Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800 es gearbox filler question

Views : 1005

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2023, 13:23   #1
DeanSheldon

Default 1800 es gearbox filler question

Hi, I have just replaced the speedo angle drive seals on my 1800es manual and I need to top up the gearbox oil. The filler plug above the drain plug is totally rounded off and impossible to move. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fill The gearbox from the top if I were to remove the console carpets etc? The car is on ramps at the front at the moment and not ideal for messing about with the rounded nut, I am hoping that can wait until I have better access, thanks, Dean
DeanSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 16:27   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Because you have an extension on your gearbox for the gearstick it isn't easy to fill from the top. At the very front close to the bell housing is the overdrive switch. If you can get to that from inside you can remove it and fill from there. Yours may have an access panel there. See pic. I would persevere with the filler plug. It might need heat or a nut welded to it. A garage visit might be needed. They are used to that sort of thing. Just don't be tempted to drain the oil before it is out! YT link for a general look at your GB/OD unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llQV2JkKbhM&t=57s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo-p1800-body-shell-5.jpg (58.5 KB, 18 views)
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 16:43   #3
DeanSheldon

Thanks Derek, that's very helpful.I'll check for the access panel tomorrow failing that I agree, a visit to a garage is on the cards, thanks again, Dean
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 18:02   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

The access panel in the top of the transmission tunnel ended with chassis # 30,000. Yours being an ES will almost certainly not have the access panel on the top of the tunnel.

Aside from the physical difficulty associated with trying to fill through the OD switch port, accurate fill level will be impossible to determine. The procedure is to use a pump and fill through the fill plug until oil runs out the fill plug. Clearly, the car needs to be relatively level to get an accurate measurement. If you have the M41, unless you remove the OD cover (and probably the internal filter cover) you will not get a complete drain and you cannot use the specified oil capacities to determine the amount of fill. Have a replacement gasket on hand if you remove the cover. Even if you remove the OD cover plate you can never get the specified capacity back in because the internal surfaces always retain an oil coating during the change.

The weapons of the Devil may assist you with plug removal. These consist of the biggest slip joint or Vise Grip pliers that you can find. I have both. My slip joint has 12" long handles and with a good grip you can twist the head off of 5/16" bolts without problem.

So you need to be able to remove the fill plug in order to get an accurate fill level. Whether you take it to a mechanic or try the weapons of the devil is your choice. Doing this with the car up on a hoist will be much easier and safer and will also facilitate an accurate fill once the plug is removed.

Have a new replacement plug on hand ahead of time because these may not be so common. I don't know whether the plug uses the common NPT threads.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 20:11   #5
DeanSheldon

Thanks 142 guy.

I won't bother looking for the panel under the carpet but I will have another go at the nut with a slip joint at the weekend.

Does anyone know whether there are different types of angle drive fitted to the 1800es? mine is a VDO which has 33/4811 stamped on it.

The seals I received from Brookhouse were an o-ring and a small round disc (not the top hat I have read about and was expecting)

Thanks

Dean
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 20:23   #6
DeanSheldon

VDO.jpg

Rather poor picture of the existing angle drive and new seals, Dean
Old Jul 11th, 2023, 12:30   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think #380752 is the "top hat".

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...7J%27_Type_B20
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2023, 17:31   #8
DeanSheldon

Thanks Derek
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 19:32   #9
DeanSheldon

Hello again, I have removed the shaft and fitted the larger seal. When I insert the 'top hat' seal which is more like a small polo mint the two faces 0n the left no longer touch as the seal will not fully enter the recess. I have seen photos of seals which are a top hat shape which I think would allow both faces to marry up as they did when I removed the shaft. There was a small home made seal in the recess when I removed it. Is there another type of seal available? thanks, Dean Removed shaft.jpg
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 08:06   #10
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSheldon View Post
Hello again, I have removed the shaft and fitted the larger seal. When I insert the 'top hat' seal which is more like a small polo mint the two faces 0n the left no longer touch as the seal will not fully enter the recess. I have seen photos of seals which are a top hat shape which I think would allow both faces to marry up as they did when I removed the shaft. There was a small home made seal in the recess when I removed it. Is there another type of seal available? thanks, Dean Attachment 149299
I think you may have the wrong seal, the correct one looks like the top hat in a Monopoly set (and is about the same size).

I can't find the original photos, but you can see them in this link:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=641

... this is on an Amazon, but it is the same gearbox and speedo drive as you have I think (Type D O/D). If I recall the top hat seal was completely missing from my motor car (which is why it was leaking); you may see where the seal goes in the third photo.

The top hat seal solved the problem completely. It came from Brookhouse Volvo, part #380192 and cost £5.20 +VAT.

Good fortune,

Alan

Afternote: from the photo you posted it looks like you have the wrong size O ring fitted as well, it should completely fill the well in the middle of the unit (see the photos in my link above). I'm pretty sure this is the same part as for a fuel injector (Brookhouse Volvo part #960198) - or you could just find a nitrile O ring that fits better in your local motor factor.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 18th, 2023 at 08:17.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote