Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New S40 - wot no footrest!

Views : 2899

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 14:35   #1
TonyM
VOC Member

Default RE: New S40 - wot no footrest!

I couldn't agree more. The footrest seems trivial but if I drive a car without one now I really miss it and it feels very uncomfortable.
I can't imagine why they have left it out.
Our other car is a new MINI and even that has a footrest.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 21:10   #2
antipcperson

No message
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 21:43   #3
antipcperson

No message
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 20:32   #4
sarge
Master Member

Default New S40 - wot no footrest!

Yesterday, while my local stealer was servicing my car, they gave me a new S40 to use. I really liked it but could not believe that it didn't have a footrest for the driver's left foot. And because the handbrake is positioned for left-hand drive vehicles, I found it quite awkward to use. They may not seem like big deals but little things like that would make me think twice about whether I wanted to buy one.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 20:57   #5
Paul_S

Couldn't agree more - I went on a local Volvo test day and made the same comment. And what's the whole idea with that dash? The storage area is behind the 'floating' panel. Sure, thieves need to take a second look to see something you shouldn't have left out in the first place but I wouldn't like to get my sun glasses from it when I'm driving along!

Overall I was quite impressed but that said, I've not driven a brand new version of any rivals to compare...
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 18:55   #6
gelly62

hi. i couldnt agree more.no footrest is a serious omission.i recently bought a v50 2.0d ex demo, having traded in my v70 d5.While i am impressed with the car overall particulaly the handling i miss the old d5 diesel.the v50 2.0d is much rougher and knockier and so far not as economical as the d5 although i only have 6k on the clock.hopefully things will improve.that d5 engine must rate as one of the all time diesel greats!!!
My v50 hasn't been totally reliable as the EGR valve gave up.My car was off the road for a week whilst a new one was sourced.
The v70 in contrast was totally reliable all the time i owned it
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:10   #7
vinny

my phase 1 s40 cd has a plastic footrest to match the carpet colour
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 21:54   #8
RJF

Bought a V50 last week. I agree with the footrest issue but to be honest there isn't that much room in the footwell. Has anyone drove a 3 series BMW? The footwell area is approx the same size as the S40/V50, however the BMW has a footrest. The problem though is that you hit the clutch pedal on the way down to the footrest, and again when you lift off. Given the space available, I prefer no footrest.

There is a definite safety issue with the handbrake though. I agree that it does look awkward but there is no problem in everyday use. However, take a look what's between the driver's left hand and the handbrake. Cup holders !! If these are in use then the handbrake operation isn't just awkward - it's dammed near impossible to apply the hanbdbrake without your arm hitting the cups / bottles or whatever. What do you think is going to happen if you forget about the hot tea or coffee you've just bought, and you reach for the handbrake? I'm currently awaiting reply from Volvo regarding this issue. It's likely that due to design constraints, there was no room available to re-locate the handbrake for right-hand drive vehicles. But I wonder if their designers considered the implications of locating cupholders between the driver and the handbrake? For a company who pride themselves on safety...
I'll post any response I receive from Volvo regarding this issue.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 22:41   #9
vinny

I have driven my son's 3 series BMW and I have'nt had any trouble at all with the footrest.
I must point out that I take a size 11 eee fitting so it's not the size of the feet.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:28   #10
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: New S40 - wot no footrest!

mornin

tried to remove the foot rest from my 3 series, but if memory is correct it was more of a cover over a blimp in the bulkhead, so removing it would still leave the lump, if that makes sense.

GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote