Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG: When will people learn! (???)

Views : 11789

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2019, 10:01   #71
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
As well as that does explain it I still do not think the message will get through
I'd have to take issue with you there 'classic'. It's clear an English teacher has struggled in the past, and with quite simple grammar.

Would you agree, a cattle-prod might do it?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; May 5th, 2019 at 10:03.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 00:25   #72
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If the English teacher had been allowed to use it back then there might have been hope, most likely too late even for that now
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 22:53   #73
k3210

I've had a few LPG cars - one high mileage one required an evaporator rebuild at 120k. Another had a coil fail on a solenoid after 10 years use. Total cost for both repairs - under £50.

Yes, I do know which end of a screwdriver to hold and I wont wet myself at the thought of getting a little dirt under my nails - but I am no mechanic or LPG expert.

My current volvo had a problem with the Petrol pump relay not operating reliably. Luckily, it had LPG so I was able to hold the relay whilst the car warmed up and changed to LPG.

If I had not had LPG, I would have needed a day off work (which I could not afford). Install LPG - give your car a better chance of getting you to work - do not be put off by those who have more mouth than experience.
k3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k3210 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 20:51   #74
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Had my lpg system fitted on my 940 coming up 5 years ago now. Prins system, about £1400. Still runs like a dream. Best thing I ever did.

It has saved me at least £8000 on fuel costs in that time, probably a lot more.

I only ever had one problem. I took it in for the lpg service (filter change I believe is what they do) at a time when it ran like a dream. The other guy in the waiting room was ranting and raving that they hadn't fixed his Volvo lpg problem on his previous visit and told me all his symptoms. When we both eventually left his Volvo was fixed and mine had the identical sypmptoms that he had come in with. Wierd that, eh? Maybe other people think what I thought but I'll say no more as I still use the installers. Anyway, I had to run on petrol for a few weeks whilst they ordered a part which I didn't end up paying for as I was borderline warranty period expiration.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 21:36   #75
capt jack
VOC Member

Default LPG is great!

Had my old 1997 V70 converted by a reputable LPG conversion company at 50,000 miles. Eight years and 250,000 trouble-free LPG miles later I made the silly mistake of selling the car.

LPG was a resounding success for me. I reckon to have saved around £15,000 in fuel costs in that time.

Apart from the cost of the conversion - around £1800 - I changed the plugs and oil and gas filter every 10,000 miles, and the plug leads rotor and dissy cap at 100,000 and 200,000 miles. A gas filter was £12, plugs were bog standard copper-cored single pin Denso at less than £2 each. The oil that came out each service was clean and clear, and the car never suffered from accumulated crank-case gunk and the associated PCV-related problems. Gas burns way cleaner than petrol.

My direct experience of a quarter of a million LPG miles in eight years is that if it's done properly and serviced regularly LPG is a total money-saving success.

I'm seriously considering getting my current 1997 S90 done. With fuel consumption in the mid-twenties it wouldn't take too long to recoup the capital costs.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; May 30th, 2019 at 21:39.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2019, 00:35   #76
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
It's taken time to understnad, yet aside form houses, I can't think of many things I've done where I've made more money for less effort. Because I did 'make' money.
This is it ''in a nutshell''. I agree, apart from buying and selling 2 properties for huge profit in my (past) lifetime my next biggest sum of 'money for nothing' I've made has been the 8 grand or so I've made in under 5 years that I've not had to spend on petrol. It really is a no brainer. Plus I'm a less polluting than petrol and gas.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 21:16   #77
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
This is it ''in a nutshell''. I agree, apart from buying and selling 2 properties for huge profit in my (past) lifetime my next biggest sum of 'money for nothing' I've made has been the 8 grand or so I've made in under 5 years that I've not had to spend on petrol. It really is a no brainer. Plus I'm a less polluting than petrol and gas.
Somebody 'gets' it. How much hassle does LPG have to be before the above wouldn't be true? For arguments sake, even if the naysaysers are right, how often do you need to be left stranded for the sort of savings involved, not to be worthwhile? Easy money, me and most of us would beg to be stranded a few times, miles from home, for £8K. On my miles I've saved more.

If that's the worst that can happen, send me the cheque, and book me in.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 18th, 2019 at 21:21.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 09:18   #78
SwedSteel

I had also an LPG car in the past, my last Volvo and the Supra weren't, but also thinking to convert the freshly bought Volvo to LPG.

The LPG car was great, low costs no problems for about 100k Miles.
SwedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote