Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 63145

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2019, 16:13   #271
gaby
Premier Member

To prevent the body from acting as an antenna, the solution may be to wrap an iron chain around the wrist
and let it hang touching the ground, effectively connecting the body to earth.
Perhaps a bit inconvenient, but certainly better than giving up on this most prestigious feature
keyless entry seems to be
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 14:38   #272
steladamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
My Faraday pouch will also allow me to open the car with the key inside the pouch, when I am holding the pouch. I understand that it's something to do with the body acting as an antenna when you're holding the pouch.

If I place the pouch containing key on the car roof I cannot open the car.
Bummer, I just gave a very bad review to an ebay shop for purchasing a faraday pouch and still being able to lock and unlock the car while having the key in the pouch and altogether in my pocket. I will try not having the pouch on me to see if it works and go back to amend my review.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 16:06   #273
James77

I am also able to stand by the vehicle and open doors with the key inside the faraday pouch. I got so paranoid that I took all 3 keys away with me this weekend in the Campervan, couldn't believe I've been at risk for the last few months when we leave the cars on the drive every other week!

I'll have to purchase some sort of shabby chic metal box to store the keys in.

I don't really care about comfort access on the doors but I do find waving the foot underneath the tailgate useful.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 18:09   #274
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
My Faraday pouch will also allow me to open the car with the key inside the pouch, when I am holding the pouch. I understand that it's something to do with the body acting as an antenna when you're holding the pouch.

If I place the pouch containing key on the car roof I cannot open the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steladamo View Post
Bummer, I just gave a very bad review to an ebay shop for purchasing a faraday pouch and still being able to lock and unlock the car while having the key in the pouch and altogether in my pocket. I will try not having the pouch on me to see if it works and go back to amend my review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I am also able to stand by the vehicle and open doors with the key inside the faraday pouch. I got so paranoid that I took all 3 keys away with me this weekend in the Campervan, couldn't believe I've been at risk for the last few months when we leave the cars on the drive every other week!

I don't really care about comfort access on the doors but I do find waving the foot underneath the tailgate useful.
Just tried my keys in a pouch stood next to the car, pouch in hand and zippo, stayed locked.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 19:23   #275
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post

Hold my tin with my keys in it next to the car and it opens.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 19:24   #276
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Hold my tin with my keys in it next to the car and it opens.....
And put the tin on the floor next to the car or on the roof and it still opens.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 20:59   #277
Ringthane
VOC Member

A metal tin won’t always work, as it is not a Faraday Cage.

You can google the precise physics behind the signal blocking properties of the cage, but suffice to say, the mesh is the bit that does the work, if my memory serves me right.

There are good pouches and bad ones. Again, google best Faraday pouch and get one that has had someone test it along side other pouches. I have two kinds, one I got by amazon recommendations and the other was independently tested by a magazine. I can’t remember which one, but I can find out if required.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 13:23   #278
volvocat

This one works for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077YNQW82/

- with any qty. or combination of the keys inside - no response from the car at all.
Open it just a little so you can see the keys and everything works as usual.
It is a little small for 2x keys, remote tag, a small key fob and spare garage key which I keep on one ring for convenience, but fold the flap over firmly and neatly and it’s fine.
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:21   #279
BillyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
And put the tin on the floor next to the car or on the roof and it still opens.....
Did the same thing and it stayed locked. Maybe the type of metal is important i.e. ferrous or non-ferrous? Mine is a tin from Aldi that originally held chocolates at Christmas.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 10:23   #280
Haldex
Premier Member

https://youtu.be/0Colc77VjzU

https://www.whatcar.com/news/keyless-car-crime/n19875

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/ownin...vent-it/n19894

Relay attacks seem to be an escalating problem in the UK..

XC40 B4 RD AWD

Last edited by Haldex; Aug 9th, 2019 at 10:31.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote