Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0D Problems starting when warm

Views : 2634

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 13:08   #1
davee1987

Cool 2.0D Problems starting when warm

Good afternoon,

I have a 2.0Diesel 2006 V50 with 80k miles.

Slight problem is that sometimes when I turn off the engine then try to start it again a few minutes later is does not start. It seem as if the engine is just not getting the ignition then it dies quickly

I continue to try starting with failure.. and then leave it for a few minutes before I try again and it starts perfectly fine!

The car always starts perfectly fine whilst cold

Any ideas? or suggestions to what could be causing this?

Appreciations, Dave
davee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 13:46   #2
jigharha

Your key is has an electrical feature and so when you put it in the ignition and the necessary lights turn off in the panel, you should start the car immediately. If you don't the system will assume that you do not want to start the car again or you have forgotten the key in there and will shut it self (the electrical flow). Therefore, if you then try to start the car, it will try to start but since there is already a break in flow of electricity, it will not be able to make a complete start. This why you end up starting the car again and it starts.

I have raised this issue with my dealer and they told me this.
jigharha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 22:19   #3
x DTR x
Premier Member

Doe's it feel like the engine has not fired up properly i:e, will not rev up and car bellows out a plume of smoke? Will most likely be the flap in the throttle body sticking open if that is the case! usually does this when car is hot rather than cold. On second or third attempt at starting, it usually shakes the flap shut again enabling you to start the engine ok!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 19:16   #4
x DTR x
Premier Member

Doe's it feel like the engine has not fired up properly i:e, will not rev up and car bellows out a plume of smoke? Will most likely be the flap in the throttle body sticking shut if that is the case! usually does this when car is hot rather than cold. On second or third attempt at starting, it usually shakes the flap open again enabling you to start the engine ok!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX

Last edited by x DTR x; Oct 4th, 2012 at 19:17. Reason: throttle stuck shut not open!!
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 17:23   #5
albertofrog

Smile

I had a similar problem occur last week although happened on cold starting (V50 2.0D 60k '06) the car went into Mill Volvo in Harrogate who diagnosed a faulty starter motor - however after 24 hours (and with a new starter motor) the issue recurred (i.e. not going to full ignition despite several key turns) - the technician came out to me and after a discussion said that he was sure it was a sticking throttle issue - 24 hours on and so far so good! All sorted under extended warranty
albertofrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting, starting problems, v50 2.0d sport, v50 diesel