Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Focus MK2 RS Turbo

Views : 4396

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 16:32   #11
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Yeh I have already done a few things there including the bell intercooler which is bigger than the d088 upgrade one.

The block mod is on mail order, tempted to get it this week as car needs a service soon so might get that done all ready for the summer.

Clutch its a defenite tick on the list, but the Focus MK2 RS clutch not the S60 as that requires further work.

Forgot about he intake so I gets the intake is the only addition to the list then, not sure I need to get forged rods and pistons.
It depends how much power you're chasing but you may as well do them while the head is off and it's in bits, at least you know you won't be throwing a rod in the future or risk having to strip it apart again if you want more power. Regarding clutch, RS owners upgrade the standard RS clutch, so might be worth putting the best you can in while you're doing it - Again better to do it properly once than having to do it again...

What have you ordered for the block mod? The parts themselves are a few quid, it's the labour that's involved that costs the money.

If you're on near or over 100k make sure you get your valve clearances done too. You'll be surprised how far out of spec they are....

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Jan 17th, 2018 at 16:46.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 16:35   #12
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Looking up injectors im guessing these are the ones I would need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focu...AAAOSwowNZ3y5x
Yep, those are the ones - You'll need RS plugs too and you'll need to upgrade your fuel pump
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 08:28   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

oh right I heard that the current fuel pump is more than adequite for the RS turbo upgrade.

I dont really have a target power im chasing ..... just want to pop on that RS turbo which sounds pretty good.

What are my valve clearences that I need to get done?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 09:29   #14
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
oh right I heard that the current fuel pump is more than adequite for the RS turbo upgrade.

I dont really have a target power im chasing ..... just want to pop on that RS turbo which sounds pretty good.

What are my valve clearences that I need to get done?
It's the adjustment of your valves, I was recommended by Volvo to have it done while mine was in bits due to the mileage....

I had it done on my old car and they were hugely out of spec after 160k on the engine - It's a lengthy procedure as they have to be very precise but it made a huge difference when I got the car back. They say your engine loses quite a bit of power over the years, mine had a lot more life in it, felt quicker, was smoother and much quieter at idle.

Regarding fuel pump, I'd get a power figure in mind and a budget in mind and go from there, it can all get very expensive very quickly other wise lol
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 09:35   #15
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
It's the adjustment of your valves, I was recommended by Volvo to have it done while mine was in bits due to the mileage....

I had it done on my old car and they were hugely out of spec after 160k on the engine - It's a lengthy procedure as they have to be very precise but it made a huge difference when I got the car back. They say your engine loses quite a bit of power over the years, mine had a lot more life in it, felt quicker, was smoother and much quieter at idle.

Regarding fuel pump, I'd get a power figure in mind and a budget in mind and go from there, it can all get very expensive very quickly other wise lol
Yeh I can see it getting expensive, I guess the only thing im aiming for is to just get that RS turbo on and see how the car copes because im guessing i'l need a diff in there as well to help so hoping for anywhere from 350 onwards would be happy with.

After sitting with that for a bit I know I will want more so keeping the pumaspeed upgrade on that RS turbo in view but not until all other parts are upgraded while having the RS turbo for it as I know someone who has water meth as well which im guessing helps quite a bit.

With the valve adjustment thing is that not done of the timing belt change? because thats the essential the block mod so could ask them to check/do that there.

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 10:54   #16
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Yeh I can see it getting expensive, I guess the only thing im aiming for is to just get that RS turbo on and see how the car copes because im guessing i'l need a diff in there as well to help so hoping for anywhere from 350 onwards would be happy with.

After sitting with that for a bit I know I will want more so keeping the pumaspeed upgrade on that RS turbo in view but not until all other parts are upgraded while having the RS turbo for it as I know someone who has water meth as well which im guessing helps quite a bit.

With the valve adjustment thing is that not done of the timing belt change? because thats the essential the block mod so could ask them to check/do that there.
The block mod is just a shim, it's a thin sheet of metal cut down to fit between the coolant tracks between each of the cylinder liners, about £5 in parts.....

When I had my valve clearances done I had the stem seals replaced too as that was also recommended due to my mileage, the valves then need lapping in/adjusting and it takes a long time to do so.

Timing belt is just locking the cams, old belt and tensioner off, new belt and tensionor on, job done - Nothing to do with valves or clearances gets changed.

Generally when building an engine for power you replace as much as you can to keep it as reliable as possible, as it's not cheap stripping it apart again down the line and if something goes running that much power, you'll regret not taking the extra precautions.

Personally at the minimum, I'd be replacing stem seals, getting the clearances done on the valves, piston rings and fitting forged con rods and pistons would be advisable....

A Quaife LSD would be advisable - Add another £700 ish onto your build for one of those.

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:13. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:16   #17
domhart10
Volvo S40

ah right ok, maybe look at those later on then, I know someone else you has done this as well and they didnt do these forged things right away and there car is still running well.

So for the time being, I think my path would be to get the Block done along with RS injectors + the RS turbo and a custom mapping where ever I can find that from.

My car is on 112k now so will need the clutch done soon which will be a focus RS one as well.

I think, if im hunting over 400bhp and more from that RS turbo I would go down the forged route .... but will be interesting to see how well the car copes with this done.

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:33   #18
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
ah right ok, maybe look at those later on then, I know someone else you has done this as well and they didnt do these forged things right away and there car is still running well.

So for the time being, I think my path would be to get the Block done along with RS injectors + the RS turbo and a custom mapping where ever I can find that from.

My car is on 112k now so will need the clutch done soon which will be a focus RS one as well.

I think, if im hunting over 400bhp and more from that RS turbo I would go down the forged route .... but will be interesting to see how well the car copes with this done.
The ST chaps don't tend to go over 320hp without forging internals.

The Focus RS has forged pistons out the factory and a lower compression than our cars/the ST. Each to their own but I'd strongly recommend going the forged route while it's cracked apart for the shimming/other work.

The RS turbo isn't going to be a direct bolt on and off you go, it's going to be quite a bit of work and money to get it running right - Will be worth it in the end though

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:56. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 13:27   #19
Yobbo
Dave

Much food for thought here Dom,
I have to agree with Funky Melon about the direction you want to take though, there's also more than one 'block mod' to consider too.

But if you're effectively going to 'RS' your T5 you ought to consider forged internals whilst getting the block shimmed and linered.
Last thing you want is to whack on the K16 and for a cylinder to crack!

A Gripper LSD wouldn't go a miss as well, when I drove my mate's stock RS a few months ago it struggled to keep traction in the first 3 gears!

Anyway you can achieve 300-320bhp on the stock KD04 turbo and injectors with a:

- Decat downpipe
- Uprated Intercooler
- Intake
- Stage 3 Tune
- Block Mod (Stock 300bhp Volvo S60R/V70R 2.5L can crack liners!)
- Uprated clutch (optional)

An SGR tuned V50 T5 I almost got the other month was running 325BHP and 500nm on that (didn't have the block mod though!), I would at the minimum be getting the block reinforced with shims for peace of mind.

Also another clutch consideration over the RS one - S60R cover and a Tim Williams organic disc rated to 600nm+, I'm pretty sure he could supply both along with any info if you contact him.

The S60R cover is a known upgrade over the standard RS as it has a higher clamping force and many Focus RS guys use it - I can'tt fathom as to why it would require more work unless there was a flywheel incompatibility which seems unlikely.

Hope this helps even though I currently drive a diseasel!

Last edited by Yobbo; Jan 18th, 2018 at 13:31.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 14:40   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh I was initially looking at and S60R clutch but after speaking with Don / Ashok (@Elk) who was discussing it with Tim ... he mentioned there is some work that needs to be done to get it on. If I lived in the midlands than I would go S60R as I could get Tim to do it but I live in BL**DY Cornwall so if the Focus RS clutch is easier they I know a garage here would be ok to fit it.

However since doing this I have messaged Tim and talking about all the worked required. he hasnt mentioned anything about the forged route so I will ask him that but if he is doing the work then I guess S60R clutch could be back in the question.

The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post: