Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new xc90 first impression

Views : 15363

Replies : 168

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2016, 07:17   #11
172navigator

Interesting/upsetting to keep reading the sat nav comments. I just ordered an XC90 for my wife. I bought a Jaguar XE last year for myself and that too has all the sat nav problems discussed here. Sounds like the same system. That particular system got an update on my seventh dealer visit in a year (various issues) and now you can add a house number to a postcode. So perhaps the XC90 will get an update too.
172navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 09:40   #12
yeoman
Master Member

I do not find the Tyre noise to be "excessive"
It is certainly more noticeable than in my last car which was a BMW x5.

It is a fact though that the continental tires are noisier irrespective of the diameter.
I certainly will not be choosing continentals when it is time for a change.Is the noise sufficient for me to change the tyres now? certainly not.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 09:43   #13
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Picked up my new xc90 the other day, and my first impression is its a good car but you cannot in any way class it as a luxury car for one reason, ROAD NOISE, the tyre noise on anything but a smooth tarmac road is just atrocious, a luxury car should waft you along in near silence, this is so loud you need to turn the radio up to try to drown some of it out, it spoils the whole car, engine is nice and smooth, quiet and responsive, the car looks really nice, but boy the road noise is deafening, it is really quiet on smooth tarmac but on other normal roads have ear plugs at hand.
The satnav is not the best, for some reason it will not let me put my house number in and directs me on a detour round near by roads to the wrong end of my road, even trying voice control to direct me to home address did not let me use house number, its crap, better off with a cheap tomtom. £59 THOUSAND POUNDS, What a con. Luxury car my arse.
if you go on a test run do not stick to the volvo reps route take it off the smooth tarmac and on other roads, they have a route to show the car off on the best roads so it sounds quiet.
Dissapointed with it, you bet I am.
One last gripe, when we picked the car up we were given a voucher for a meal for two at a posh hotel, miles from anywhere so you have to drive there so cant have a drink with your meal, waste of time, will not be used, a nice bunch of flowers for the Mrs would have been a nicer gift.
Th good news in this respect is that once you drive the alternative route you insist on 3 times, the car will "learn" this and remember it, and no longer insist on the the original route it would have used.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 09:46   #14
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegGodt View Post
I have the Momentum 19 inch and air. I find it a dream to drive - both noise wise and gliding. Can't believe the 20 inch makes that much difference. I was coming out of a 2013 BMW 528.

Once you get into a negative mind set you are going to find fault. That's with anything. Period.
I agree.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 10:00   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoom View Post
Is then the road noise more noticeable in the inscription trim than the R design ( both with 20')???
They are the same, the only difference in the cars are the R design looks a bit more sporty with its trim, and has flappy paddles etc but running gear is the same.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 10:00   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Picked up my new xc90 the other day, and my first impression is its a good car but you cannot in any way class it as a luxury car for one reason, ROAD NOISE, the tyre noise on anything but a smooth tarmac road is just atrocious, a luxury car should waft you along in near silence, this is so loud you need to turn the radio up to try to drown some of it out, it spoils the whole car, engine is nice and smooth, quiet and responsive, the car looks really nice, but boy the road noise is deafening, it is really quiet on smooth tarmac but on other normal roads have ear plugs at hand.
The satnav is not the best, for some reason it will not let me put my house number in and directs me on a detour round near by roads to the wrong end of my road, even trying voice control to direct me to home address did not let me use house number, its crap, better off with a cheap tomtom. £59 THOUSAND POUNDS, What a con. Luxury car my arse.
if you go on a test run do not stick to the volvo reps route take it off the smooth tarmac and on other roads, they have a route to show the car off on the best roads so it sounds quiet.
Dissapointed with it, you bet I am.
One last gripe, when we picked the car up we were given a voucher for a meal for two at a posh hotel, miles from anywhere so you have to drive there so cant have a drink with your meal, waste of time, will not be used, a nice bunch of flowers for the Mrs would have been a nicer gift.
It is always disappointing to buy something which does not live up to your expectations, so I do feel for you.

I would say, however, that the tyre noise issue has been all over this and other forums for well over a year now. When I made my choice of car 11 months ago I specifically chose the Momentum to get the 19in tyres so that I could avoid the 20in tyres.

Having driven my car back to back on the same road against a D5 courtesy car on 20in wheels I can say with some certainty that the 19in are near silent and the 20in are intrusive.

As for the satnav, what car did you come from? I have had many brands and I have never found a manufacturers' sat nav which is better than a £50 Tom Tom (Or Garmin) or even my Samsung smart phone running Google Maps.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 10:14   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
I agree.
I do not have a negative mind, I am just disappointed that volvo have not tackled this issue as it has been discussed on all forums, and as I say they are trying to brand it in the luxury car market, it looks the part but they really should be less tyre noise, a trip to Whitby in North Yorkshire the other day along the moor road was really very noisy, a luxury car at this price should be very quiet. Its a case of putting looks over functionality.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 10:18   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
Thanks, I have an R-Design ordered with 22s!! I was kinda hoping the road noise would have been sorted in the MY17. I am now worried. Anyone else got any thoughts or comparisons. This is not an issue that has come up much in reviews (or has it)
I was hoping that Volvo had addressed this issue with the MY 2017 as well but alas they have done nothing about it, as I found out on my first run out in the car.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 10:24   #19
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
Th good news in this respect is that once you drive the alternative route you insist on 3 times, the car will "learn" this and remember it, and no longer insist on the the original route it would have used.
Thats fine if you know the correct route but if you are going to a place you dont know it can take you on a daft detour, and you really only need a satnav to get you to places you do not know. But thanks for the info about learning routes.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 10:24   #20
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
Thanks, I have an R-Design ordered with 22s!! I was kinda hoping the road noise would have been sorted in the MY17. I am now worried. Anyone else got any thoughts or comparisons. This is not an issue that has come up much in reviews (or has it)
There is a guy on here from London with a T8 on 22s and he has been quite clear that he believes that the 22s do not suffer the droning intrusive road noise of the 20s. He is happy with his 22s. I can't remember his forum name, but he posted quite a bit. A search may find the thread, unless anyone else can remember the postings.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote