Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1979 Volvo 245 DeLuxe Automatic Wagon B21A 2127cc

Views : 7048

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 19:29   #1
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

Unhappy 1979 Volvo 245 DeLuxe Automatic Wagon B21A 2127cc

This is a very reluctant sell of my pride and joy due to a move to Canada in February.

I purchased the Volvo in July 2007 and the previous owner was the first and only other for 28 years. It has been garaged all it’s life until I took ownership. There is just short of 60k miles on the clock with MOTs from early on to prove the genuine low mileage. I’ve completed approximately 3.5k miles since purchase attending classic car shows / runs and Irish Volvo Meets.

The engine (B21A) is a 2127cc carburettor engine and driven by a 3-speed automatic gearbox. The choke fires the engine up as it should and the power is plentiful for a ‘79 which pulls well around town and on the motorway. The automatic box sails through the gears as it should and kick-down is responsive. I’ve always kept the transmission fluid topped up despite a minor drip-leak when performing warm.

The body is in excellent condition for it’s age and mileage. I had a small amount of surface rust repaired on the rear arches at Easter and whilst that work was carried out I had the steel wheels painted black and underneath the body waxoyl’d. The door bottoms, tailgate bottom, arches and gutter mounts are free from rust. The only discrepancy would be spots of moss on the roof top from the addition of the full length classic style roof rack which has wood slats running down it, but there is no paint damage.

The interior is in lovely condition and features a rare dark blue vinyl upholstery (special order when new). I managed to source a US dealer spec centre armrest in a matching colour which only compliments the look and driving comfort. In an attempt to keep the vinyl in good condition I added a navy beaded seat cushion to the drivers seat. I also painted the padded dashboard trim to match the upholstery. The dash, door cards, carpets, roof lining and rear cargo floor are all in great condition.

In general, the car has been well maintained. I had a full service carried out by my mechanic when I purchased the car using genuine parts, which included the timing belt and fluid changes. At the time of the bodywork, new rear brake pads where fitted. Pre-MOT last August the balls joints where replaced and the car sailed through a strict NI MOT testing. All four tyres are good as is the spare. I used the car once or twice a mouth at the weekend which usually consisted of a jaunt down the country for a show/run/meet and would gladly take the car anywhere without hesitation.

As you should expect, there are a couple of weaknesses to the car; the drivers door speaker does not work, but it once did; I believe it’s a bad connection where the wire runs from the dash to the door. The temperature gauge does not work correctly; I think the needle is faulty on the back of the instrument. The rear passenger door does not open; it worked up until Easter last year so my mechanic greased the mechanisms and it was fine again until sometime over Christmas; I can only assume the cold weather effected the mechanisms somehow.

As well as the centre armrest and roof rack, I’ve also added white wall tyre inserts, internal adjustable mirrors, scuttle panel snow vent, a couple of grille badges and numerous window stickers.

MOT’d until August, Tax’d until the end of January; if required, I can tax it for a further six or twelve months at your own cost.

Viewing is highly recommended. The Volvo is located in Bushmills, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland. If your on the mainland I’d be happy to meet you at either of the local airports (City of Derry, Belfast International or Belfast City).

£1200 or best offer - must sell this month!!

P.S. I will also have a '96 850 TDI Wagon for sale soon.

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 20:21   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I've seen this car in the flesh, excellent example, and worth every penny of £1200. Good luck with the sale Darren, i dont know how you're doing this, it would break my heart to sell my white lady

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 23:24   #3
scooters

lovely example and very very tempting.
will consult the coffers and get back to you
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 23:28   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooters View Post
lovely example and very very tempting.
will consult the coffers and get back to you
I'm staying in Edinburgh at the end of the month, so if you agreed a price with Darren all you need to do is pay the ferry and i'll drive it over for you too

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 23:36   #5
scooters

arrrgh stop tempting me!!!!

My fleet is spiralling out of control.

at the moment I have the following:

1997 940 Sport Estate (the maroon one with the anthracite alloys that Steve had down in cornwall)
1990 Jag Sov on LPG
1993 Daimler Double Six 6lt V12
1972 Daf 44

I've just bought a 1972 Daf 55 Marathon Saloon - you will have seen this car on page 22 of Practical Classics on the features about rally cars.

The XJ6, Daimler and 44 are all up for sale.

I am very very very tempted by Darren's gorgeous car and your Edinburgh jaunt makes it all the more tempting

get behind me satan!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 23:46   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Darren has my number and you sort the details with him, not a problem for me to bring it over, i'm stayin at the holiday inn near the town centre, i'm there from the 30th jan until the 1feb. You really be disappointed with the car, i've never seen one cleaner, and Darren treats it like a kid

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 23:59   #7
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

scooters, sounds like your asking for plenty of persuasion, and if you ask me, it looks like you need another classic in your fleet to even up the odds a little!

If your interested feel free to PM or call me. I'd be happy to sort you out with more pictures of the car or if theres anything specific your interested in, and if you like I'd be able to go around the car with you on the phone and let you know exactly what's what (I do this if buying from the mainland!). I'd really prefer this car go to an enthusiast that'll keep it good and enjoy it.

It wouldn't be a problem to trust NI_Volvo_Nut to deliver it to Edinburgh either!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:01   #8
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post

It wouldn't be a problem to trust NI_Volvo_Nut to deliver it to Edinburgh either!
MUG, he trusts me

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:48   #9
scooters

Thanks chaps. Darren, all looks great from photos and trust you as a fellow VOC member - the car is clearly a good one and hardly breathed in for a 240. Much will depend on the state of the coffers and how to swing it past the Finance Director (if you get my drift). Certainly will be offing both the Jag and Daimler this month.

I'll sleep on this and come back to you

cheers

rich
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 22:30   #10
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

No problem.

I forgot to mention, but for anybody interested, the 245 is also equipped with legal aluminium pressed number plates, a Nautilus twin air horn ( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8V9cafaGGOY - fantastic around town!!), a reversing beeper bulb and some Phillips H4 X-treme Power headlight bulbs. Just a couple of little niceties usually taken for granted!

Tags
1979, 245, automatic, b21a, estate