Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shabby main dealer cars

Views : 3420

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 13:52   #11
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
That's a lovely paint job.
Thanks.
Due to a gazillion micro-stonechips that would fill with wax residue and actually appear more noticeable, I had the bonnet and bumper fully stripped and resprayed. The rest of the panels are pretty nice save the odd mark which I'll touch in, wet sand and machine polish.
I just need a good PDR guy now to take care of 3 or 4 tiny dents and a solution to the woefully grey roofline trim. I'm thinking of dyeing it as it seems impervious to all of my products....not tried Peanut Butter yet though....
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 14:05   #12
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60RDesign View Post
I'm wondering now whether to keep the Volvo and buy a cheaper fun second car instead
That's what I'd do.

Not sure how many use Facebook Marketplace on here, but that is becoming one of the more interesting ways to find a cheap car.

Don't expect any courtesy or good conversation on here though....its bottom of the ladder motoring but I quite enjoy it!

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 16:42   #13
S60RDesign

I think a second car would provide the fun and novelty factor but I’d still have the solid Volvo for long distance trips and transporting the mountain bike etc. I found a local company who’ll refurb the diamond cut wheels for £280 so the Volvo will have a new lease of life. It’s only going to get between £4-4500 trade in so it’s a hell of a lot of car to lose for that.

I tried a Mini Coupe Cooper S today, a lot of fun and in pretty good order but missing services so will leave that one. If I find the right one could provide that B road fun, if I can find a decent dealer!
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 16:54   #14
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
It isn't just the dealers standards that have fallen, but the expectations of joe public are way off the bottom end of the scale. Apart from a few oddballs that frequent car forums and take a pride in having a clean well maintained car very few folks take any more interest in a car than they do in a washing machine.

I am old enough to remember when car ownership was something to be aspired to and it was a Sunday morning ritual to wash and polish and carry out basic servicing and checks. Nowadays with PCP and service contracts very few know how to open the bonnet and have no desire to find out.
Hey! I resemble that remark

Well put though Sir, sadly it's more about "has it got Apple Car Play" than "can I see the service history please"
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 17:27   #15
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I am old enough to remember when car ownership was something to be aspired to and it was a Sunday morning ritual to wash and polish and carry out basic servicing and checks.
That’s how I remember the 1970’s/80’s. I was my own motor etc but sadly due to it being a modern bus I have to rely on Volvo to fix it. However, it’s checked on a weekly basis. The cost of motors these days? Damn right I’m gunna look after it

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 07:45   #16
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
The cost of motors these days?
Picking up on this; cars are SO expensive now aren't they. Just the other day we were queuing outside a car dealership and I said to my Mrs "blimey look at that - that Fiesta is £16,000.00"

Been watching those car factory build vids on YouTube recently and the amount of plant and equipment they have is staggering! the 'operatives' aren't allowed to lift anything themselves so there's a piece of kit for every task - are WE paying for all this development? or are cars expensive because we demand all the techy stuff and infotainment gubbins?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 20:02   #17
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Picking up on this; cars are SO expensive now aren't they. Just the other day we were queuing outside a car dealership and I said to my Mrs "blimey look at that - that Fiesta is £16,000.00"

Been watching those car factory build vids on YouTube recently and the amount of plant and equipment they have is staggering! the 'operatives' aren't allowed to lift anything themselves so there's a piece of kit for every task - are WE paying for all this development? or are cars expensive because we demand all the techy stuff and infotainment gubbins?
Indeed..... not quite the tin boxes that they used to be. Like somebody once said on here, we leave out in freezing temperatures, wet weather, extreme heat etc and expect them to start plus last at least ten years. Now we expect them to be full of creature comforts plus be entertainment centres etc etc and keep us safe in an accident. I think people take for granted how good modern cars really are. There was a time when mirrors, radio and a heater were optional extras.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 22:40   #18
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Indeed..... not quite the tin boxes that they used to be. Like somebody once said on here, we leave out in freezing temperatures, wet weather, extreme heat etc and expect them to start plus last at least ten years. Now we expect them to be full of creature comforts plus be entertainment centres etc etc and keep us safe in an accident. I think people take for granted how good modern cars really are. There was a time when mirrors, radio and a heater were optional extras.
On my first car, a 14 year old A30 I fitted a number of extras the first was a heater, then screen washers and a switched starter solenoid.

How the previous owners had managed without the heater fon14 years I will never know. Must have been very hardy in those days
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 22:54   #19
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
On my first car, a 14 year old A30 I fitted a number of extras the first was a heater, then screen washers and a switched starter solenoid.

How the previous owners had managed without the heater fon14 years I will never know. Must have been very hardy in those days
As well as a switch operated reversing lamp clamped anywhere convenient and heated rear window kits which glued to the rear window! And of course not forgetting the ubiquitous Vinyl Roof kits. Whitewall tyres anyone?

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 06:50   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
As well as a switch operated reversing lamp clamped anywhere convenient and heated rear window kits which glued to the rear window! And of course not forgetting the ubiquitous Vinyl Roof kits. Whitewall tyres anyone?
You missed out the furry seat covers and the Esso tiger tail hanging off the interior mirror.😀
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: