Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres

Views : 2478

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 18:43   #1
WebAdmin

Got an email from a UK company who are keen to get involved with the club. They sell tyres on line etc:

www.blackcircles.com

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Isaac
bob@volvoclub.org.uk
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:13   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: Tyres

bob

these look expensive mate

blackcircle.com avon zz1 205 50 16 ZR £119.10

mytyres.net avon zz3 205 50 16 ZR £78.60

as the ZZ3 is the replacement for the ZZ1 i think blackcircle
need to double check the market place, even if they were going to give discounts to club members they are still way over priced

just my input

cheers

scott

GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:12   #3
Mike Clift

Scott

you're doing well to get that far!

Even with it put into the firewall I cannot get past first page!

Not sure that buying tyres by post is a good idea anyway and popping up to Edinburgh is a bit of a long way to go - especially if the tyres cost more!

Mike
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 14:15   #4
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

mike

your not missing much, if i go by mobile fitting i get a different range of tyres to a drive in fitting and by model/make i dont get any.

and at least if you have your local garage fit them you know who to moan at of they fail :)

and credit card numbers over the internet, still dont like that idea !!

later

scott

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 14:37   #5
TJMurphy
VOC Member

I've used them - picked them up on an affiliate link from www.pistonheads.com.

I felt the prices were good - certainly undercut my Volvo dealer. Went for 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45/17 ZR at £255 (all in).

You order the tyres, they check if they have a local dealer (local to you), tyres get sent there and you turn up and pay a fitting fee to the local dealer. I ordered on a Wednesday evening, tyres were there ready for Saturday.

There is also a mobile fitting option but I didn't look into that.
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:35   #6
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

The price on the Pilot Sports looks reasonable - I paid £550 for 4 215/45 17s from Selecta Tyres nearly 10 months ago; however I didn't see this size on their site, though (as above) I know Michelin make them!

This is the problem with on-line purchase; if you want something that's "out of the box" it's very hard to get it.

The other point about local suppliers is that if they're good you get a proper relationship with them; they know your car and can spot or correct problems.

I admit I'm anal about tyres and tracking, especially at the prices of decent rubber so I'm a regular visitor.

Whoever puts your rubber on, remember that regular track checks will maximise its life and rebalancing will (at a price) maximise your driving pleasure.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:42   #7
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

simon

the pzeroes on the V40 2.0T are down to 3-4mm at the front, and 7mm at the rear, getting them swapped over tommorrow, would have done it myself if it wasnt for those pesky wheel nuts x(

o.k. the lead right foot has probably got something to do with it
and the 10k they have coverd, what sort of milage/wear have you got on the Michelins

should this be a different thread !!!!!!!!!!!!

later

scott
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:12   #8
Squirty

If it's Pirelli's you're after try Central Tyres (if there is one near you) as they have a buy on get on half price on all pirelli tyres.

Cheers,

Adam

'94 850 T5
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 19:37   #9
Dave_G

I've used www.mytyres.net and found them to be excellent. They sent me plenty of e-mails to keep me fully informaed of what was happening. The prices were excellent and the tyres turned up earlier than they predicted. Got them fitted at my local tyre depot who couldn't come close to their prices but were also recommended by the site for fitting. Good all round service and I would use them again.

Dave
Old Nov 1st, 2002, 23:27   #10
johngibb

That seems expensive.

Not the same tyre mind you but I picked up 4 x Goodyear Eagle Touring NTC-5's (NCT-3's are no longer available) for £320 inclusive of VAT and fitting for my T4 about 5 months ago from Motorsport Wheels.

http://www.mswuk.com/

They're national with a few fitting places around the country.

I know the bloke I used to work with couldn't get tyres for his Porsche 911 any cheaper either.