Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102231

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2017, 13:27   #1281
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xc902017 View Post
That really is a bit rich coming from nu11eaf!! I was accused of being a stooge/liar/ Volvo employee by him when I had the temerity to point out that my 16 D5 20” does not have this problem that he continually refers to. I even offered a ride in my car to compare - didn’t get a response.
Can you put a link to that comment to refresh my memory, are you saying I actually used those words you have put in print on an open forum.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 23:31   #1282
Xc902017

One thread is: Just ordered xc90 inscription. Sorry don’t know how to add links.

I may owe you half an apology as to be fair I conflated some of your criticism with that from Neon. But you did add a bit of personal abuse, plus you didn’t take me up on my offer of meeting up on the A19 to compare cars.

But when added to your continual moaning about this issue over the last 12 months I’m withdrawing the apology. The point I’ve been trying to make all the way along is just do something about it instead of venting.

Again I’m going to repeat myself here, but road noise in my 16 D5 20” is absolutely fine - not brilliant granted - but more than within tolerances for similar types of car.

And stated once more I have the greatest sympathy with those of you who aren’t in the same situation as me, but frankly at the time, if it was truly as bad as you say, you should have rejected your car under consumer law (as I have detailed in previous posts).
Xc902017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 00:44   #1283
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xc902017 View Post
One thread is: Just ordered xc90 inscription. Sorry don’t know how to add links.

I may owe you half an apology as to be fair I conflated some of your criticism with that from Neon. But you did add a bit of personal abuse, plus you didn’t take me up on my offer of meeting up on the A19 to compare cars.

But when added to your continual moaning about this issue over the last 12 months I’m withdrawing the apology. The point I’ve been trying to make all the way along is just do something about it instead of venting.

Again I’m going to repeat myself here, but road noise in my 16 D5 20” is absolutely fine - not brilliant granted - but more than within tolerances for similar types of car.

And stated once more I have the greatest sympathy with those of you who aren’t in the same situation as me, but frankly at the time, if it was truly as bad as you say, you should have rejected your car under consumer law (as I have detailed in previous posts).

So you are now admitting that you made a libelous statement about me by saying (and I quote your own words here)
"I was accused of being a stooge/liar/ Volvo employee by him" and you now retract your libelous statement. As you now admit it was not me.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 16:20   #1284
KingerV90

I've got a 2016 V90 with 20" wheels and Pirelli P Zero with PNCS. The sound quality in the car was great, that was until the Sound deadening foam inside the front tyre decided to part company with the outside wall of the tyre. The resulting vibration made the car undriveable at over 50mph. My Volvo dealer removed the offending material and rebalanced the wheels. Wasn't much different noise wise, until the second tyre failed and the dealer removed all the sound deadening material from both front tyres. The sound difference is quite bad on all but smooth surfaced roads. Volvo UK's response was far from acceptable as the said they didn't make the tyres and I should take it up with Pirelli. However my dealer had already been in contact with Pirelli and they suggested I should buy two new tyres and send the old one's back to them, if it was a manufacturing fault they would reimburse me for the tread left on the tyres.

Neither Volvo's "Not our problem" attitude or Pirelli's response are acceptable and I have escalated my grievance and await relies from both parties.

Just wondered if many others had encountered this problem with these tyres.

Regards

Graham
KingerV90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 21:13   #1285
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingerV90 View Post
I've got a 2016 V90 with 20" wheels and Pirelli P Zero with PNCS. The sound quality in the car was great, that was until the Sound deadening foam inside the front tyre decided to part company with the outside wall of the tyre. The resulting vibration made the car undriveable at over 50mph. My Volvo dealer removed the offending material and rebalanced the wheels. Wasn't much different noise wise, until the second tyre failed and the dealer removed all the sound deadening material from both front tyres. The sound difference is quite bad on all but smooth surfaced roads. Volvo UK's response was far from acceptable as the said they didn't make the tyres and I should take it up with Pirelli. However my dealer had already been in contact with Pirelli and they suggested I should buy two new tyres and send the old one's back to them, if it was a manufacturing fault they would reimburse me for the tread left on the tyres.

Neither Volvo's "Not our problem" attitude or Pirelli's response are acceptable and I have escalated my grievance and await relies from both parties.

Regards

Graham
This has been standard practice in the motor industry for many decades with tyres ..and it does say this somewhere in the volvo warranty small print .
Tyres being fairly simple things usually means an outcome in your favour !
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 23:04   #1286
AB-UK
Premier Member

As the tyres are not fit for purpose, the Small Claims Court should be appropriate.
Download the paperwork and for a small sum (reimbursed when you win) make Pirelli defend their stance.
Shouldn't take long for it to be sorted.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 09:52   #1287
jasz1156

Default Xc90 critique

I note xc90 invective against those who suggest the Volvo is less than perfect.
I raised the same tyre noise issue with the dealer and importer here in NZ who acknowledge the issue on coarse chip roads.The issue is widely reported and depends on the road surface. I suspect xc90 is on concrete or asphalt roads which are fine.
After the assertion that we should quit complaining and get out I have done so.I can confirm there are cars that do not have this problem including my wife’s Jeep Wrangler and the XJ jaguars. There may be others but the volvonista will have little interest.
My sympathies nuleaf as it appears dissension leads to personal attack.

Last edited by jasz1156; Jan 7th, 2018 at 09:55.
jasz1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasz1156 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 18:25   #1288
NewV90Owner

Default Road noise

I had the problem with a V90.

I tried hard to reject the car but Volvo were having none of it at all. They basically said lump it.

My dealer did a blinder and swapped it for a V90CC. Much better but not perfect.

I have just been down south and I did find some areas where the roads are generally quite smooth and there was a noticeable difference. Round here some of the roads are awful.

If I could do it all again I would probably be in something else. I can't afford to swap right now.
NewV90Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 23:14   #1289
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
As the tyres are not fit for purpose, the Small Claims Court should be appropriate.
Download the paperwork and for a small sum (reimbursed when you win) make Pirelli defend their stance.
Shouldn't take long for it to be sorted.
You will just be wasting your time and money as you have no contact with pirelli. You can only go after the dealer.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 21:00   #1290
PaddleB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingerV90 View Post

Regards

Graham
Graham,
I have exactly the same issue on my V90 and Pirelli tyres. Did you make any progress?
PaddleB is offline   Reply With Quote