Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83225

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2018, 20:01   #511
adarvasi

Hello Army,
I am impressed with the good condition of your instrument cluster! I "restored" one that was given to me, but I am not 100% satisfied with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Instrument Cluster.jpg (118.6 KB, 15 views)
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 06:02   #512
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarvasi View Post
Hello Army,
I am impressed with the good condition of your instrument cluster! I "restored" one that was given to me, but I am not 100% satisfied with the results.
Your's looks a lot smarter in your picture than mine.

I haven't done anything to the one I've just fitted. All of the bulbs are blown so they need to be replaced. I'm not sure if the instruments work - I figured I'd do that once I get round to re-wiring the vehicle. A spare instrument cluster came with the car: I assume the speedometer or odometer is broken in that one - I haven't checked.

To be honest the instrument cluster is a pretty low priority for me on this car at the moment!
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 15:59   #513
Army
marches on his stomach

Default As the temperature in the workshop rises...

...there's a chance I'll get some more Volvo things done!

(The last few days it has been far too close to freezing to enable the motivation needed to change into thermal overalls)

Today I had a quick look at that (silly) pesky vinyl trim that goes between the wings and the body.

Following the method seen on the old parts I'm snipping out excess material to help keep the vinyl flat as it goes round corners

I plan to glue the trim onto the back part of the wing where it is obvious where the trim is going to fit i.e. right on the edge - for the front part of the wing it is not so clear exactly where the trim will sit so I'm planning to leave that bit unglued so I can adjust it if need be

Just a few more snips needed and then I'll have to find the hollow punch set I think I've got somewhere along with a white / light coloured pen to mark the positions of the holes - I considered chalk (which I'm sure old school Volvo technicians used) but I imagine I'll be rubbing it off and punching holes in the wrong places if I'm not careful (know your limitations...)
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 16:30   #514
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Army;

Is that official fender welt from Volvo or something a third party is offering?

...the reason I ask is that from here, that material looks like simply the standard fabric-backed vinyl sewn around a core...that is typical of what is used on edges in the interior, but I wouldn't expect to see that style of material on the exterior, where the cotton backing fabric would hold moisture (and moisture held in a seam immediately gives me a scare...!) I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade...but for exterior use, I would expect to see non-fabric backed vinyl which won't hold moisture long-term...any thoughts, or have I identified the white component wrong?

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 16:54   #515
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Army;

Is that official fender welt from Volvo or something a third party is offering?

...the reason I ask is that from here, that material looks like simply the standard fabric-backed vinyl sewn around a core...that is typical of what is used on edges in the interior, but I wouldn't expect to see that style of material on the exterior, where the cotton backing fabric would hold moisture (and moisture held in a seam immediately gives me a scare...!) I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade...but for exterior use, I would expect to see non-fabric backed vinyl which won't hold moisture long-term...any thoughts, or have I identified the white component wrong?

Cheers
I completely agree Ron - it is why I've been calling it silly stuff...

...I bought it from the vkv webshop here in Holland but I understand they got it from VP automotive in Sweden. If I remember correctly it is exactly the same stuff that came off the car - I'll do a picture tomorrow (assuming I can find it in the pile of "what came off")

As far as I am aware this is the stuff that Volvo used back in the day - there is a plastic alternative offered by the vkv as well

Here's a link =>

https://www.volvokv.nl/producten/pro...gory_pathway-2

I've been worried about water getting trapped between the panels - vinyl roofs for example are famous for it - which is why I'm planning to add in a sealant once I've got the trim in the correct position

It is - with out doubt - a daft system
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 17:53   #516
arcturus
arcturus

Never had any problems with mine.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:47   #517
Austinvolvo

VP also sells the solid plastic stuff.

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?p...le&artno=13220

Dean
Austinvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 11:26   #518
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Never had any problems with mine.
Unless things get really bad the only time you'll see a problem is when you remove the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinvolvo View Post
VP also sells the solid plastic stuff.

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?p...le&artno=13220

Dean
Thanks - I've seen that but the problem as I see it is that you are introducing an element between two parts that might act as a sponge or an area that traps water. I'm going to be using sealant on what ever gets stuffed between these wings...
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 15:23   #519
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

Typically, damage due to moisture takes its time, so problems wouldn't be immediately obvious...but it can only serve to accelerate corrosion issues...

It is up to us to always consider long-term affects of anything we do to our cars...and a moisture inclusion into a seam popped out at me...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 16:14   #520
arcturus
arcturus

When the wings were removed for the first time as far as I know, by me, after being in place for over fifty years there were very few signs of corrosion!