Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ADAS not working at low temperatures

Views : 2065

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2024, 09:54   #11
silo24

Sounds to me like there's an earth fault or other wiring issue somewhere in the heater element behind the sensor package in the windscreen or potentially the radar module if equipped.

When the temperature drops below 6 degrees, the heater element is likely activated and that will be causing an issue.

Have you had a replacement windscreen by any chance?
silo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 10:21   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian77 View Post
Pure hypothesis but the radar in the grille emblem is heated and I wonder if there is something not quite right with it? That could manifest as a cold weather only issue with those sort of systems.

I can’t work out why they would move the radar to the grille, surely behind the screen where it’s swept by wiper, is in the warm inside of the car and higher up is a better place 🤷
I didn't think that the SPA cars have any radar in the grille. I believe it is all in the housing behind the mirror.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 13:50   #13
viraj

I am also facing exactly the same issue here in Germany since mid of November 2023. I had the second service of my 2022 XC60 mild hybrid diesel done at a local volvo dealer in October 2023. Since then there have been multiple errors occuring intermittently associated with internet, modem and particularly adas functions. Despite multiple visits at a couple of volvo dealers, the issues are not yet resolved.
viraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 22:20   #14
FreddieC73

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftgrub100 View Post
Just wondering is the temp on the dash correct or reading wrong also ?
temperature reads correct. It looks like a typical software bug, causing the system to crash when the temperature is outside a determined range. :-(
FreddieC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 22:23   #15
FreddieC73

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
Sounds to me like there's an earth fault or other wiring issue somewhere in the heater element behind the sensor package in the windscreen or potentially the radar module if equipped.

When the temperature drops below 6 degrees, the heater element is likely activated and that will be causing an issue.

I did have a replacement windscreen indeed (OEM by Autoglass), but the system was working fine, until after a software update. My hypothesis was exactly the same as yours- I asked the same question about the low temperature switching on a heating element that does not work and therefore switched off the system. The engineer did not look interested at all.
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 22:25   #16
FreddieC73

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
I am also facing exactly the same issue here in Germany since mid of November 2023. I had the second service of my 2022 XC60 mild hybrid diesel done at a local volvo dealer in October 2023. Since then there have been multiple errors occuring intermittently associated with internet, modem and particularly adas functions. Despite multiple visits at a couple of volvo dealers, the issues are not yet resolved.
This is exactly what happened to me after the software update in November 2022- immediately afterwards, the dash started lighting up like a Christmas tree with sensor errors, camera errors, ADAS not working requiring service. Everything can be sorted making sure the measured temperature when the ignition is turned on is more than 6C.
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 22:27   #17
FreddieC73

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post

Forgot to say- one thing that does not fit with the temperature/heater element fault is the fact that the problem is solved by making sure the measured temperature is above 6C when turning the ignition on- the system works well if the temperature drops immediately afterwards. Was this a fault of the heater element, shouldn't it reappear whenever the measured external temperature is below 6C, even when I am driving?
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 22:28   #18
FreddieC73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I didn't think that the SPA cars have any radar in the grille. I believe it is all in the housing behind the mirror.
That's correct- no radar in the grille.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreddieC73 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 01:15   #19
silo24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieC73 View Post
Forgot to say- one thing that does not fit with the temperature/heater element fault is the fact that the problem is solved by making sure the measured temperature is above 6C when turning the ignition on- the system works well if the temperature drops immediately afterwards. Was this a fault of the heater element, shouldn't it reappear whenever the measured external temperature is below 6C, even when I am driving?
Not necessarily.....not sure if you get the whole 'ticklist' in the dash when you power on.....some things are only checked at startup.....then not checked again until the next startup.

Could well be a parameter that is only checked at startup and then any other values are just accepted.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 01:19   #20
silo24

Incidentally I've just had to have a new windscreen as the screen I had in the car when I bought it used (Volvo Selekt, 2.5yrs old) didn't have a genuine screen fitted.

Volvo wouldn't honour the warranty for Auto Sensing Wipers and the supplying dealer had to foot the bill for the new screen.

Even though the wipers still worked, they kept throwing an error due to the ADAS heating circuit showing open-loop.

Not the same fault but possibly a similar scenario.