Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential owner questions

Views : 1803

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:12   #1
candell

Default Potential owner questions

I posted on here a few weeks ago and received some great replies, I took a look at the XC60, V60 and V90 with the V90 being the front runner. The saleman was a bit of a plank and couldn't/wouldn't answer my questions. You folks will probably know more so here we go;
  1. What intervals do Volvo introduce design refreshes, how long until the v90 will see one?
  2. Does the car come with any smart features such as an app that can pre heat the car, set directions on my phone and send to the car, show whether the car is locked etc?
  3. Does the satnav show live traffic data, an awesome feature of my current A4 is the Google maps live data
  4. Does android auto and carplay work well in the Volvo
  5. With Audi I could code my car to perform functions the dealers don't activate by default, such as chime on locking, mirror down when selecting reverse, lane assist etc. Does Volvo have anything similar?

Thanks

Last edited by candell; Jun 25th, 2019 at 13:30.
candell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:59   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

1: ?

2: Yes

3: Yes

4: I would not pay extra for it.

5: Yes:
lots of selectable functions, no lock/unlock chime (on my xc90) but indicators flash on or off selectable.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 13:35   #3
candell

Thanks for the reply, question 1 fixed, not sure what happened there.

2. Is this Volvo on Call? The reviews are quite poor, although the audi app reviews are poor with people saying it never works but it works great for me

3. Do you know what mapping and traffic providers it uses?

4. can't believe it's a paid extra these days

5. thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:01   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candell View Post
Thanks for the reply, question 1 fixed, not sure what happened there.

2. Is this Volvo on Call? The reviews are quite poor, although the audi app reviews are poor with people saying it never works but it works great for me

3. Do you know what mapping and traffic providers it uses?

4. can't believe it's a paid extra these days

5. thanks
volvo on call is a major safety and security feature which they introduced 20 years ago ,now the germans are just getting in on the bandwagon :-) the phone app is just a useful gimmick .

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/h.../volvo-on-call

The navigation maps are by HERE and updates are every couple of months and FREE from 2012 ish .
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:09   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I have no problem with VOC and it works perfectly fine for me, remote start, door locking, trip journal and more, have all been fine with no problems, I have renewed my VOC for a further two years after my initial 3 years were up, maps on VOC are Google maps not sure about sensus navigation, you can select a destination in the VOC app and send it to your car, which has worked every time I have used it.

I find the remote start handy in winter to clear the screens and preheat steering wheel and seats and the car a little and in summer to cool it down when very hot before getting in it, sadly the summer time remote start does not get used very often where I live.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 25th, 2019 at 14:18.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:11   #6
candell

Thanks Clan, the Audi maps use HERE also so I know my street will be on there. How are they updated, over the air or sd card or dealer?

Do the traffic updates come from HERE also, or use a third party such as Google maps?

Does the car come with a sim, can I tether it to my 4G phone?
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:38   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

You can update maps over the air and via a USB stick from your computer/laptop, you provide your own data sim card or you can tether your phone by cable or bluetooth, using the phone as a wifi hotspot is easier but saps the battery so I keep mine plugged in to the charge point. Most on here use a 3 data sim card.

Some earlier base cars did not have a sim card holder as standard, ensure your cars has this and VOC. I would think they are standard on all cars now but best to check.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 25th, 2019 at 14:42.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 15:46   #8
WhatNext?

I think if you upgrade the audio now, you get Android Auto and Carplay thrown in.

I will NEVER buy anything without it TBH. The main reason I didn't go for an X3.

There is no beating Google Maps (or Waze) for traffic.

The implementation could be better (full screen use), but if I had to do it again I WILL pay for it again
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 15:53   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candell View Post
Thanks Clan, the Audi maps use HERE also so I know my street will be on there. How are they updated, over the air or sd card or dealer?

Do the traffic updates come from HERE also, or use a third party such as Google maps?

Does the car come with a sim, can I tether it to my 4G phone?
Maps are downloaded from the volvo support web site at 49 gb on to a 64 gb USB stick, then into the car , the car bit takes just under an hour , It could be a bit pricey to use your mobile Data ! I believe the traffic does come from Elsewhere Via the SIM or your tethered phone .
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 17:16   #10
mr rusty

RTTI - real time traffic information relies on you putting a data sim in the onboard modem or connecting to the internet through a bluetooth tethered phone. I just stick a cheap data sim in - good for internet radio, spotify as well. I don't have android auto and don't miss it.

I find RTTI really good - as you zoom the map in and out it displays green amber and red road borders giving a good overview ahead. It will also suggest route changes (but I usually ignore these if they are detours off a motorway, because my experience is more often than not you are better staying on the mway)

VOC works great for me - no issues.

What V90 does come with as standard (not I believe on V60/XC60) is Pilot Assist with adaptive cruise. I didn't think I would benefit, but I use PA prob 50% of a motorway journey and adaptive cruise 80%.