Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 807758

Replies : 1192

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2018, 00:28   #1091
prjames

Cool Michelin CrossClimate

Just had some Michelin CrossClimates put on the front of my 2009 XC90 via Blackcircles.com.

Immediate improvement in feel and general handling on and off road.
Much quieter than previous cheap tyres.

Just need some more snow now to test and to see how long they last.

Look promising.
prjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:49   #1092
Moose Test
Master Member

Default Rainsport 3 or Dunlop Maxx

Hello all,

I've been fortunate enough to grab an eBay bargain and now have four new Volvo original wheels for my 2007 XC90 V8 Sport. I can now for the first time consider running dedicated summer and winter tyres. Tyre size is 255/50 R19.

For summer I am considering Uniroyal RainSport 3, or possibly Dunlop's SP QuattroMaxx or Sport Maxx RT2. I really don't have any call to off road, nor venture into muddy fields, and if I do, it would be in the latter part of year when I'll have other tyres on. These are aimed squarely at tarmac / concrete.

In the Rainsport's favour, I think that the softer compounding and increased side wall flex might balance out the slightly harsh ride of the sport suspension setup, which is a bit noticeable on the pot-holed A and B roads of East Anglia. That said, the sport corners nearly as well as my Smart Roadster (which drives like it's on rails, and is also shod in RainSport) without any of the prominent wallowing of my D5 XC90 SE and I really wouldn't want to lose that. I probably only cover 6-7k miles per year in this vehicle, so with a winter set on for half the year, I'm not too concerned about wear rate. I still think that I should get 2-3 years out of them, by which time they are getting old anyway. And they are, frankly, cheap by comparison to Pirelli, Conti etc.

For the Dunlop, I know nothing about these and can't seem to find that much online. The tyre label suggests wet weather performance equal to that of the RS3 but with significantly reduced road noise (which I like the sound of, or more to the point, don't).

Does anyone have any experience with either on the XC90? Are the RS3's just that little bit too soft for a heavy, fast SUV?

TIA.

Last edited by Moose Test; May 11th, 2018 at 12:52.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:04   #1093
AidanC

I’ve no experience of the RS3s on an XC90 but did run them on a Subaru Legacy. The sidewalls were so soft that under hard cornering where there was a lot of weight in the NSR wheel, the tyre would flex so much it would feel like it was folding over on itself. More worryingly, I suffered three sidewall failures from pothole impacts where the sidewall got pinched and holed on impact. I’ve never had the same issues with any other premium branded tyre. I’m not sure how much of that would translate to the XC90 but I’d be wary of them on any car that’d require a strong sidewall

Last edited by AidanC; May 15th, 2018 at 23:06.
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:38   #1094
Moose Test
Master Member

Thanks Aidan, appreciate your reply.

For better or worse, I've already committed to a set and they'll be fitted later today. I do have my concerns about the softness, hence the question but I don't mind a bit of experimentation at this price point. I'd hoped a bit more flex would help with the vast number of potholes on the roads around where I live but maybe this isn't such a good thing after all. I'll retain the old Maxxis tyres for a while, just in case it proves to be a disaster.

I'll post an update once I've covered a few miles on them.

BTW - Amazon 131? Nice car. My neighbour has owned one for the past 30+ years and it's a thing of beauty. It's still his daily drive.
Old May 16th, 2018, 21:29   #1095
AidanC

It’s worth a go - everyone’s needs and expectations are different and a particular tyre will suit some cars more than others.

It might be my imagination, but it seemed to me that the Rainsports were happiest on the Subaru at slightly higher pressures so it might be worth experimenting with the standard and eco tyre pressures to see what works best for you.

My Amazon is for sunny days only but as a car they’re well capable of keeping up in modern conditions. Your neighbour has the right idea!
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 16:39   #1096
Moose Test
Master Member

Very early days yet, with only about 20 miles on them (50% Fast A : 50% winding B road) but here are my first impressions of the RainSport3 SUVs on my '07 Sport:

Positive: Some of the harshness of the ride quality has definitely gone, particularly higher frequency vibration and 'crashiness' over bumps and potholes.

Negative: A slight loss in the sensation of precision when steering, combined with a noticeable increase in required steering force.

Also, it may be too soon to say for sure but I am also pretty certain that the very noticeable high pitched whine/drone that used to cut in at 50mph and above (and which my local dealer attributed to a failing rear final drive) isn't there now.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 14:43   #1097
xc90d5185km

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjames View Post
Just had some Michelin CrossClimates put on the front of my 2009 XC90 via Blackcircles.com.

Immediate improvement in feel and general handling on and off road.
Much quieter than previous cheap tyres.

Just need some more snow now to test and to see how long they last.

Look promising.
Yes just done the same, fitted crossclimates all round. I bought my car with winters so obviously the ride is now smoother and quieter. Will see how long they last and most importantly what they will be like in winter!
xc90d5185km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 07:44   #1098
WirralNick

Default Cross Climates every time

Appreciate that this is a very subjective topic, adding my experience here on our 2012 xc90 exec with 18inch wheels.

Moved from pilot sports to cross climates on the front wheels and what a difference. Motorway driving mostly, Chose the Cross Clinates as the decibel rating was better (but was highly suspicious if it made a difference), car drives better (softer?) smoother and quieter.

Will be changing the rears to CC when due.
WirralNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 12:09   #1099
Emeye

Are you guys buying tyres with a load index 103 or 107?

The different tyre company websites say different things when I put my reg in, but a thread on here says they come with 103 from the factory.

ETA mine are 235 60 R18
Emeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 12:42   #1100
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
Are you guys buying tyres with a load index 103 or 107?

The different tyre company websites say different things when I put my reg in, but a thread on here says they come with 103 from the factory.

ETA mine are 235 60 R18
XC90's (phase 1) use V speed and load rated 103 tyres from the factory, personally I use 107's, I prefer the slightly stiffer sidewalls, IMO better handling.

Tyre's always will be a very personal and subjective choice.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post: