Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 1995 disks

Views : 783

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 21:12   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 1995 disks

hi all
i have removed my disks and put them back on a few months back .since then i seem to have a little vibration around 30.m.p.h
if i did not replace them in the exact position with the small locking pin could this be the cause . its the nearside front when the brake dust starts to show on the wheel there is also a little bit of rust type colour on each spoke . it would mean removing the disk and moving it one notch on the locking pin till i find the position it was in in the first place . hope this is not to confusing
help please
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 21:27   #2
DEWFPO
960 & S90 owner

Did you use a torque wrench in a star pattern when reinstalling the lug nuts? I find these (and many other) vehicles to be very particular about the lug nut torque. Otherwise there can be differential heating/cooling of the brake disk thereby creating a pulsing in the brake pedal, especially the hotter they get.

DEWFPO
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 22:18   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 disks

hi
is that the 5 wheel nuts ?
i have not ever used a torque wrench do i need to use one for that . I'm thinking the disk did not go back in the exact same place . the disks have done 90000 miles so maybe time to replace . and hope it cures the problem
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 22:24   #4
DEWFPO
960 & S90 owner

Yes, that's the 5 wheel nuts. If they are not torqued evenly to the proper spec an in the correct pattern, they can heat unevenly.

DEWFPO
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 22:47   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi there I think you'll find if you take the wheel off you will see there is only one place for the disk to locate,The bolt or pin with the six millimetre thread only has one hole in the disk to go.I agree the wheel nuts should be torqued but in all my years of motoring have never used one.I usually just do them up until slightly tight then fully tighten every other one.until you get back to the first one.

As a clue as to how tight they should be volvo kindly supply a wheel wrench with the car.It is designed to be capable of tightening the wheel sufficently if you get a puncture.Therefore should be sufficent to keep the wheels on ok.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 19:13   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

Do you mean vibration when braking?

I have heard the disk rotational thing but never seen any evidence. You maybe need a run out gauge.

My braking wobble was caused by worn bearings.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 22:19   #7
jpliddy
VOC Member

hi all

the slight steering wheel vibration is most noticeable around 30 m.p.h

but the slight rust colour is seen on the same edge of each spoke on my 10 spoke alloys even after a couple of days after washing . there is a location hole for the locking pin beside each wheel nut hole s it can go back in 4 different places than when first removed . how big a job is it to inspect the wheel bearing?
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 13:15   #8
TonyS9
Premier Member

I found you can't inspect it or test it easily at home. Maybe if you had a run out gauge on the wheel. If was only after a few years of disk changes and worsening problem I decided it was not the disks.

If its wobbling without braking its unlikely to be the brake disk (unless it not machined flat at the mating surfaces). Maybe you have some dirt behind the disk.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: