car for about a week to be honest.

The guy I know had his tuned at a very well known mapper and they struggled to get it right, it was pinging back and forth quite a lot even after they had 'finished' to fine tune it.
Actually you may be right, I am not sure if S3 can be done remotely or not, didnt think of that. One would need to inquiry with Robert Hilton, but from general info on this tuner and his jobs I think that most of tunes are done remotely.
Its probably best to ask the source anyway or go to "local" tuner that is around you.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 14:25   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Yeh im not sure about that one, I am looking for a custom remap and rolling road so its all done on the day and dusted. But no the car wouldnt be my daily anymore, still use it day to day but not as much .... doesnt seem to like sitting around that much so have to drive it atleast once a week.

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 14:29   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
You're probably going to need a whole lot more than you imagine....

A guy I know did this quite recently on his C30 but he used an RS Borg Warner K16 with the oil/water lines for that.

Along with that he needed the following...

Full exhaust
Intercooler + pipework etc
Intake upgrade
550cc injectors
Engine rebuild - Rods and pistons (forged) + block mod
S60R clutch
Custom map
+ a huge amount in labour for the engine rebuild + plumbing in the new turbo

Then you need to look at stopping the thing and the handling etc...

It came to a scary amount of money, it's making between 350-400bhp now.
Yeh I have already done a few things there including the bell intercooler which is bigger than the d088 upgrade one.

The block mod is on mail order, tempted to get it this week as car needs a service soon so might get that done all ready for the summer.

Clutch its a defenite tick on the list, but the Focus MK2 RS clutch not the S60 as that requires further work.

Forgot about he intake so I gets the intake is the only addition to the list then, not sure I need to get forged rods and pistons.

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 16:19   #10
domhart10
Volvo S40

Looking up injectors im guessing these are the ones I would need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focu...AAAOSwowNZ3y5x