Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PHM with On Call: Facelift P2.5 module details

Views : 2914

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 17:38   #1
ectoplasmosis

Default PHM with On Call: Facelift P2.5 module details

I have dismantled a PHM from a UK MY06 car in order to find out more about how On Call is implemented as there is so little technical information about it available online.

Casing off:

Underside of GSM modem:

The GSM module has a 2FF mini-SIM slot on the underside, with a UK Vodafone SIM inserted from the factory. This is what facilitates the On Call functionality via voice & SMS. The GSM module supports data via GPRS but this is not used by On Call.

I do not know if the module is locked to this particular SIM or if the VOC infrastructure expects all VOC requests to come via this SIM only.

I have an old Ericsson T28 that I'll be putting this ancient 2G SIM into to see what can and can't be called/SMS'ed with it.

More images of the modem, it's a Wavecom WISMO Quik Q2406A-C:

Reverse of main PCB:

Motorola GPS module and keypad PCB:

Very sturdy die-cast alloy frame:

There are no fewer than five circuit boards inside the PHM, six if you count the discreet antenna PCB soldered to the modem.

No sign of a mic/speaker in the PHM, contrary to much of the information available online. There is a discreet GPS receiver however.

All visible capacitors are solid so should last much longer than the mix of solid and electrolytic in the '00-'05 pre-facelift PHM units.
ectoplasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 00:00   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Thanks for the "look inside".

Thanks for the disassembly and pictures.
I do not know what a PHM is. Obviously it's the package of communications products designed into the emergency alert systems.
It takes impact data from crash sensors as well as an on/off button.

In answer to your question regarding the SIM card. I'm betting it'll work IF the circuitry pinout is the same old-to-new. I base my guess on the fact that phone company personnel could throw SIM cards at people without documentation.

What are those thick wires with the brass connectors (visible prominently in pics. #1 and 7)? I assume they're coaxial "music carriers".

Was mere interest your motivation in disassembling the unit? It had its own SIM card in it, no? Kira

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Mar 17th, 2017 at 00:04. Reason: Endeavoring to make myself seem more intelligent by adding questions
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 10:44   #3
ectoplasmosis

The PHM is the PHone Module, the numerical keypad and On Call buttons in the dash to the left of the radio in P2 cars.

The SIM card is a standard 2G Vodafone item, but obviously has some very special carrier agreement because it can be used to call/text at least the prescribed Volvo On Call centre numbers from anywhere in Europe without any end-user billing. Whether there are any limitations to this is my question.

The brown cables with brass connectors are coaxial pigtails connecting the various RF transceivers in the module to connectors on the back of the PHM that then lead to antennae affixed to the windscreen of the car. One for GPS and two for GSM. There is also a small discrete antenna PCB soldered to the GSM modem module.

I took the thing apart out of curiosity as to how the On Call system is implemented. There is very little, often conflicting, technical information about it online.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 18:36   #4
marekbm

quite more complex than PHM without VOC :-) . i'm quite surprised that the Wavecom modem is used because it supports only one SIM. so they have to use some multiplex system to select which SIM is used. and also it requires some extra i/o pins to drive it.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 03:47   #5
ectoplasmosis

Would the potential SIM multiplexing make it more or less difficult to implement On Call functionality in your Bluetooth module?

I am more than willing to post you this PHM to reverse-engineer the GSM module if it means you could retain at least some On Call functionality with your module.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 08:45   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marekbm View Post
quite more complex than PHM without VOC :-) . i'm quite surprised that the Wavecom modem is used because it supports only one SIM. so they have to use some multiplex system to select which SIM is used. and also it requires some extra i/o pins to drive it.
Surely the VOC SIM is used exclusively for the emergency features, while the user-SIM is just for calls, so they are completely independent.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:21   #7
marekbm

mentioned somewhere else the VOC is not just about emergency. you can use is for many other features. and all this features have to use the VOC SIM. and also this PHM (phacelift P2.5) will not work if you put in into older model (with hu-x0x radios). so to test it you have to have also correct model year.
it will need to do reverse engineering from the scratch. so the connect serial scanner to the communication pins and find also all extra important driving pins regarding to VOC.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 19:43   #8
stefansoderstrom

Default Phm with voc

Hi did you fine anything by tex/sms phm voc sim card?

Stefan
stefansoderstrom is offline   Reply With Quote