Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drive V50 Oil

Views : 1221

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2010, 13:35   #1
7050man
Master Member

Default Drive V50 Oil

Does anyone know:
1. what specific Brand, Grade and type of oil is used in V50 Drive varients (my 10) from factory?

2. Any recomendations at time of change?

I've been told by local dealer that Castrol 0-30 fully synthetic, A5/B5 , C2 spec is what they fit, specifically branded for Volvo.

I know that low sulphated ash content is necessary and am quite happy to use top spec oil as these engines can achieve alot if all conditions are correct.

I've checked Castrol site and they say refer to Manufacturer and don't quote for this engine.

MObil seem to have the answer with Super 3000 Formula P 5w-30.

By the way, I have checked out otherl main brands, Shell, Mobil, Castrol including data sheets etc so am aware of some options.

Can any dealers out there say what they would put in if they were carrying out the service.

Thanks
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 19:48   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man View Post
MObil seem to have the answer with Super 3000 Formula P 5w-30.
Hello 7050,

All my searches for Super 3000 Formula P 5w-30 turned out negative, did you mean Super 3000 Formula FE 5w-30? if yes then that oil is A1/B1 only.

I'm no dealer, but I would recommend Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30, This One -link-
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 14:12   #3
7050man
Master Member

Hi Guru, thanks for your reply.

Re Mobil, no it was super 3000 Formula P 5-30.

I did a search on UK website and that was where I found it.

Link is here.

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lube...a_P_5W-30.aspx.

THis oil meets all the spec requirements but is also described as designed for exhaust aftertreatment systems and DPFs.

Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30
High performance motor oil
Product Description
Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 is a low ash high performance motor oil designed to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of the car exhaust Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles.

Features and Benefits
Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 delivers excellent high and low temperature wear-protection and improved engine cleanliness.

Key features and benefits:

•Low Ash, low phosphorous and low sulfur formulation helping to prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of the Emission Reduction Systems in both Diesel and Gasoline powered engines.
•Fully compatible with most Diesel Particulate Filters and Catalytic Convertors.
•Help achieve fuel economy (as per ACEA A5/B5).
•Excellent low temperature capabilities for reliable cold weather starting allowing fast engine and electrical system protection.
•High performance wear-protection.
•Active cleaning agents reducing deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life.
Applications
Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 is recommended for a variety of modern automotive engines, especially the high-performance gasoline, turbo-diesel injection with common rail and other diesel engines, found in the latest passenger cars, SUV's and light vans.

Not recommended for 2-cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals
Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
ACEA C2

Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290

Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 is of quality level:
API CF

In addition, Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 meets the engine test requirements of ACEA A5/B5 and API SL.

Typical Properties
Mobil Super 3000 Formula P 5W-30 Property Explanation
Viscosity, ASTM D 445 The ease with which oil flows at a specified temperature. Lower viscosity oils are 'thinner' and hence flow more quickly than high viscosity oils.
cSt @ 40º C 60
cSt @ 100º C 10.5
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 The amount of ash that remains when the remainder of the oil is burned off. 0.7
Phosphorous The amount of phosphorus contained in the oil. Phosphorus typically comes from anti-wear additives). 0.08
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 The temperature at which lubricant vapours ignite in the presence of a flame. 226
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 Defined as mass per unit volume. 0.85
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 The lowest temperature at which the lubricant will still flow. -39
The Following User Says Thank You to 7050man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 15:39   #4
Flanaia1

FWIW don't put Mobil 1 near this engine if it is the 1.6d Drive unit that is in my V50, we have seen failures of this engine as low as 46,000 miles and they all had one thing in common, all running on Mobil 1.

You can buy the Catrol Oil from the dealer it's not that expensive or just go on that well known auction site plenty of Castrol for your Engine on there.

If you want an alternative then ***hs also do one thats suitable can't remember which one but theri website will tell you or go with the Mobil alternative you have already identified.

Also the 12500 mile service interval is too long for this car had some oil analysis done on mine at 25k and the results wer shocking now drop my oil ever 5k - 6k and its much better also fuel consumption increases towards the end of the service interval another good reason for an oil change earlier.

Just my 2p worth for what its worth
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 09:55   #5
7050man
Master Member

Thanks Flanaia1.

Your 2p worth is very welcome.

Incidently, can you enlarge on oil analysis that you had done. How where, results?

Also you say we have seen engine failures at 46k, who is "we". Is this Volvo dealer or some other motoring related orginisation?