Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Manual Gearbox Additive?

Views : 1186

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 00:01   #1
iantowil

Default D5 Manual Gearbox Additive?

Thought it probably best asking this question here - I have a manual gearbox on my C70 D5 that I assume is pretty heavy duty so tends to be quite clunky on cold mornings and maybe not the slickest unless the weather is hot. Does anyone know of or experience of a good gearbox additive. I've used the Molyslip Gearbox paste additive in my 2.5 Cougar 10 years ago and it made a nice little difference, making it a bit smoother. Not sure if this is suitable for the D5 manual box though - anyone have any experiences of this type of thing?
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 19:20   #2
paulhanson30
paulhanson30

Hi you should not need additives, try using fully synthetic oil in gear box that should help
paulhanson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 19:22   #3
jamesferns
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
Thought it probably best asking this question here - I have a manual gearbox on my C70 D5 that I assume is pretty heavy duty so tends to be quite clunky on cold mornings and maybe not the slickest unless the weather is hot. Does anyone know of or experience of a good gearbox additive. I've used the Molyslip Gearbox paste additive in my 2.5 Cougar 10 years ago and it made a nice little difference, making it a bit smoother. Not sure if this is suitable for the D5 manual box though - anyone have any experiences of this type of thing?

Do not add molyslip or any other additive, end of story.
jamesferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 19:25   #4
iantowil

Sounds like you're not a fan of gearbox additives - bad experience or evidence against their use?
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 21:41   #5
CJL
Master Member

You could try changine the oil if it's old. Did this on an M56 gearbox after 100K miles and it did help a bit. I'd use the genuine Volvo oil too without any additives.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 20:03   #6
jamesferns
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Sounds like you're not a fan of gearbox additives - bad experience or evidence against their use?

No im not, when volvo designed the box they specified a lubricant that best served its needs therefore what volvo specifies is what to use, any additives that may be required will be incorporated into that lubricant, Best bet replace the old oil with new, and if you understand the principle of how a syncromesh unit works you will realise a molyidimium based additive is just what they dont need.
jamesferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 21:28   #7
iantowil

Please enlighten me on why a syncromesh box doesn't like a molybdenum based additive. Keen to know the technical reasons.

Last edited by iantowil; Mar 13th, 2012 at 21:45.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 22:13   #8
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Have a look / search for threads on gearbox problems. Autoboxes in particular are sensitive to the oil used. Get it wrong and you are looking at the thick end of a wedge.

A recent example
http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/18593-s...03#entry212503

TBH I'm not bothered about the technical reasons although I will read and absorb anything that's out there. Nothing else than genuine Volvo fluid will be used in mine (if anything needs changing or adding). There's enough evidence to show the boxes don't like anything else than what they were designed for. End of.....

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 22:35   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The original oil will last and last , in fact there are many 20 year old 850's etc going around fine with original oil in , It is the best quality synthetic .
However the latest oil you get from the dealer is slightly revised to help with cold weather changes on the later cars , it wouldnt do your gearbox any harm and may help it if you are having trouble . BUT your problem may be clutch drag , you really need to get it diagnosed if you have a problem .
Yes the 850 gearbox is extremely strong and has huge thick gear wheels inside to take the power of the T5 engines .
Additives of any type are forbidden by volvo . They make the gearbox and choose the oil as to not need anything else .
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 23:43   #10
iantowil

Thanks for the replies gents. I don't have any big issues, just abit clunky on a cold morning, but nice and smooth on a summer afternoon so thought about a possible additive as I've had an improvements on a few cars in the past - 2.8 Capri, 2.5 Cougar, 1.1 Fiesta ;-)

I'm no big gearbox expert, so thought I'd ask. If I had an automatic I wouldn't think about adding a thing - the term "sludge pump" comes to mind so don't mess with the sludge as its pretty important - or at least that's my simple logic. I think a manual box should be less finnicky though - that said I'm also very cautious and after the answers here will probably not do anything. Interesting you mention the modification Clan - and its reason is to ease the very thing I notice when cold.

On the point of using only Volvo recommended lubricants - I understand that Volvo will have done some testing if not alot of testing but mistakes have been made in the past. Engine oils have broken down under high shear and failures have resulted. I did love the post on DPFs where "the doc" asked the Castrol technical support could he use diesel to top up his engine oil and the tech guy laughed at him - don't hink he laughed when he new the full story on DPFs. Can you imagine Volvos reaction to your warranty if you said you tipped a litre of diesel in your engine oil? I guess the point is they're good, but not infallable. However, thanks for your replies, points taken on board - no molyslip anytime soon ;-)