Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto dimming rear view mirror - Volvo newbie

Views : 2562

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 12:36   #1
freddyg

Default Auto dimming rear view mirror - Volvo newbie

Hi All,

Maybe this is a dumb question as this is my first Volvo.

I have had my September '17 XC60 2.0 D4 SE Lux Nav for two weeks now and am really pleased with it. There are a couple of quirks that are taking some getting used to (like the electric handbrake by my right knee), but on the whole the experience is a positive one.

One problem though is the rear view mirror. I believe it is supposed to be 'auto dimming', however it seems to be permanently dark. At dusk, I can't see anything. Is there a way to adjust or reset it?

Many thanks.
freddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 14:47   #2
S60RDesign

I can't remember from the top of my head but there could be an option in the settings menu to enable or disable auto dimming, unless I'm confusing it with my old car. It's one of those things that should just work and you have no need to tweak. If the mirror is dark in daytime there would seem to be a fault and you'll need to take it back to the dealer.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 16:08   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The dimming action on mine is very subtle, although I believe it to be working and I've no complaints.

My rear view vision in daylight is clear, just as though it was a slightly tinted conventional mirror. It sounds as though your's is defective?

I've never seen an adjustment for it, despite spending a lot of time playing with the vehicle settings.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 23:33   #4
I Feel Old

May sound daft…have you tried adjusting the position of the mirror? It may be in the wrong position to start with.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 00:05   #5
mdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg View Post
Hi All,

Maybe this is a dumb question as this is my first Volvo.

I have had my September '17 XC60 2.0 D4 SE Lux Nav for two weeks now and am really pleased with it. There are a couple of quirks that are taking some getting used to (like the electric handbrake by my right knee), but on the whole the experience is a positive one.

One problem though is the rear view mirror. I believe it is supposed to be 'auto dimming', however it seems to be permanently dark. At dusk, I can't see anything. Is there a way to adjust or reset it?

Many thanks.
Same problem here. Always too dark, and no apparent adjustment. But I've read that one of the last software updates corrects or alleviates the problem. I've not installed it yet.
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 09:48   #6
I-S
Premier Member

Do you have anything in front of the mirror, eg an air freshener or dashcam or anything? If the light sensor on the front of the mirror (ie facing out of the windscreen) is blocked then it will think it is dark outside but light behind and so will apply full dimming.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 14:39   #7
freddyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
May sound daft…have you tried adjusting the position of the mirror? It may be in the wrong position to start with.

Yep. All fine positionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
Same problem here. Always too dark, and no apparent adjustment. But I've read that one of the last software updates corrects or alleviates the problem. I've not installed it yet.
Where do you get the software update from? Is it dealer installed or can I do it myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Do you have anything in front of the mirror, eg an air freshener or dashcam or anything? If the light sensor on the front of the mirror (ie facing out of the windscreen) is blocked then it will think it is dark outside but light behind and so will apply full dimming.
Nope. Nothing in front of the mirror.
freddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 05:07   #8
mdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg View Post

Where do you get the software update from? Is it dealer installed or can I do it myself?
Dealer.
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 22:47   #9
hancym
Master Member

I have the reverse problem on my 2010 Xc60. My rear view mirror doesn't dim half as much as I'd like. Is it actually possible to gt the level of tint adjusted by software?
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote