Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Springs

Views : 2952

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2010, 20:35   #1
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Default C70 Springs

Hi all.

I recently discovered my C70 T5 has Eibach lowering springs. Now, were these a Volvo upgrade or did a previous owner just buy these from an aftermarket place and get them fitted???

Next question, can I replace these for a softer standard C70 T5 spring??
The ride in my car on fast A roads and motorways is fab, but over B roads and round town its very crashy!! The car does not have the best handling because its not a Lotus Elise, so i'm not bothered about losing some sharpness. Not that there is any anyway!!
Old May 18th, 2010, 20:54   #2
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexward View Post
Hi all.

I recently discovered my C70 T5 has Eibach lowering springs. Now, were these a Volvo upgrade or did a previous owner just buy these from an aftermarket place and get them fitted???

Next question, can I replace these for a softer standard C70 T5 spring??
The ride in my car on fast A roads and motorways is fab, but over B roads and round town its very crashy!! The car does not have the best handling because its not a Lotus Elise, so i'm not bothered about losing some sharpness. Not that there is any anyway!!
Crashy ride would indicate the shocks are not well matched to the springs.

What shocks are fitted to the car?

Personally I would avoid the standard volvo springs (my dad has recently had to replace the rears as one of them had snapped - car has only done 76K miles)

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 21:50   #3
Simon J
Premier Member

Alex,

As it happens I'd been doing a bit of research into exactly this issue and the situation seems to be as follows.

Volvo offered two types of springs on the C70 Cabrio - the regular ride height, and the lowered chassis. The part number for the lowered chassis springs is 9192815 for the front (unless you have a manual transmission with no air con in which case they are 9192814) and 9451350 at the rear. I gather that the rear spring kit under this part number is no longer available but I suspect that the individual springs would be. It's one of the things I plan to check out later this week when I get round to stopping by my local dealer.

As for shock absorbers, there are actually three options for the C70 Coupe but only two for the Cabrio. Forgetting about the standard shocks which would have been fitted primarily to the standard ride height chassis, for the Cabrio there are what Volvo call Dynamic shock absorbers specified for the lowered springs. Part numbers are 9451351 for the front (no difference for manual transmission without air con) and 9451353 for the rear. The Coupe with lowered suspension had what are referred to as Sports shock absorbers but these are not listed for the Cabrio, presumably because they would be too harsh for the rather flexible chassis. And the ultimate option for the Coupe is the Ohlins adjustable kit which is eyewateringly expensive (somewhere around two grand!) and would be way too harsh for the Cabrio I suspect.

The Eibach springs are therefore almost certainly an after market replacement, probably teamed with shock absorbers more suited to a Coupe than a Cabrio (or maybe not, see my EDIT below!).

My car has the Lowered Chassis with Dynamic shock absorbers and I've come to the conclusion that this is as good a combination as you'll find for the Cabrio. Anything stiffer simply doesn't work with the flexible chassis that these cars suffer from and will give a very harsh ride.

The only remaining item I'm still investigating is the rear anti roll bar. One is listed for the lowered Coupe with Sports shocks, but not for the Cabrio with Dynamic shocks and I'm not sure whether the Coupe one is an uprated one compared to standard, and if so, why it wasn't offered as part of the Cabrio set up. But I need to check out part numbers with my dealer to see if the rear anti roll bar on my car is different to the one listed for the Coupe.

I'll post back with more info when I've checked out the few things I've mentioned above.

EDIT: I've just realised that your car is a Coupe so the part numbers for the springs are 9192814 (F) (unless it's auto with air con in which case it's 9192815); and 9451349 (R). The Sports shock absorbers are 9204141 (F) and 9204142 (R).

Last edited by Simon J; May 18th, 2010 at 21:59.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 21:56   #4
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

I think my car has standard shocks with aftermarket Eibach lowering springs. I would like to replace these Eibach springs with standard Volvo ones, but don't want to buy the springs, fit them and find out that the ride is still the same!!
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:04   #5
Simon J
Premier Member

Alex,

My suggestion would be to try and identify exactly what you've got first of all. I presume there was some way of telling that the springs were Eibach and perhaps it is therefore possible to determine exactly which ones they are. Don Norchi of Kalmar Union sells these and he may well be able to offer some advice/info on what you've got. Likewise with the shocks; it should be possible to determine what brand they are and from that determine whether they are original Volvo or after market. I have read elsewhere that the Volvo shocks are made by Sachs, but most after market ones are likely to be Koni or Bilstein I would have thought.

Once you know what you've got, then you're going to be in a better position to decide what to keep, and what to replace. If you were to opt to restore things to the Volvo Lowered Sports suspension I can confirm that this is a very acceptable package as we had it on our previous V70 T5 and did over 100K miles in it without ever thinking that it was too harsh.

And it might also be worth checking with your local Volvo dealer exactly what springs and shocks your car was built with. They can tell this from the chassis code (not VIN) which is stamped on the plate on the inside of the passenger side front wing.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:24   #6
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

The eibach springs are a very good make, perhaps only bettered by H & R.

If I were you I would be looking to replace the shocks.

If you are looking for a bit of comfort then I would recommend the Bilstein B4 shocks (circa £200 for a set of 4 from ECP) or you could get adjustable koni's for a bit more money.

The volvo sports shocks are probably made by bilstein or koni anyway - but you will pay more for them to come with a volvo sticker on them ;-)

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:02   #7
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

I actually like the way the car sits in the arches, i.e there isn't much of a gap and it looks good, so I wouldnt want to jack it up too much with new springs!
As Simon says, i'll get under the car tomorrow when I have it (wifes not using it tomorrow) and have a good look at what shocks I have.
£200 doesn't seem too bad for a set of four new shocks. Is it an easy job to fit new shocks?
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:17   #8
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexward View Post
I actually like the way the car sits in the arches, i.e there isn't much of a gap and it looks good, so I wouldnt want to jack it up too much with new springs!
As Simon says, i'll get under the car tomorrow when I have it (wifes not using it tomorrow) and have a good look at what shocks I have.
£200 doesn't seem too bad for a set of four new shocks. Is it an easy job to fit new shocks?
Rears are easy - two bolts on the top mounts, one nut on the bottom, then they pull up through the car, fronts are more involved as you will have to disassemble the struts to retrieve your springs and mounts. I personally would recommend fitting new mounts to new shocks.

Allow at least 1/2 a day to do the rears and a full day to do the fronts.

You will also need a front end wheel alignment doing when finished as you will lose your camber and possibly your toe settings as well.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO

Last edited by acshortt5; May 19th, 2010 at 10:19.
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:19   #9
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Top man. Thanks for the info Andrew and Simon.
Old May 19th, 2010, 19:11   #10
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Default Update

Jacked the car up and had a look. Right, my shock asorbers are Sachs.
Its says Volvo 9173850, SACHS 82 4903553012.

So to summerise, I have Eibach springs number EW8417001VA mated with Sachs shocks number 9173850 or 82 4903553012.

Does anyone know what set up this is?? The shocks are Volvo, but what setup? Did the Eibach springs go with these shocks from Volvo or have the springs been added at a later date??

Cheers all.