Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats the difference?????

Views : 1023

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:23   #1
walms

Hi all,
I'm new to the world of Volvo's. But After buying my 1998 V70 R AWD last month I think that I may well be living on the Volvo planet for a few years to come!
So I may jumped in at the deep end buying this car and not really driving much of the Volvo series but could somebody please explain to me:
What is the difference between a T5 and R AWD (or just R I know about the All Wheel Drive)????

Thanks guys
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:30   #2
Al115
Premier Member

Default RE: Whats the difference?????

Difference between FWD and AWD: an awful lot of money spent by owners on keeping tyres within tolerance!

Differences between T5 and R: not a heap. Marginally bigger turbo on "R", different interior spec, plus I think all Rs came with the lowered suspension setup from the factory. I'm sure some R owners will add to this?

Alastair
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:35   #3
sarge
Master Member

"Difference between FWD and AWD: an awful lot of money spent by owners on keeping tyres within tolerance!" So far my AWD hasn't really cost me any more in tyres than a FWD would. My AWD tyres wear at much the same rate because the front ones last longer on the AWD.

R has it's own front bumper/spoiler and AWD models came with both front and rear mudflaps as standard. Both R AWD and non R AWD have a different rear bumper from FWD models, which allows for easier fitment of twin exhaust pipes. The Rs also had some unique colours, notably laser blue and saffron gold, and also their own alloys, which could be had as either 16 or 17 inch. Otherwise I think externally the Rs were much the same as other models. Interior spec. included: chrome sill covers as standard; leather/alcantra upholstery and leather trimmed door panels; electric seats with 3 memory positions as standard; blue-faced instruments and aluminium dash and centre console trim; 3-disc front loading CD/radio/cassette with auxillary 50 watt amp.; A/C, climate control and electric sunroof; and floor mats with an embossed 'R'. No doubt I've missed something but I'm sure others will highlight additional differences, particulalry with regard to the mechanics.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 21:39   #4
doorman

Hi Justin
Welcome to the exclusive world of The 'R' AWD. A very young age to be the owner of this desirable mark. Out of interest, just how much are you paying in excess of £372, which is the premium I pay on my beloved V70 'R' AWD. Mind you, I do have 37+ years on you, but still drive it like a 22 year old.
What colour is yours, and what area are you.
Regards
Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:43   #5
Matt_Watkins

Im 24 and pay just over £830fc with 5yrs NC bonus.

The last of the "Classic" R AWD's came with a 2.4 265bhp engine where as the T5 had a 2.3 240bhp engine and the manual R had a 2.3 250bhp engine. All the later R AWD's came with the adaptive automatic gearbox. Believe it or not, but a T5 is quicker 0-60 than the R AWD.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:55   #6
sarge
Master Member

In fact, the original V70 R AWD automatics had a 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds, the same as the FWD V70 2.4T, and only slightly faster than the non R AWD manual, which had a 0-60 of 8.5 seconds. FWD Rs and AWD manual Rs were faster.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 13:11   #7
Muscas
Master Member

The 265BHP Phase III V70 R AWD has a 0-62 time of 7.4 seconds.
I have chipped mine to 300+ BHP and done "off the line trials" with a Subaru Impreza WRX (Standard 218BHP) and just about beat it.
The Impreza has a 0-62 time of 5.9 seconds!!

Regards

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 16:43   #8
Muscas
Master Member

A little history for you:

It is my understanding that the V70 R AWD was released in 1997 and the primary
colour for this car was Saffron (Gold). This car was available in 240BHP Auto
or 250BHP Manual.

Early 1999 the Phase II was released, now employing Laser Blue as its primary
colour, however the same engine choices were available.
Newer style roof rails, old ones were the same as Volvo 855. "R" Logo Alloy
wheels were used for the first time. Some minor changes were made to the AWD
system to improve reliability. Also the side air bags were revised around this time.
S70R and V70R were discontinued at this point.
Late 1999 the Phase III was released differing in many ways from the previous
phases. This benefitted from a number of features as seen in the current V70
i.e. Engine/Gearbox.

SC 901 3xCD/Radio/Cassette as opposed to SC900 in previous models
Dual Exhaust system
Rear vented Disk Brakes
Brake force distribution
Slightly larger engine capacity ((2435cc)previous T5/R 2319cc)
Variable exhaust valve timing
Larger Mitsubishi Turbo unit 19T and revised ECU (265BHP output)
5 speed adaptive Automatic gear box
Electronic throttle (Fly by wire technology)
WHIPS-Whip Lash Protection System

Hope this helps.

Regards

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 16:50   #9
walms

Thanks for all the help guys,
I'm in the Army so i don't get to go online much! so sorry for the delay. My insurance is £1200 Fully Comp!!! With 1 years no claims. I could only find 1 company that would insure me, everyone else said that they wouldn't insure me until i was 25! I'm based up in North Yorkshire at the moment but I live (normally) down in Dorset. Its a Saffron Gold, with 17" Comet Graphite Alloys, 215/45/17Z Goodyear Eagle F1's. So it sticks to the road well. I've just had it kitted out with a phone kit, sat nav and radar detector. It's just so comfortable to drive, with a lot of power under your foot. Still to do a speed test against my dads Ford Sierra Estate 2.9 4x4.

Does anyone else notice with the twin exaust that one side will smoke more than the other, mines the off-side even though the main tube (Technical term) comes down the near side?

Once again thanks for all the help.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 13:10   #10
eddie69
Eddie69

Default RE: So Thats the difference!!!!!!

I remember those days being young in the army, i was a bmw fan then and remember the insurance premiums, would never change from volvo now though, there was a volvo similar to yours on ebay a few weeks ago you didnt get that one did you, as i fancied it but a tag to expensive,

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote