Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 boot light doesn't work

Views : 1158

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2023, 19:11   #1
Acuity30

Default S40 boot light doesn't work

Really confused by this. I went to replace the halogen festoon in the boot, and swapped it for LED, but it doesn't light up. I checked the old festoon and it hadn't even popped. I've tried multiple bulbs now and still nothing so I put my multimeter on the bulb holder terminals and it's not getting any voltage.
AFAIK the same fuse that powers it also powers the fuel level gauge which is working fine, so can't be that. I can't check voltage at the plug (i.e. before the bulb cradle) as the holes in the plug are too small to get my prongs in.

I don't believe this is related to the common boot loom failure because:
The reg plate lights work fine
The 'boot open' warning works fine, is only displayed when the boot is open
The rear lights all work fine
The button on the key to open the boot and the manual boot release button both work fine also

How can I access the main wire for the boot light? It goes up in the fixed parcel shelf and I can't see where it goes after that. I tried removing the top felt/foam off the parcel shelf for a better look but couldn't figure out how to do that either.
Acuity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 21:16   #2
iainmd

Have you checked fuse 86 (5A)? Bottom row, right hand side of the fuse tray in the passenger footwell. It only powers the fuel level sensor on a 2.0 flexi-fuel so unless you've got that very rare model that isn't a factor.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 00:42   #3
Acuity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Have you checked fuse 86 (5A)? Bottom row, right hand side of the fuse tray in the passenger footwell. It only powers the fuel level sensor on a 2.0 flexi-fuel so unless you've got that very rare model that isn't a factor.
I did check that fuse and it was intact
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 15:35   #4
Woody252506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuity30 View Post
Really confused by this. I went to replace the halogen festoon in the boot, and swapped it for LED, but it doesn't light up. I checked the old festoon and it hadn't even popped. I've tried multiple bulbs now and still nothing so I put my multimeter on the bulb holder terminals and it's not getting any voltage.
AFAIK the same fuse that powers it also powers the fuel level gauge which is working fine, so can't be that. I can't check voltage at the plug (i.e. before the bulb cradle) as the holes in the plug are too small to get my prongs in.

I don't believe this is related to the common boot loom failure because:
The reg plate lights work fine
The 'boot open' warning works fine, is only displayed when the boot is open
The rear lights all work fine
The button on the key to open the boot and the manual boot release button both work fine also

How can I access the main wire for the boot light? It goes up in the fixed parcel shelf and I can't see where it goes after that. I tried removing the top felt/foam off the parcel shelf for a better look but couldn't figure out how to do that either.
I've got the same issue with my S40.

I had to replace the boot wiring loom last summer as i couldnt open the boot. I got an OEM loom and that fixed the problem. As with you, all interior lights work fine, so does boot open warning and all reg plate lights work. I havent actually changed the bulb yet but intermittently at times it does work.
Woody252506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 09:21   #5
Acuity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody252506 View Post
I've got the same issue with my S40.

I had to replace the boot wiring loom last summer as i couldnt open the boot. I got an OEM loom and that fixed the problem. As with you, all interior lights work fine, so does boot open warning and all reg plate lights work. I havent actually changed the bulb yet but intermittently at times it does work.
The problem is with the locking mechanism microswitch. I found an earlier forum post about it. It is not serviceable. You will need to take the lock off and unbolt the module from the lock. Luckily it's a Ford part so not expensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362397958...nhf6Q4Jz0E1fKY
The Following User Says Thank You to Acuity30 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 10:34   #6
Woody252506

Quote:
The problem is with the locking mechanism microswitch. I found an earlier forum post about it. It is not serviceable. You will need to take the lock off and unbolt the module from the lock. Luckily it's a Ford part so not expensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362397958...nhf6Q4Jz0E1fKY
Thanks for that.

It's not a major issue for me just a little annoying, especially during the winter when its dark. Maybe i damaged the lock on mine when fixing the wiring loom problem?
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 15:22   #7
Acuity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody252506 View Post
Thanks for that.

It's not a major issue for me just a little annoying, especially during the winter when its dark. Maybe i damaged the lock on mine when fixing the wiring loom problem?
I doubt you damaged it. If it's not the module that's failed it can only be the bulb, contact terminals for the bulb, fuse, or damage to the wiring from the bulb to wherever it goes. Which seems the least likely unless someone has messed around with it in the past
The Following User Says Thank You to Acuity30 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 15:49   #8
Woody252506

Quote:
I doubt you damaged it. If it's not the module that's failed it can only be the bulb, contact terminals for the bulb, fuse, or damage to the wiring from the bulb to wherever it goes. Which seems the least likely unless someone has messed around with it in the past
It must have failed as i have never had any reason to mess about with the module before. Thinking back to when i replaced the boot wiring loom so i could open it again nothing looked untoward and the boot light did work for a while after installing the new loom. It only started working intermittently a few months back and for the past few weeks its not worked at all.

I bought a new bulb today to rule that out, no success. I tried it both ways round too to make sure. New latch for me at some point, can't grumble at £20 really
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 09:36   #9
Acuity30

To update the thread and help anyone reading:

Turns out the latch was not the problem. I assumed it was because a previous thread ID'd that as the failure point. My reg lights/boot release/boot open warning message etc all worked perfectly, except the boot light.
Close to accepting defeat, as a last ditch effort to source the problem I pulled back the boot loom rubber sheath (at the boot lid hinge).
Holy **** what a mess. Someone in the past had literally stripped and twisted bits of wire together and wrapped the whole lot in an entire roll of electrical tape. Only thing is, they completely forgot to connect the boot light wire! It was just hanging there detached.
I'm honestly shocked everything else that loom powers was working flawlessly. I even grabbed and bent the rubber sheath in various directions to see if that could be the cause and it all still worked properly so I assumed it was fine.
I reattached that one wire and low and behind the boot light lit up. For now I'm going to chop out the wires and solder them way before and way after the weak point where it flexes, soldering close to the plug end where it won't be subject to constant flex.
@Woody252506 I think in your case the latch microswitch must be the problem if you replaced the loom recently. I'd love to know who 'repaired' mine, because they did an awful job of it