Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hard wire dashcam to 2019 V90CC.

Views : 2778

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2019, 13:49   #11
Mc Lovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallison View Post
This is the mini USB version I bought for my previous camera on Amazon but for the Viofo I use it with a mini to micro USB adaptor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074M4XM...p_mob_ap_share

They sell a micro version as well, just search for Rearmaster OBD on Amazon. It is either always on as long as the battery is more than 11.6v or switches off with the engine after a few seconds. Details are in the listing.
I now have my camera and it appears to use a mini usb power supply. You say you use a mini to micro adapter? Do you mean the other way around or do you have a different version to me? I figure I may as well buy the one that matches but am thinking mini usb is older tech so for future proof may get the micro one and use an adapter for now? Then again if I ever change camera I will probably have changed car so can use the fusebox.

What do most cameras use mini or micro usb?

Also any chance you could post a picture of your rear cam and where the wire comes from? Do you use the parking mode and have you had any battery issues?

Last edited by Mc Lovin; Jun 21st, 2019 at 14:05.
Mc Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 20:15   #12
pallison

My mistake, it was the micro usb OBD cable I bought for my previous camera and I had to buy a micro to mini usb converter for the Viofo camera. That was just a couple of pounds from eBay if I recall and is just a straight piece about 3cm long.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GK0...w?usp=drivesdk

Not sure if the picture link will show above, but I ran the rear cable round the headlining, and through the rubber conduit between the roof and the bootlid. The ends of the conduit can be released just by squeezing them and I was able to wiggle the end of the cable through eventually. Once the cable is inside the bootlid the best way I found to route it was by making a hole in the trim piece at the top of the window. Cutting off the clip on the rear and using a sharp blade made a hole just big enough for the connector to fit though. This trim just pops off and is easily replaced should I ever want to remove the camera and return the car to standard. I used a rubber gromit just to tidy up the square hole and keep things neat.

The rear camera is just stuck to that same trim piece with one of the sticky pads it came with, and the lens is angled down a little o get a clear view through the window. Fitting it above the glass also helps to minimise how it appears in the rear view mirror and from outside the car (with the privacy glass it's almost invisible).
pallison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pallison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 21:25   #13
Mc Lovin

Thanks again. That looks like a brilliant job. I'm a couple of months into an 18 month lease so don't think I want to cut any holes, but will consider it. I don't mind some slightly exposed wires if needs be.

I've ordered the power supply, a sandisk endurance card and the bluetooth video save button. Hopefully they will here soon. I also tested the camera and rear camera with a power bank to make sure it's working before I install it.
Mc Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote