Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tow bar wiring - help please!

Views : 738

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2023, 21:27   #1
Redr0cket

Lightbulb Tow bar wiring - help please!

Hi all,
I have a 2003 V40 2.0 Sport that has a tow-bar and wiring that wasn’t working correctly. I have removed all of the tow-bar wiring (maybe I should have tried some more to troubleshoot it first….) to start from scratch, but now I’m concerned that the relays / fuses that were spliced into the birds nest of wires means that this isn’t going to be straight forward. I just need lighting - nothing else. Is anybody able to give me a definitive answer to the following please:

-which colour wires on the Volvo do the 7 Pin colour wires connect to?
- can I simply splice the wires from the tow-bar to the associated wires on the Volvo?
- is there a dedicated wiring kit for this car? I have a feeling that there isn’t after looking online… it looks like it’s 2004 and onwards.

Thanks in advance.
Redr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 23:10   #2
Jms153

Had an S40 and a V40 in the past that shared the same towbar and electrics
Wiring was genuine Volvo parts that were plug and play, not sure if still available from dealers, or try local salvage yard for one that may have Volvo kit on it
Jms153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 19:43   #3
cogs

When I wired up the electrics for my V40 2.0 SE 2002 I simply spliced into the appropriate wire on the rear loom running across the back of the car. If you have a multimeter or just a 12v test light you can identify the right wire by probing into the loom while operating the rear light. To be legal and pass an MOT you should have a beeber buzzer sounding when you operate the indicators while your caravan/trailer lights are plugged into the car socket.

Halfords use to sell the buzzers some years ago not ureif they still do.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, tow bar, towbar electrics, towbar wiring, wiring