Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 V40 cranks but no start after battery change

Views : 1180

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2020, 03:04   #1
monikadivers

Default 2014 V40 cranks but no start after battery change

Hi,

I had a low battery in my 2014 V40. It kept showing low battery symbol and then sometime the immobilzer would kick in.
The day I planned to go get a new battery the car would not start. It would try and start but wouldn't. no splutter etc.
I have now put a new battery in the car myself but it still will not start. Same issue, cranks but won't fire.
Is there something I'm missing? reset immobiliser? or some fancy unlock sequence? help

Monika
monikadivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 14:01   #2
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
My first thought is that something is draining the battery flat. It may be possible that the battery itself was failing. Did you have it tested ?
These Volvos put out all kinds of weird messages and do strange things when
the battery voltage runs low , to a point where the engine simply cuts out.
When a new battery is installed in your car it needs to be programmed to the vehicle software. This is because there is a battery monitoring system and it would need to know the default of the new battery.
I would suggest for now , that you re-instate the original battery if it will take a full charge. Get the fault codes read and try to determine what is causing the battery drain.
It may be that there is an immobilizer fault or a generator fault and it`s not the battery at all. Without a diagnostics test you`re in the dark.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 01:18   #3
monikadivers

Cheers. The car was showing lots of weird messages, mainly low battery and at start it would sometimes say no key or immobilizer active. And yes sometimes the engine would cut off to the point where it is now when the car would turn over but not start or splutter or anything. We had lockdown for COVID so couldn't get to a garage and saw low battery can cause all of these things and that there are issues with the factory batteries not lasting long. So I assumed a bad battery and I have replaced the battery myself. But the car still wont start. Was not sure if it needed to be re programmed
I will try putting the old battery back in and jump starting it. and get it to a garage.
oh well I might have just invested in a new battery for no reason.
Old May 6th, 2020, 04:30   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by monikadivers View Post
Cheers. The car was showing lots of weird messages, mainly low battery and at start it would sometimes say no key or immobilizer active. And yes sometimes the engine would cut off to the point where it is now when the car would turn over but not start or splutter or anything. We had lockdown for COVID so couldn't get to a garage and saw low battery can cause all of these things and that there are issues with the factory batteries not lasting long. So I assumed a bad battery and I have replaced the battery myself. But the car still wont start. Was not sure if it needed to be re programmed
I will try putting the old battery back in and jump starting it. and get it to a garage.
oh well I might have just invested in a new battery for no reason.
Might be worth checking the alternator. These are prone to failure and can then cause the battery to fail.
Worth a check
Don't believe the "programming" is essential. I think it is only a counter to monitor the number of times the battery voltage has been low, so resets this counter. So useful for diagnostics but not needed to allow it to actually work.
Iain

Last edited by IainG; May 6th, 2020 at 04:35.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 03:10   #5
monikadivers

Default problem solved

After trying few things I gave up and gave it to the garage. Multiple fault codes that were preventing the car from starting. Immobilser, fuel sensor etc. The garage cleared all the codes and the car starts.
the garage said that a previous flat battery in the key fob and flat car battery caused all the crazy errors.
The Following User Says Thank You to monikadivers For This Useful Post: