Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 ('96) Auto speedo sensor

Views : 1842

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 20:46   #1
Devon Farmer

Question 440 ('96) Auto speedo sensor

I'm sure it isn't just me, but does anyone know where I could get a (working) speedo sensor for a '96 2.0 auto GLT. New, aftermarket, used, made-up from bits!! This is the only thing wrong with the car and it is really annoying. other than getting the old one out, which is only slightly less annoying. Any tips anyone?
Devon Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 19:48   #2
dcw
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Farmer View Post
I'm sure it isn't just me, but does anyone know where I could get a (working) speedo sensor for a '96 2.0 auto GLT. New, aftermarket, used, made-up from bits!! This is the only thing wrong with the car and it is really annoying. other than getting the old one out, which is only slightly less annoying. Any tips anyone?
Are you sure it's the sensor? This is quite a common 480 problem - assuming the 440 set up is the same there is a plug connector in the wiring from the sensor to the instrument panel. Often the problem is there - cutting the wires (it's a shielded cable) and soldering the connections together instead can work wonders.

I am assuming your GLT has the info centre? Is the actual problem you are getting the speedo stopping working periodically, and no speed related info on the info centre? If so, then also check the connector plugs at the back of the instrument panel are fully home; another common culprit is dry solder joints on the instrument panel PCB.

Trying to remove the sensor itself often breaks it - beware! I do not know where you'd find another one other than a 400 being broken...

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 14:45   #3
Devon Farmer

Hi David,

Have had all of the dash out and resoldered everything, tested continuity of cables to the sensor connection below the airbox, then paired back the cores of the cable and check for any resistance measurable on the lines to the sensor. completely open circuit. So...I assume that the sensor is broken or a cable core has broken. I think that my next step is to cut the cable close to the sensor and check again as it looks almost impossible top get the sensor out without taking either the exhaust downpipe and starter off.
Carr off road until spring so will get to it sometime. Many thanks for your reply, Ian.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devon Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 13:21   #4
dcw
VOC Member

Hmmm...it does sound as if it is either the sensor itself or a break in the wiring very close to it, as you say. Keep us posted how you get on with the next stage you plan!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 21:11   #5
Devon Farmer

Smile Fixed!!!

Greetings one and all!, many thanks for the comments and help on the forum and I'm happy to report that following a short road test the speedo now works. Can't say this was easy, but I bought, in the end A Lemark LCS475 sensor. Now this doesn't fit, but it contains the correct coil so with a bit of modification and careful fettling it will go into the hole on the ZF box. Made up the cable loom and plugged it into the socket under the airbox and it works. Have found that the gearbox has some form of LS Diff as it doesn't like turning the wheels smoothly when up on stands & this is probably very stupid and dangerous, so don't try this at home kids!
Anyway we seem to be up and operational, will be out when it finally stops raining.
Cheers!