Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7576

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2019, 00:29   #21
atco

Default fuel pump

thanks for that dave
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atco For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:11   #22
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

At first:
You must give more informations.
Nobody will help you seriously with this little infos:
Again :
-Year of the car
-type of engine (post a pic if you are not shure)
-if really a B230E ( with CIS/K-jetronic)( everything down if YES!), block mounted distributor or head mounted one? In both cases there will be no CPS! This engines are with a hall sensor system inside the dizzy.
-did it run every since you own this?
-last time in this century? This decade?
-does the car have spark?
-does the engine run with start helper/brake cleaner spray (maybe it was a "yes" a few posts ago, maybe I did understand wrong)
If yes: the car has spark and all parts of the ignition are irrelevant now.
Did you buy the right pump? There is a difference between the LG2.2/2.4 and the K-jetronic fuel pump. This engine won't run with the wrong pump.
The fuel pump won't pre run on ignition!
If the right pump: wire the pump directly or build a bridge at the socket of the relay ( even here : difference between the LH and the K-jetronic relay!)
If the engine will run now it will be easy to find the fault.

Please please please: learn to post more informations. You will waste our time otherwise. You can't give too much infos of the related car. ( ok ok, colours inside and outside we won't need, neither stereo infos; -) )

Good luck, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; May 22nd, 2019 at 12:13. Reason: Not my natural language
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:20   #23
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

http://www1.garaget.org/archive/5043...349-423942.jpg

This is a B230E with EGR and head mounted dizzy inside a 740 engine bay
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:21   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good points Kay - i only know from previous experience of helping this member out, it's a head mounted dizzy, B230E, 1988.

FYI, the correct fuel pump relay for the car will give a 1-2 second burst of the pumps to prime the system - even Bosch electronic injection systems should do the same, in common with most other electronic systems. Many German cars now prime the pumps when unlocked from the remote fob.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:17   #25
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

IIRC the K-jet won't prime. The LH2.2 won't fore shure 100%.

long time ago I did work on the best 4-banger engine Volvo sold ever, the B230E.

Thank you Dave about the infos of the car, the owner should post this nevertheless.
This counts for every question at every problem anyone will have here.

"Car won't start, Please help. URGENT!! " I've seen this several times.......

have a good time, Kay
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:58   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
IIRC the K-jet won't prime. The LH2.2 won't fore shure 100%.

long time ago I did work on the best 4-banger engine Volvo sold ever, the B230E.

Thank you Dave about the infos of the car, the owner should post this nevertheless.
This counts for every question at every problem anyone will have here.

"Car won't start, Please help. URGENT!! " I've seen this several times.......

have a good time, Kay
All the 740GLEs i've had (B230E K-Jet) have always primed, i remember this as on at least one the fuel gauge rarely if ever worked and i ran out a couple of times. Turning the key from ) to 2 several times waiting a couple of seconds on 2 before back to 0 soon got the fuel through.

Fairly sure the LH2.2 on my current 760 (B280E) did when i first got it, now doesn't.
Going to fit a non-return valve on the outlet of the in-tank pimp to hold the pressure in the line overnight, or at least hope it will. If that doesn't work, i'll add a primer circuit to run the pumps for a second or two when i unlock the car or similar.

Meanwhile i have to "flick" the starter with the key, the pumps then run for 1-2s and then turn the key to start/position 3 again and it fires - instantly.

Just lucky i remembered the info on the car i suppose, it's amazing how many different variants there are of each model, not just Volvo but Rover, Honda and i'm sure many others that all have different things on apparently similar models.

Then you find the same component is used across a variety of vehicles, for example the CPS also is used by some Bentley models, Kia and about 6 others that i can't think of at the moment.

Front ABS sensors are used on 1989-on Vauxhall/Opel Astra/Kadett, Cavalier/Vectra on the front and also on the back of all Rover 800s with ABS - different connector plugs but the plugs are the cheap, less technical bits!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 22nd, 2019, 17:07   #27
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post

Thank you. I've not had any B200 or 230E engine but I have suspected it would be a good choice especially the 230. If I ever change the car I will consider that engine if there is a choice available for me.

I think you said there are two distributor positions. Is there any benefit to choose where the distributor is best mounted please?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; May 22nd, 2019 at 17:23. Reason: ....bad spell.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 23:05   #28
atco

Default fuel pump

sorry but now im realy confused.im looking for a cps on the car today and your telling me this car has not got one.and ive got the wrong pump on it.havent got a clue what lh2.2 is .yes this car did run very smoothley last year but whent to start the car and the back box on the exhaust blew out and it started idling very badly after. so i changed the box and the plugs ht leads dizzy and rotor arm because it was very lumpy on starting but still not starting so i changed the fuel relay and pump but no start.got a machanic to look at the car and he used easy start on the air cleaner pipe and would fire but not start so he said there is no fuel getting thro to the engine.so change the fuel relay again to which i did but no start i checked the fuel pump under the car on taking it of but there was no power in the pump.so i said can it be the the fuel feed coming from the fuel tank but no deffinet answer.so ive just got a new german make fuel pump put on but still not working.the engine want start down the air cleaning pipe but sounds as tho it wants to start/ill check if its the right pump tomorow .thanks
Old May 22nd, 2019, 23:12   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have you checked your cam timing?

Old May 22nd, 2019, 23:17   #30
atco

Default fuel pump

fuel pump is from a.t.p its a Q1 part.number30883647 if that helps.thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to atco For This Useful Post: