Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG really bad

Views : 527

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:34   #1
colinjy

Default MPG really bad

Hello

just recently bought a V50 a few weeks ago filled it up with 21ltrs of diesel last week and got 210 miles out of that till the light came on with mixxed driving.

After filling up again with 21ltrs im almost at the red marks (1mm off) and have only covered 120 miles again with the same sort of driving. ive seen the tank drop 1/4 of a tank in 90 miles round trip to high wycombe which doesn't seem right.
tyres are all at right level, car has the same load in as last week (i.e. me and my lunch) performance is the same no loss of power.

has any one got any ideas on what would be causing this ?

thanks in advance
colinjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:05   #2
ajaycad
1200 VMax Rider

If my maths is right, travelling 210 miles on 21 litres of fuel is 10 miles per litre which equates to about 45 mpg - about right for a 2.0D (I,m averaging about 51 mpg mixed driving from a 1.6 start/stop)
However, 120 miles for roughly the same amount of fuel isnt right - if there are no signs of a performance loss or change, there could be many reasons why a drastic drop in fuel economy is experienced. It may be a faulty fuel guage or sender unit/associated wiring, a leak etc. Any signs of fuel under the car when parked overnight? or leave the car running for a while, then see if there are any leaks which you will see dripping onto the road under the car. Unless you can find a simple explanation, it may well be a trip to the local garage for diagnosis.

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer?
ajaycad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:58   #3
colinjy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaycad View Post
If my maths is right, travelling 210 miles on 21 litres of fuel is 10 miles per litre which equates to about 45 mpg - about right for a 2.0D (I,m averaging about 51 mpg mixed driving from a 1.6 start/stop)
However, 120 miles for roughly the same amount of fuel isnt right - if there are no signs of a performance loss or change, there could be many reasons why a drastic drop in fuel economy is experienced. It may be a faulty fuel guage or sender unit/associated wiring, a leak etc. Any signs of fuel under the car when parked overnight? or leave the car running for a while, then see if there are any leaks which you will see dripping onto the road under the car. Unless you can find a simple explanation, it may well be a trip to the local garage for diagnosis.

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer?

Car bought privately

i'll have a look over the next day to see if there are any leaks as it's been raining here for the past 2 days it's hard to tell, but there's not smell of fuel which would possibly be another sign.

I dont suppose it could be anything like a bad batch of fuel ?
colinjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 20:32   #4
iandonnadnjess
V.O.C. Member, R-Design

hi im getting about 47 mpg on average in my 2.0 d
iandonnadnjess is offline   Reply With Quote