Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Model year changes

Views : 1584

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 17:35   #1
sweeney

Hello

Thinking of buying a S40 SE 54 reg. I wonder if anyone knows what changes there were between model year 2004 and 2005. I know they are often minor but sometimes they include significant changes. I think 2006 introduced memory seats.

Secondly is a 54 reg likely to be a 05 model year.

Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 20:01   #2
bircham

There were no changes to the S40 for the 2005 model year-as you say there were changes to the 2006 model year cars including on the SE models powered memory driver's seat. 54 plate cars were registered between 01/09/04 and 01/03/05 so it is either an 04 or 05 car.

I don't know whether it is true or not but my wife's new 55 plate V50 (reg sept 2005, 2006 model year car) feels much better built than her previous 04 (reg July 04) S40. Her S40 rattled and creaked at 10000 miles while her V50 at the same mileage is solid and creak free. I would imagine that the factory in Belgium were getting better at making the cars by Sept 2005!
I also have to say that the power seat is great when swapping between drivers.

Hope this helps,

Jon
bircham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 20:23   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Mine is a S40 SE 1st reg March 2005, and I have to say that thus far, with almost 20,000 on the clock, I don't have any problems with build quality.

Nice to drive, fast, economical, very, very comfortable (I have had major back surgery, so I'm a good tester of car seats!). Mine does not have the powered seat memory, which would be nice, but not exactly anything to reject a car for lack of, if you understand my awful grammar.

Mine's a diesel, ex demonstrator, and I'm verynhappy with the car at present.

Alec
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 20:51   #4
sweeney

Thanks for the info

Moving of topic slightly. I'm looking at a 2.0D and wonder what MPG you get plus what's the audio like and does anyone have the premium system. Is it worth the money.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 22:10   #5
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

MPG Forget what the onboard computer says, hopelessly optomistic!
I got a REAL average of about 45mpg (right mix of town, main roads, motorway and country lanes) before I had the diesel tuning box fitted, and about 46 to 47 mpg now with the box.

I have the standard SE sound system, with the in dash 6 disc CD changer/RDS radio etc. As far as I am concerned, its absolutely fine, not a boom box, but good sound, good radio.

I have had diesels for my last 5 cars, and I love this one. Very smooth and quiet. If you are interested, make sure its had the latest ECU software upgrade, mine has just had it (its a freeby! from Volvo dealers) which is supposed to address a misfire problem that some cars had, but mine never suffered at all.
Alec
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 21:06   #6
littleyellowduck

I would go for the premium sound. My 04 20d SE had it fitted when I bought it. Stick in a cd, crank up the sound, and the singer could be sitting in the rear seat!!!!

It was an 6 month old ex Volvo management car, and I understand they are encouraged to order options when they order their company cars, as it helps sell them.

I only ever buy cars 6 months old or ex demos, as you can normally save 20% on the new price. Downside is that it is hard to find one with the options I would like. Ideally my next car (possibly S40 D5) will have the surround sound and keyless entry (for some reason, not many people select this option, although it is relatively inexpensive)

At the motor show I was told by Volvo that a version of the new C30, on sale Dec/Jan, will have the 2.4D5 engine fitted. Considering the size of the car, it should go like **** off the shovel!!!!......I may be tempted....

That being said, I am so ****ed off at the overcharging of Volvo dealers for routine work, that I may be moving to Skoda next time around!!!
littleyellowduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 21:14   #7
sweeney

Hello

Well I took the plung and bought the S40!. I'd have loved to have a low miles 6mnths old but my budget doesn't stretch to that. It's a 50k 54 2.0D SE with Winter pack, child pack and Premium Sound (which was the reason I bought it!). I love a good stereo and even though there was an identical one with fewer miles it didn't have Premium or Winter.

I've bought it unseen with a £200 refundable deposit. It looks mint and it's Volvo approved so should have a good warranty but is there anything particular I should be looking for. Apart from the usual
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 17:31   #8
sweeney

Hello

Well I pick up the car on Saturday and I'm really looking forward to using the premium sound. i wonder if anyone has any ideas on how I can connect my iPod at a reasonable price and without lots og ugly wires and holders. I've contacted the dealer and amazingly Volvo don't offer an iPod adaptor thing (whatever it's called) to fit to MY 2005 S40.

Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 17:07   #9
Dave P

The premium radio is part of a new "infotainment" system. There is a fiber-optic network that includes the radio. An iPod adapter is required and not yet available - Volvo or third party. You're stuck with an (unacceptable) FM adapter.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 21:15   #10
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

Unhappy

damn, i just bought an 04 s40 t5 sesport and had to do the same. why hasnt someone made a piggy back connector for the volvo system, i really miss my quality sound of my mp3 player, dont listen to anything else on long journeys.

i took the cd out and the center console today and saw the fibre obtic cables, but there was also a green sensor in the cd changer which had 4 cables above the fibre optics.

i will have to do some wiring investigations, the fm transmitter is pants and you loose loads of quality on a system that should enhance your listening
36016v is offline   Reply With Quote