Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VOLVO staying part of Ford..

Views : 1375

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 18:34   #1
smanker

Default VOLVO staying part of Ford..

Reuters
"Ford wants Volvo to run on more stand-alone basis
Tuesday March 4, 12:35 pm ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (NYSE:F - News) said on Tuesday it is developing a new business plan for Volvo that will include the Swedish luxury brand operating on a more stand-alone basis.

The U.S. automaker said in slides posted on its Web site that it wants to "establish appropriate business arrangements to allow Volvo to operate on a more stand-alone basis."

It also said a "top priority is to return Volvo to sustainable profitability," according to the slides.

Analysts say Volvo is the most valuable of Ford's three European luxury brands. Ford, which has not broken out results for individual brands in the past, said beginning this year it plans to disclose results for Volvo, which it acquired in 1999.

Ford in November took Volvo off the auction block and said it would integrate Volvo more closely into purchasing and development efforts. At the time, Ford Chief Executive Alan Mulally said the focus would be on improving Volvo's cost structure and brand positioning, although he stopped short of ruling out an eventual sale of the unit.

Ford is in the process of selling its Land Rover and Jaguar operations to India's Tata Motors Ltd (Bombay:TAMO.BO - News) in a deal expected to close in the current quarter. Ford said in the slides that "significant progress" had been made in the talks with Tata and that "no major roadblocks" remain.

The slides were posted ahead of a presentation to analysts in conjunction with the Geneva auto show. The presentation was by Lewis Booth, a Ford executive vice president overseeing the automaker's European operations and its stable of European luxury brands.

(Reporting by Ben Klayman; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and John Wallace)"
smanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 18:48   #2
smanker

Default slide show from ford taling about volvo ...

http://www.ford.com/doc/ir_20080304_...onf_slides.pdf

slide number seven tells it all..

but go thru them xc 60 shown in detail
smanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 17:55   #3
shimon340

v.interesting!

where did you find that?
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 19:34   #4
saturnuranus
VOC Member

This is a rather old thread but an article about this is available here if you fancy a quick read.
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 19:48   #5
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

Reassuring to read and a step in the right direction for both Volvo and Ford.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:40   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

The problem with the IHT article is it is six months old and Arp has left/is leaving.
Ford are installing their own man (Stephen Odell) starting October and I think there will be a few nervous people in Sweden having a none Swede in charge.

Source
GMcL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 14:55   #7
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I think there will be a few nervous people in Sweden having a none Swede in charge.

Source
If he was a Volvophile like us then it wouldn't matter.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 22:13   #8
Volvophile
Premier Member

Strangely enough I didn't think Arp really did a very good job, nothing compared to Hans-Olov Olsson anyway. No great loss really.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 22:46   #9
GMcL
0's and 1's

Somehow I can't help think Mr. Odell is only fattening up the lamb/calf for the auction house.
He is a Ford man through and through (joined them in 1980 as a graduate and worked up through the ranks), Mullaly has already said anything without a (Ford) blue badge is negotiable...

Last edited by GMcL; Sep 9th, 2008 at 22:48.
GMcL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:13   #10
shimon340

Hans Olsson was a good CEO. He was fond of the brand and determined to not let new volvo models built under Fords ownership be weak in their adherence to Volvo standards and qualities/character.

It seems from the outside that Arp was less of a volvo-phile and more just a swede who was in management. Without being at any of the meetings with Ford you can never really know.

Odell has a strong background in sales and marketing at Mazda and Jag north america. I think Volvo needs stronger sales and marketing input and more aggressive advertising etc

Mullay is trying desperately to get Ford profitable. Ford has no worldwide premium brand except volvo now. Mercury and Lincoln cant go worldwide. takes too long to build a brand's image.

Ford could sell volvo and loose R&D, ideas and engineering benefits to a competitor. This is part of why they arent sellig. with volvo's R&D ideas going (if they were sold) Ford would be worse off and also with only the cheaper end of the market and no premium lines, they would be very weak with much reduced market presence in comparison to Vw with their Audi line, Fiat even has Alfa, Toyota has Lexus....see... ford needs Volvo.

Mullay could get Ford profitable by selling everything. But then, you are profitable with a weaker market presence...not a good long term move
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote