Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LiDAR in SPA2

Views : 1887

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2020, 23:37   #1
WhatNext?

Default LiDAR in SPA2

Predicted in XC90 in 2023 cars
Old May 7th, 2020, 09:30   #2
jonnyu

A bit disappointed.
With their partnership with Nvidia, I thought they would go a bit further this time. Basically we will have the same autonomous driving capacity as current Tesla models have for the last few years.
It's still a great step forward but others will arrive there first.
Old May 7th, 2020, 18:59   #3
WhatNext?

Tesla does not use LiDAR
Old May 7th, 2020, 19:29   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

If you watch some of the Tesla Autopilot videos on YouTube, even with the very latest software, it's obvious that the more advanced features haven't been optimised for UK roads and require so much manual intervention to avoid accidents that even the Tesla fanboys are saying it's just not worth the £5,800 it costs for the so-called self-driving option.

In practice, it looks to me like the basic Tesla system really isn't much better than Volvo's and, as far as I know, Pilot Assist hasn't killed anyone, unlike Autopilot.
Old May 8th, 2020, 09:59   #5
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatNext? View Post
Tesla does not use LiDAR
Tesla also has autonomous driving capabilities since 2014 although they don't use LiDAR.
See here: https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

There are dozens of companies that are exploring autonomous driving. Autonomous driving include a mix of technologies but the most important are the ones used for information processing and object measuring / visual rendering.
LiDAR is used for object measuring and visual rendering.

What is interesting is that the leading technologies on this subject will dependent on connectivity to a AI network to be 100% efficient. There are other examples like voice recognition, graphics optimizations (like the DLSS 2.0 feature in Nvidia graphic cards) and for me it's no surprise that autonomous driving will use the same. If not connected it will work as well but they will be far more efficient if they are connected to a AI network.
Old May 11th, 2020, 16:32   #6
taylora

Having driven both back to back almost, the regular Tesla Autopliot (not the full self drive) is pretty much similar functionality as Volvo's pilot assist. I'd say Volvo's is slightly easier to use as you don't have to re-engage it after you indicate to change lane. On the other hand Tesla give you an audible warning when steering assistance is removed which Volvo could do with.

Where Tesla makes the difference is over the air updates as they roll out software improvements. Likewise Volvo update theirs but you have to wait for an annual service to get it - and sometimes have to pay for any safety updates, which you don't with Tesla.
Old May 11th, 2020, 20:00   #7
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Where Tesla makes the difference is over the air updates as they roll out software improvements. Likewise Volvo update theirs but you have to wait for an annual service to get it - and sometimes have to pay for any safety updates, which you don't with Tesla.
SPA2 will introduce full OTA updates
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 11:14   #8
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Having driven both back to back almost, the regular Tesla Autopliot (not the full self drive) is pretty much similar functionality as Volvo's pilot assist. I'd say Volvo's is slightly easier to use as you don't have to re-engage it after you indicate to change lane. On the other hand Tesla give you an audible warning when steering assistance is removed which Volvo could do with.

You do get an audible warning when Pilot Assist is about to be disengaged but I'm not sure it deploys in every circumstance so probably some improvement needed there.
Old May 12th, 2020, 15:20   #9
morgano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodini View Post
SPA2 will introduce full OTA updates
Yeah BS, maybe for minor updates but I don’t think many of the car manufacturers will be doing major OTA updates. Far too much money to lose not forcing customers to get a service for an update.

I was told OTA updates were coming soon when I bought my s90, that was 2 years ago and Volvo do no OTA system updates other than apps. Useless, unlikely to get another Volvo or car without OTA.
morgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 20:21   #10
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgano View Post
Yeah BS, maybe for minor updates but I don’t think many of the car manufacturers will be doing major OTA updates. Far too much money to lose not forcing customers to get a service for an update.

I was told OTA updates were coming soon when I bought my s90, that was 2 years ago and Volvo do no OTA system updates other than apps. Useless, unlikely to get another Volvo or car without OTA.
They're definitely going to have OTA updates for all software in the car including the possibility to deploy new functionality (where the hardware supports it of course).

How do I know this? I'm an engineer, and look at where I live.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoodini For This Useful Post: