Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vodafone 100GB SIM not working

Views : 24123

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 09:46   #121
Fortune7
VOC Member

Yes, Vodafone P-sim problems here too - in exactly the way you describe. New car collected on 4 March; the dealer asked me to 'complete' the vodafone registration at home as their mobile signal is poor. I got connected once to the Vodafone site and tried registering as a new user and got an error message (e.g. 'this service not available at the moment) with a number to call. This got me to 'front office' for the Internetinthecar product. They were responsive, but not entirely helpful, referring the issue to the second-tier (tech) support. That was 4 days ago and despite 2 follow-up calls on my part, I'm left waiting for them to respond. Same as you - Car Modem Internet works fine (Globe indicator) but it's a problem with Vodafone. In my last XC90 I just bought and used the 'Three' 12 or 24Gb data sims without fuss: insert-use-discard-repeat.

I've emailed my dealer (Waylands Oxford) and they're very helpful and always quick to respond. They suggest I get them to try the process next week. In the meantime I'll keep trying; others in this thread have achieved success by repeated attempts so it just seems the Vodafone system is flaky and their Customer Service / backup is poor.

It's a shame to tarnish the purchase-feeling of an otherwise great car. My dealer says they have / are dealing with several similar complaints. Volvo UK should understand how this is affecting customer perception. OK, it's probably considered a minor aspect of the 'package' but for some of us who want to use the car's modem (and other data-sim products are effortlessly successful but not 'free'), it's still disappointing at best.

Good luck with yours - I'll update if/when I get success!

Cheers, Andy
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 14:57   #122
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Hi,

As has been mentioned already we do seem to had some issues with getting the SIMs working in some instances - if you have followed the instructions to the letter and are still having issues then you are best off taking it up with Vodafone as it may be the issue is at their end - if they aren't able to help then its probably best to get it booked in with your local dealer for them to take a look at as it may be an issue with the module in the car which controls this side of things.....

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but without having the cars in front of me its a little tricky to see exactly what is/isn't working.....

Kind Regards

Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 15:52   #123
key76

My dealer failed to install (or even tell me about) the SIM when I collected.

They installed when I revisited and did the dealer part and provided me full printed instructions (including the dealer instructions in case I needed them again).

Got it to work, and get the globe (as I do when using phone for data), but signal strength seems terrible most of the time for the Vodafone connection. As a result I can't seem to get it to hold a strong signal long enough to do the registration with Vodafone to link it to me. However do I really need to do that? Because when it does have signal, the globe appears and it does show traffic info.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 17:25   #124
Driver Dave

The Vodaphone sim causes more problems than it's worth. Why does it need to be so complicated? It is only a data sim so could be just plug and play, except, I guess, Vodaphone want our personal data. I have an MY17 XC90 and have always used a data sim from 3 .

In Dec 19 we also got a MY20 XC40 which came with the Vodaphone sim, the salesman and myself spent 2 hours trying to set it up, including getting the registration completed, in an area with a good Vodaphone signal. We did manage to get it working once, for about 5 minutes but then went off and we could not get an internet connection again.

I have given up on it and got a 3 data sim, put it in the carrier and it worked straight away and has never faltered.

With the amount of time that is having to be spent by Volvo sales staff and Vodafone staff, some of who are less than helpful, and the lack of response from the Vodaphone (no)"internetinthecar" team it is not worth spending the time and effort on it.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 17:48   #125
key76

I bought a Three SIM last year ready for car to arrive - then my car was delayed and Vodafone SIM was announced, so I decided to use that as it was free.

I do however still have the Three SIM, so I might just fit that instead.

Is there actually any benefit to using a SIM vs using phone data? I have my phone paired on bluetooth, and 100GB per month data on my contract, and with car set t use bluetooth data it connects almost instantly to data when I get in car. What benefit (if any) would I gain using the SIM?
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 19:03   #126
Traxworks

Hi Marc,

My dealer is sending me a replacement Vodafone P-Sim, does this need to be registered to the car before I attempt to use it?

Cheers

Andy
Traxworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 20:15   #127
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxworks View Post
Hi Marc,

My dealer is sending me a replacement Vodafone P-Sim, does this need to be registered to the car before I attempt to use it?

Cheers

Andy

It is registered to the car by putting it into the sim card holder and physically putting it in the car, there is no pre-registration required before hand....

Kind regards
Marc

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 09:33   #128
Traxworks

Thanks Marc, I was a bit worried as the first page of the P-Sim- Retailer Process states -
NB: once the SIM has been inserted into the vehicle, this SIM is then allocated to this vehicle digitally. Therefore, you must only insert a SIM into one vehicle once. If subsequent SIMs are put in the same vehicle, they will be cancelled.

Andy
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 09:37   #129
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxworks View Post
Thanks Marc, I was a bit worried as the first page of the P-Sim- Retailer Process states -
NB: once the SIM has been inserted into the vehicle, this SIM is then allocated to this vehicle digitally. Therefore, you must only insert a SIM into one vehicle once. If subsequent SIMs are put in the same vehicle, they will be cancelled.

Andy
Hi,

It does read as if its going to cancel them actually doesn't it..... my mistake!

There is no reason that the first SIM shouldn't work to be honest so is probably best to persevere with the original SIM and try and get that working as putting a 2nd SIM into the car would possibly cause more issues than it solves.....

You should be able to go into any Volvo Dealer and have them guide you through the setup....

Kind Regards

Marc

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 14:11   #130
Traxworks

The car is already setup and working well with a T-Mobile data sim (including RTTI), I've now been passed to 2nd line support at Vodafone to try and get their Sim going.

Andy