Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting a dashcam

Views : 15698

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 11:17   #21
Fliegenpilz

RE airbag discussion. The cable MUST be behind the airbag unit and SECURED well. During impact and just a millisecond beforehand the airbag pyrotechnics release the bag which involves ejecting the covers and deploy maximum inflation with subsequent deflation. During that very rapid deployment there are a lot of forces at play and a wire "tucked" away will simply fly like a lasso and hinder the correct deployment of the bag.

To really relate to this why not have a look at youtube clips that show slow motion car dummy impact tests and just see how much debris and other bits fly about. You can imagine your wire in between all that like a lasso.

Dont mess with the airbag protocol. Put the wire securely behind the bag. Best practice is to follow existing wiring around that area.
Fliegenpilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 17:38   #22
Quacker
Premier Member

I would be very interested if you could link to any references where pushing a dash cam wire under the side of the A pillar trim has impeded the deployment of the airbag in a real-life situation. I'm sure there must be plenty if it is indeed an issue. There are plenty of crashes to cars with side pillar and curtain airbags plus dash cams where the airbags have deployed I'm sure, and if the wire has impeded the deployment there should be plenty of examples. Only thing is, I can't find one.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:23   #23
Fliegenpilz

Quacker, with all due respect. We are all trying to ensure 100% safety. 99% is not good enough. Car manufacturers have no reason to test airbag efficiency or failures due to poorly amateur installed dashcam wiring or otherwise. Why would they do that? Ergo, why would there be links to such topic?

If you have loose wires then there is an increased chance they interfere with the airbag deployment. I stand by that and so does any other engineer. If you are an engineer then please make sure you do not work for Boeing or Airbus (just a joke).

Go ahead if you want and install it by simply tugging it under the cover as you say, hopefully you will not prove me right statistically and even if so after an accident nobody will investigate a loose dashcam wire in a crashsite.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:57   #24
Quacker
Premier Member

So there is no example you can give? Not a single example? Surely if it of any significance you could find two or three?
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 19:41   #25
themanhimself

i have a camera front back left side right side for 360 camera why can i not use these as dash cameras
front sensors, Volvo on call, 12.3 inch display
retractable tow bar, spare wheel
themanhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 20:10   #26
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
I have a camera front back left side right side for 360 camera why can i not use these as dash cameras

Not one manufacturer seems to have fitted a recording facility to their front or rear or indeed surround cameras as yet, although you'd think it the obvious thing to do. They should aim them for greater distance range in some cases perhaps, but it shouldn't be too difficult for the car manufacturer to build in.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 22:28   #27
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Not one manufacturer seems to have fitted a recording facility to their front or rear or indeed surround cameras as yet, although you'd think it the obvious thing to do. They should aim them for greater distance range in some cases perhaps, but it shouldn't be too difficult for the car manufacturer to build in.
New 2017 Citroen C3

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...lt-in-dashcam/

Now I’m not saying I’d swap the XC for one, but it’s shows that some manufacturers are starting to take this seriously.

I think the 360 cameras are too low and perhaps too wide angle (distorted) for dashcam purposes but the pilot / Lane assist / road sign cam would be ideal I’m sure, but it’s not to be!

D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 16:00   #28
Fliegenpilz

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
So there is no example you can give? Not a single example? Surely if it of any significance you could find two or three?
Quacker please, try to be constructive....

I have no time to trawl the net to find evidence of what any intelligent person can figure out.

I say wire it properly, you say just tug it in and cross it.

In statistics we use something called type 1 and type 2 error. Type 1 measures the probability of rejecting something true, whilst type 2 error measure accepting something that is wrong.

As a little riddle for you... which type error is your assertion and which one could lead to a horrible outcome?
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 22:27   #29
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliegenpilz View Post
Quacker please, try to be constructive....

I have no time to trawl the net to find evidence of what any intelligent person can figure out.

I say wire it properly, you say just tug it in and cross it.

In statistics we use something called type 1 and type 2 error. Type 1 measures the probability of rejecting something true, whilst type 2 error measure accepting something that is wrong.

As a little riddle for you... which type error is your assertion and which one could lead to a horrible outcome?
I strongly object to health and safety gestapo inventing potential problems where none exist. I seldom let such nonsense pass.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 01:45   #30
AKTAKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliegenpilz View Post
I have an XC90 T8 2016 and fitted a 2ch Thinkware F770. I have no issues with it it works well. Here some tips:
All very useful information. I am considering getting the F800PRO dual channel camera and was wondering if the two cameras need to be physically connected or whether you can just wire the rear one to the fusebox in the boot?

Contemplating doing it myself rather than having a 'professional' install it as I will take more care in doing it.

Cheers

Andy
AKTAKT is offline   Reply With Quote