Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Waiting times, XC60

Views : 28071

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2019, 10:07   #191
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDell View Post
The previous generation was. Now they are made at the Torslanda factory in Sweden.

For other markets they are made in Chengdu, Bangalore, and Shah Alam.

As for US production that is very recent and is only for the S60 currently. There has never been an XC60 built in USA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...duction_plants
My mistake when I read this news:
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/19/...ction-tariffs/

Thought they were moving the production over to the US to avoid the tariffs but in fact the moved the production from China to Europe for the US market.

I checked and the confirmed XC60 production sites are:
-Sweden: Torslanda
-China: Chengdu
-India: Bengaluru
-Malaysia: Shah Alam

I thought mine was built in Belgium but it was in fact built in Sweden.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 14:38   #192
MattDell

Yeah, that Autoblog headline is a bit misleading.

So
* US XC60's were made in China
* Because of Chinese tariffs US XC60's are now made in Torslanda

I assume that might increase lead times for European customers but the article does say "Chinese XC60 production previously shipped to U.S. dealers would be reallocated to markets including Europe, he said."

I wonder what European markets are getting the Chinese XC60.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 10:12   #193
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDell View Post

I wonder what European markets are getting the Chinese XC60.
Logistically speaking, it wouldn't make sense to have Chinese XC60s sent to premium countries that are nearby Sweden (France, UK, Switzerland, Germany, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Austria, etc)
However not sure about other markets (like Spain, Portugal, Poland, etc)

I also believe that if Brexit goes hard maybe it could be easier for Volvo to have the XC60 made in China and have it shipped over to the UK, if you take in consideration the delivery times VS production output for the other premium markets.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 13:25   #194
Automatic Only

Just had an update on delivery of my XC60 T8 - now to be late January 2020!
Needless to say but I'm not too impressed.
Apparently its all down to problems with supply of the batteries and isn't confined to Volvo - also as all T8's are made in China, the shipping from there takes 8 weeks.
Has anyone yet received a MY20 T8 as I'm very interested to know if the promised increase in battery life is particularly significant?
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 20:18   #195
Spamsteiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
Just had an update on delivery of my XC60 T8 - now to be late January 2020!
Needless to say but I'm not too impressed.
Apparently its all down to problems with supply of the batteries and isn't confined to Volvo - also as all T8's are made in China, the shipping from there takes 8 weeks.
Has anyone yet received a MY20 T8 as I'm very interested to know if the promised increase in battery life is particularly significant?

Interesting to note your Comments above on timings, I also had an update this week, looking at a 1st week of January 20 delivery on a XC60 T8 Polestar Enginered Model.

I built / ordered middle of May although was told delivery may well be sooner based on a planned Increase in production planned next month.
Spamsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 07:26   #196
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamsteiger View Post
Interesting to note your Comments above on timings, I also had an update this week, looking at a 1st week of January 20 delivery on a XC60 T8 Polestar Enginered Model.

I built / ordered middle of May although was told delivery may well be sooner based on a planned Increase in production planned next month.
Yes it seems the delay affects all T8 models as its the batteries that there seems to be a problem with the supply of. That would fit with the the lead times I'm expecting as my order didn't finally go in until the end of May or early June.
Have to say I'm jealous of you getting the Polestar - beginning to think I should have gone for that instead of my specced up Inscription.
The wait is nearly killing me - I so can't wait to get my hands on it!
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 22:58   #197
Spamsteiger

Quote:
Yes it seems the delay affects all T8 models as its the batteries that there seems to be a problem with the supply of. That would fit with the the lead times I'm expecting as my order didn't finally go in until the end of May or early June.
Have to say I'm jealous of you getting the Polestar - beginning to think I should have gone for that instead of my specced up Inscription.
The wait is nearly killing me - I so can't wait to get my hands on it!
Well lets hope the battery situation improves, demand I guess has never been higher so I'm working on the assumption of the worst scenario date I was given.

Likewise, I'm thinking I should have gone for the Inscription model as there are some things not included on the Polestar engineered model!

Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has a polestar model on order and if they are expecting a delivery any earlier?!
Spamsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 10:19   #198
jonnyu

Quote:
also as all T8's are made in China
This is not 100% accurate.
Since April 2017 the T8's are made in Torslanda and in Chengdu since October 2017.
I believe that due to recent changes due to US tariffs and due to brexit fears, the UK market has been supplied with cars made in China instead of Sweden.

So the UK market does only receive T8s coming from China but they are also manufactured in Sweden for other European countries and the US.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 21:54   #199
Whyman
Premier Member

So do Sweden only make left hand drive cars and China right hand drive?
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 13:15   #200
MattDell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
So do Sweden only make left hand drive cars and China right hand drive?
No.

It depends on the country and the spec, but the majority of UK-spec XC60's are built in Torslanda, Sweden.

The only notable exception I can think of is the T4, which is made in China.

Update - I've checked a sample of 19-reg XC60's through my system at work and 100% of them were made in Sweden. Even the T8's. Like I said I only know of the T4 being made in China for the UK market and that's a special (cheap) edition. If anyone has a MY20 plate I'm happy to check its country of origin.

Last edited by MattDell; Jul 29th, 2019 at 13:24.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote