Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a used V60, petrol vs diesel and manual vs auto

Views : 4695

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 22:34   #21
dhr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
There was recent discussion I think on this forum re comparison of petrol and diesel emissions and particulate issues at the Euro 6 level , in that the petrol engine emits more particulates. Do some searches.
Re SatNavs - For major trips I use both Sat Navs and compare their routing, whichever route I choose the other satnav catches on very quickly.

The Sensus version has a less friendly user interface involving spinning selector dials or multiple button presses, however it does win if you use a smart phone with a calendar on it as one can send destination information via Volvo on Call app to the car - however the Volvo On Call has to be fitted to the car in the factory. With the Garmin device you can take it in the house/hotel/office and enter the various destinations in comfort.

The other issue is the quality of routing in the Sensus SatNav,, I did a couple of journeys from Lincoln and Loughborough to Petersfield. On both journeys the Volvo device wanted me to go down the M1 and round the M25 and then the A3 rather than using the A46, M1, to Warwick and then the M40 to the A34 then A272 which is a shorter route and apart from some key times is a faster route. The Garmin chose the M40 route.

The Garmin type device will sometimes lose Satellite contact in very cloudy weather, the builtin satnav is more resilient in bad weather. The Garmin does lose some signal strength if you have the metal wires heating windscreen.

However YMMV
I've the same experience with my Garmin, I'll always review the options, and if I don't agree with any pick the closest and let it catch up on the route I choose to drive on the way. Won't get much for selling my Garmin now so will be good to keep it as a backup/alternative.

Considered1, I've looked at that car several times, its a better colour and has rear tints than the D5 I've tested, and I do prefer the price (who wouldn't) but would prefer lower mileage. Will give it some thought until I've tried a D4 I think, at least I've got some experience of all my options then.

pagan8C - Good to hear, thanks, what mpg did you get when not on a run in the S60? Very envious of the V90, would dearly love a V90 Inscription Pro!

Horton - Thanks, interesting about the clutch, I found it very light compared to what I'm used to!

I think I've almost decided on a Euro VI D5 SE Lux Nax. But it depends if I can find one. But the lower tax and better mpg of the D4 appeals, if I like the way it drives.

Thanks all! Just a long week at work until I next get to drive one now...
dhr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 00:55   #22
pagan8c
Master Member

In the S60 I could get mid 40's on a motorway run from Lincoln to Manchester and back. The D5 215 engine is better around 65 mph to 70mph with the geartronic box as this equates to less than 2000 revs. I personally will only have an auto especially for towing because when I had a manual car reversing withe caravan on the back always produced the club h smell. Also in traffic etc the auto is just easy and less tiring on the legs etc. I now have the 2017 XC90 D5 with the 4 cylinder engine and I like it very much . It is of course a auto since they didn't do a manual. This tows really well too.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 18:33   #23
blacoov

I decided to dig out this old thread because I thought my query perfectly fits the topic. I am trying to gather as much knowledge as possible about differences between D5 215 manual vs D5 215 geartronic. I noticed that official figures differs a lot in terms of mpg in favour of D5 manual.

I would love to know what's real world difference as I assume geartronic D5 will be much closer to official figures than manual one.
Is there any difference in revs at 70mph in 6th gear between manual and automatic? I read contrary opinions already.

Last thing is that geartronic cost £200 to tax against only £30 to tax manual.

Pity it is almost impossible to be able to find out about all of that during limited test drives available when you are buying an used car.
blacoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 19:06   #24
bomberfr0g

I have just got rid of my v60 d5 manual, my av was 43.6mpg. this is the 215hp with start stop and 30 tax, satnav is hard to use, google maps usually easier via bluetooth for directions and magnetic mount just to side of cd slot.
Xenons with bendy lights are excellent but you will likely need to change the bulbs to get the max impact on a 2013.
My previous car was an xc60 geartronic d5 awd with the 205hp engine, best I could get fuel wise was 34.4, granted bigger and awd and 1 year older, but that went cos I couldnt live with less than 40mpg
bomberfr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 19:58   #25
blacoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfr0g View Post
I have just got rid of my v60 d5 manual, my av was 43.6mpg. this is the 215hp with start stop and 30 tax, satnav is hard to use, google maps usually easier via bluetooth for directions and magnetic mount just to side of cd slot.
Xenons with bendy lights are excellent but you will likely need to change the bulbs to get the max impact on a 2013.
My previous car was an xc60 geartronic d5 awd with the 205hp engine, best I could get fuel wise was 34.4, granted bigger and awd and 1 year older, but that went cos I couldnt live with less than 40mpg
Your avg mpg is not too bad. It depends what type of journeys you did. If its 50/50 town/motorway then its not too bad really.
I hope that v60 215 D5 auto in town ( I am talking 20% congestion and stop/start traffic and 80% just driving around dual carriageways in built up areas with odd roundabout and traffic lights) can achieve at least 37mpg. Pure motorway cruise at 75mph would result in at least 48mpg.

I am talking about 6speed geartronic. How achievable is it?
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 20:14   #26
GMcL
0's and 1's

What I've found is these cars are really sensitive to air filter condition.

I bought my MY '11 S60 D3 in 2013. Prior to that I ran an 05 MY S60 D5. The D5 regularly returned 53mpg on a long journey, 43/44mpg round the doors.

The D3 only ever gave me high 30's local driving and a max of 47mpg on a run from Germany to Scotland.

This car had only ever seen Volvo main dealers for servicing.

I swapped the air filter in Spring this year, What I took out I can only describe as never having been changed since the day the car was built. Since fitting an aftermarket washable filter I have seen high 50's/low 60's on a recent run to Scotland. The average has jumped to 47mpg.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 20:28   #27
blacoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
What I've found is these cars are really sensitive to air filter condition.

I bought my MY '11 S60 D3 in 2013. Prior to that I ran an 05 MY S60 D5. The D5 regularly returned 53mpg on a long journey, 43/44mpg round the doors.

The D3 only ever gave me high 30's local driving and a max of 47mpg on a run from Germany to Scotland.

This car had only ever seen Volvo main dealers for servicing.

I swapped the air filter in Spring this year, What I took out I can only describe as never having been changed since the day the car was built. Since fitting an aftermarket washable filter I have seen high 50's/low 60's on a recent run to Scotland. The average has jumped to 47mpg.

When I used to do over 20k miles a year I serviced my car twice a year. Interim service being just quality oil and filter with air filter inspection and the main one included all filters and oil. If regular airfilter change is the key I am fine with it. I wouldnt expect v60 d5 215 auto to achieve 60mpg but low 50s just cruising about 60-70mph is what hope for.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 20:52   #28
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacoov View Post
When I used to do over 20k miles a year I serviced my car twice a year. Interim service being just quality oil and filter with air filter inspection and the main one included all filters and oil. If regular airfilter change is the key I am fine with it. I wouldnt expect v60 d5 215 auto to achieve 60mpg but low 50s just cruising about 60-70mph is what hope for.
The D5 I had was Euro III, no DPF. I added a filter which gave me a Euro 4 badge for city driving here in Germany. It did knock 2 or 3 mpg off the average. I think anything over 40mpg from a Euro 5+ diesel with all the filters is good going for a D5.

My D3 is running a remap giving it around 190hp and 470Nm torque, the DPF is still in there doing its thing. The flexibility in 6th is very impressive going from 60mph to 120mph in 1,500rpm. Having said that, direct injection petrols are impressive too in the torque they put out.

The jury is still out on whether or not these petrol engines will show coking issues at 60,000 miles plus.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 07:52   #29
blacoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
. I think anything over 40mpg from a Euro 5+ diesel with all the filters is good going for a D5.
This is worryingly low mpg. However in Germany this is probably good result where average speeds on motorway are much higher than in the UK.

Driving in England you are often on congested strictly governed "smart" motorways doing anything between 50mph-70mph so from this type of driving I hope that expecting 50mpg is not wishful thinking. In Germany where I would be doing constantly anything in the region of 100mph unless there is a speed limit I find achieving high 30s maybe 40mpg very good result.

My last trip across continent resulted in 39mpg. We are talking about chasing eurotunnel (3people and quite a lot of luggage). in Poland/Germany pretty much constantly around 100-110mph, Netherlands/Belgium still way above national speed limit. The mpg I achieved in saloon car 2.0tdi cr 170 remapped to 200bhp/445nm *1530kg mass in service*
Hopefully in similar conditions V60 wont be far off.

Once I get my hands on V60 (currently searching for perfect model) I will post my findings regarding mpg in different driving situations. Hope people will find it interesting
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 11:03   #30
dhr90

I have since bought a D5 V60 geartronic 215 after making this thread. My long term average is 47mpg calculated from Fuelly app. Rarely go above 70mph, at that speed car calculates I get 50-55mpg, drop to 50-60 mph and 60-70mpg is possible...if slow!

I wouldn’t want this car in a manual, automatic suits it more. Nice and relaxing.