Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

75K service on V50 E4 engine

Views : 1009

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 19:23   #1
7050man
Master Member

Default 75K service on V50 E4 engine

There has been some discussion re the extremely high price of this service on other threads. I've been quoted £1100 form one dealer and just under £900 from another. My thoughts are turning to how I can reduce costs when the the time comes.

A couple of options (with questions) arise.

1: can I do the fitting of the filter and let the dealer carry out the rest (and get the book stamped)?

If so, is the particulate filter easy to fit with only the use of axle stands.?

Is there a Ford equivalent that will undoubtedly be cheaper than the Volvo part?

Is there a pattern part equivalent?

2: has anyone been to a Ford dealership and asked about them fitting the filter and if so what is the price diference (if any)?

3: has anyone had this service carried out by an independant and what was their experience? ie what part did they use (Ford, Volvo, pattern) and any performance issues afterwards.

I'll try and do some digging around myself, but meanwhile if anyone has experiences, recomendations, or advice, then I'd be grateful for your reply.

regards.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:01   #2
Griffsters

I'm just coming up to this myself so am giving it some thought. I think i'm going to leave to particulate filter until it gives trouble - i may get another 10k or so miles out of it who knows? I've spoken to the Volvo garage and they are happy with that but recommend topping up the additive tank.

I'll be interested in responses to this as well tho as its inevitable that its going to need doing sooner or later - and cheaper the better!
Griffsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 16:43   #3
7050man
Master Member

Well obviously not too much of an issue for most here due to responses, but I do have a bit more info on costs.

First can not find any pattern part available, so it would have to be a Volvo part that was purchased.

Second, I went to local Ford agent yesterday and asked about cost of 75k service for equivalent Focus. Girl at service desk was very helpful, although she did take ages getting info, partly because she said that they have not carried out many services on cars that have particulate filter.
Ford it appears have not been in the particulate filter game as long as Volvo on these engines.

Anway cost of this service for Focus was £954. I expect that there are going to be a lot of disgruntled Ford owners when this service is due.

Finally, went to parts dept, and cost of filter is £365. Looking at parts diagram, it bolts to the cat filter on the silencer side, so looks awkward to get off unless you have proper lift or pit available

This is similar I think to Volvo price.

Next thing is to price up other car service costs. £900 + every couple of years is no laughing matter for us non corporate drivers.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote