Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Sunroof problem

Views : 2938

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2018, 11:40   #1
Harry S
Harry S

Angry S60 Sunroof problem

Good day. I drive a 2011 Volvo S60 D3. Since I have had this car...+-5 years I have never had any issues with the sunroof. This morning, on my way to work, I used the tilt option to tilt it open. 30km further when I got to work my sunroof did not want to close. I did disconnect the battery for 20 mins, I locked and unlocked the car with the key option 3 times, I triggered the alarm and reset it. As far as I can tell it is only the sunroof that does not work. It is completely dead.
I eventually manually cranked it closed. I am too scared to see if it will work properly now as I don't want it to be stuck open.
Is there anyone that may know what this issue may be and what I can do to fix it?

Regards,
Harry
Harry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 02:56   #2
Harry S
Harry S

Just to bring everyone up to speed. I have tested the sunroof and found that it will tilt but not close. So it definatel has power. What would prevent the sunroof from following its normal settings ie; tilt close, slide close. I called the volvo dealer out here where I am (Johannesburg, South Africa) and all they can say is bring it in so we can reset it and see if it will work. Is there a way I can reset it myself? Instead of paying them to do it and it may not even work? I have also connected the obd2 and got no fault codes at all.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 09:54   #3
Chief inspector
Master Member

Have you tried a good whack with your hand? They can just get stuck sometimes.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 10:11   #4
Harry S
Harry S

Thanks for the ressponse. Where would I wack it? Where the motor is or the sunroof, on the inside or outside?
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 21:30   #5
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S View Post
Thanks for the ressponse. Where would I wack it? Where the motor is or the sunroof, on the inside or outside?
In the direction you want it to move, I assume you mean it wont slide forward, so the trailing edge of the moving panel, from front to back, - not hard just a thump with your fist.

DO NOT thump it downwards if what you mean is its elevated at the back and wont go down, that will break it.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 12:28   #6
Harry S
Harry S

I understand. Unfortunately my sunroof is only elevating at the back. It refuses to sut once it is elevated and it will not slide neither.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 10:20   #7
Harry S
Harry S

Quick up date and to ask any advise. Yesterday I disconnected the car battery and crossed the pos and neg poles. I waited like like that for 10 min and reconnected again. sunroof has started to work but its like the switch has gotten confused and does the opposite to everything I am requesting it to. I have done the calibrating of window switches being pulled up with key in pos 11 (note my car is a push button start), and also closed the door and opened the door from inside. However nothing is working accurately to calibrate the sunroof correctly now. is there any other way I can calibrate the sunroof to work correctly?
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 11:47   #8
Harry S
Harry S

Talking

Another update. this time a happy one. I got the sunroof to calibrate and work correctly. My method.

Ensure the key is in operation II option. Push sunroof button upwards (this tilts the sunroof open). Keep finger on button. After a few seconds the sunroof will tilt close and slide open all the way. continue to Keep your finger on the button and the sunroof will slide close again. Eventually the sunroof is in the closed position...Still keep your finger on the button. While the sunroof is now closed and your finger is still pushing on the button do a slow count to 30 seconds. Release the button, remove the key from the ignition and switch the car off.
Use the remote to lock and unlock the car. Put key in ignition and operate the button as per normal. (this has just worked for me). I'm so happy that I can dance a jig.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harry S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 17:25   #9
Freetime

Smile sunroof jammed open on tilt

Just had my sunroof tilted open, now it will not close. The motor runs on open but no movement of roof. disconnected the battery for the night. Just praying we do not have heavy rain. will try your re-set in morning when its a bit lighter just in case I have to try other options.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 17:24   #10
briancrown
briancrown

2004 S60 sun roof opened when driving could only closed when removing switch cover
briancrown is offline   Reply With Quote